• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Wiper motor repair fail

jballard81

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Well, figure I should share my fails when they happen as well so that maybe someone can learn from them!

Pulled my windshield wiper motor since it's never worked. I found the motor 'spindle' was actually rusted into the arm mechanism. Took me a minute to pry them apart.

Even though it's not a serviceable part I figured I would give it a shot.
1000006879.jpg

Forgive me if I use incorrect terminology. The copper stator where the brushes rub was pretty rough
1000006882.jpg

Took some 220 grit and shined it up and cleaned it out with some electronics spray.
1000006884.jpg

Added some fresh grease to the gears
1000006881.jpg

And slapped it back together. It all looked pretty good so I thought for sure it would come back to life.

It didn't :icon_rofl:

I'm going to check the switch, but I hear a relay clicking when I turn the wipers 'on'. Might try and direct power the motor before calling it. You can't win them all!

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
It's amazing how similar that looks to a small engine starter...

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Don't give up yet.

I haven't tore into one of these yet, so I'm sorry that I can't send you any pearls of wisdom.

I'm assuming that you did . . . but . . . you did confirm both power and ground were at the motor with the wiper switch on?

jballard81

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Don't give up yet.

I haven't tore into one of these yet, so I'm sorry that I can't send you any pearls of wisdom.

I'm assuming that you did . . . but . . . you did confirm both power and ground were at the motor with the wiper switch on?
Literally just performed the test on 81-3 of the EVTM. I had 12v on both 63 and 56 pins :(

Terrys87

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I always try to see if I can fix a broken part. Previous owner tried to tap the motor on mine and broke the magnets in it. Sometimes a little maintenance can go a long way on getting some parts working again.

jballard81

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I might tear it back apart and test stator windings. I think i saw something on youtube on how to do that

jballard81

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I always try to see if I can fix a broken part. Previous owner tried to tap the motor on mine and broke the magnets in it. Sometimes a little maintenance can go a long way on getting some parts working again.
it's weird b/c it spins nicely. magnets are in place. i'm guessing there's a short in the windings from it sitting idle for so long...

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Me too. Nothing holds a candle, compared to the original parts.

I'll rebuild something, if possible. It kills me to turn in an original as a core charge part.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
it's weird b/c it spins nicely. magnets are in place. i'm guessing there's a short in the windings from it sitting idle for so long...
The windings can be ohmed out, to test for an open or a short.

jballard81

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Well, interestingly enough... There's a QR code on the part 😂
1000006888.jpg

So I'm going to assume not an original part.. wonder if that's part of a date code. 2016 for the year maybe?

jballard81

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Update time!

received my new wiper motor today and plugged it in to make sure it worked.
-key to on, tried wiper nothing. ran wiper all the way to 'hi' and it worked!

started following the service manual diagnostics, got the part about testing the IWW module and decided to google it. found a youtube video:

so i pulled the multifunction switch out, promptly dropped it and broke a bunch of plastic.. but it was still mostly all there :LOL:

looking at the circuit board, i had the EXACT same cold solder joint that the guy from youtube had. can't really tell here, but its def a bad solder joint:
PXL_20240415_205325715~2.jpg

Added some more solder, put it back together and plugged it in... and now i have interval and 'lo' speed wipers again!

**special note on installation of wiper motor clip**
the service manual makes it look like the wiper motor clip has plenty of room on the spindle. it doesn't. further, it feels like the wiper arm assemblies take up too much room. i fiddled adjusting them for 10 minutes then decided to just TRY to put the motor clip back on.
even though it feels like not enough room, you will eventually catch an edge and get it to halfway install. don't give up there and retry like i did 10x. if you get one side of the clip mostly on, you can just PUSH DOWN the other side of the clip until it fits into position.
My replacement motor came with a new arm/spindle thingy. i finally figured this out by test fitting the motor clip onto the spare one i had.

this was very much my least favorite fix so far on this truck :icon_rofl:
i'm about 5'8" and trying to tip toe on a stool while leaning over the engine was less than pleasant...but it's done and now i don't have to be scared of the rain...

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Damn good work.

SALUT! :beer:

Terrys87

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Getting that clip back on is a total pain in the rear. Such a tight fit. Great job on finding the issue.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals