• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Wire Fan to A/C Switch

art1029

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
1993, MT, 2WD

Need some help from the guys that have added the dual speed electric Volvo fan to your Ranger. How do you wire the fan to turn on when the A/C is turned on?

Right now I have it set to turn on with a temp sensor in the upper radiator hose. When the A/C is on before the truck to warm enough, the condenser will get too hot and the high pressure A/C hose will get too hot and push all the freon out.

My thought is that I wire one speed to the temp sensor in the upper radiator hose and then second speed fan to the A/C switch. You think this will work?

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
No, that won't work

The Volvo temp switch is a Ground control switch
It has a ground wire, then 2 ground wires out, one for low speed relay and the other for high speed relay
As the switch warms up it grounds the low speed wire
If switch gets hot enough it grounds the high speed wire

AC clutch control is 12volt, so can't be hook up directly to ground wires

You will need to add a relay, activated by the 12v going to AC Clutch
The relay would then Ground either the low speed wire or high speed wire on the switch, your choice

Standard automotive relay looks like this: https://www.gtsparkplugs.com/images/mini-automotive-relay-wiring-840x.jpg

85 and 86 are used to activate the relay
30 and 87 are then connected when relay is activated

So run a ground wire to 85 and 30, they share the same wire
Then AC Clutch 12v wire to 86, to activate the relay
Then 87 will connected to either the low or high wire, spliced

When AC is on one of the temp switch's ground wires will be grounded thru the relay, so fan on
When AC is off temp switch still controls the fan for both speeds

Heads up on upper rad hose temp switches
Make sure the switch is on the side or lower part of the hose as these temp switches can only read fluid temp, not Air Temp
So if system gets low on coolant/fluid then fan can shut off if switch no longer has fluid flowing past it

Last edited:

97Ranger3.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4"
Tire Size
33x12.5
No, that won't work

The Volvo temp switch is a Ground control switch
It has a ground wire, then 2 ground wires out, one for low speed relay and the other for high speed relay
As the switch warms up it grounds the low speed wire
If switch gets hot enough it grounds the high speed wire

AC clutch control is 12volt, so can't be hook up directly to ground wires

You will need to add a relay, activated by the 12v going to AC Clutch
The relay would then Ground either the low speed wire or high speed wire on the switch, your choice

Standard automotive relay looks like this: https://www.gtsparkplugs.com/images/mini-automotive-relay-wiring-840x.jpg

85 and 86 are used to activate the relay
30 and 87 are then connected when relay is activated

So run a ground wire to 85 and 30, they share the same wire
Then AC Clutch 12v wire to 86, to activate the relay
Then 87 will connected to either the low or high wire, spliced

When AC is on one of the temp switch's ground wires will be grounded thru the relay, so fan on
When AC is off temp switch still controls the fan for both speeds

Heads up on upper rad hose temp switches
Make sure the switch is on the side or lower part of the hose as these temp switches can only read fluid temp, not Air Temp
So if system gets low on coolant/fluid then fan can shut off if switch no longer has fluid flowing past it
Would this be an accurate diagram based on how you described it?

The only thing I changed is I used the A/C relay to bypass the temperature switch when activated. The reason being, I'd imagine you wouldn't want the possibility of the A/C relay activating the High side of the fan motor and the temperature switch activating the Low side simultaneously. Or would that not matter?

IMG_0902.jpg

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
No

Here is how to wire the Volvo fan unit IF..........you want a switch in the cab OR key on only Fan

Other wise you do not need the relay, just fused power to Volvo relay 30
Now if the engine was hot when you shut it off the fan will continue to run until coolant temp is under low speed temp setting
Many vehicles have it set up that way
If you are worried about the battery draining then used the relay with key on power

So in your diagram "12v all" would be key on 12v or switch in cab on/off 12volt(although I would use the ground, 85, to a switch in the cab, just need 1 wire that way, whole cab is a ground, lol)

AC side is separate
Its relay is grounded, 85
12v from AC clutch , 86
30 ground
87 to Temp switch high
Nothing on 87A

The Volvo relay set up only powers low speed or high speed fan wires, that is all done inside the relays
i.e. the coolant heats up and low speed wire is grounded, if coolant gets hotter then high speed wire is also grounded, but low speed is still grounded, so if it cools off low speed power comes back when high speed power is off

AC relay will ground high speed or sensor will, doesn't matter, to activate the high speed fan
It will do that whether or not low was on or high was already on

I would wire to the low speed wire, because fan will come on with AC on even when engine is cold, also in winter when using Defrost
High speed will come on if coolant gets hot enough, so you don't really need AC to go directly to High speed, in my opinion

97Ranger3.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4"
Tire Size
33x12.5
No

Here is how to wire the Volvo fan unit IF..........you want a switch in the cab OR key on only Fan

Other wise you do not need the relay, just fused power to Volvo relay 30
Now if the engine was hot when you shut it off the fan will continue to run until coolant temp is under low speed temp setting
Many vehicles have it set up that way
If you are worried about the battery draining then used the relay with key on power

So in your diagram "12v all" would be key on 12v or switch in cab on/off 12volt(although I would use the ground, 85, to a switch in the cab, just need 1 wire that way, whole cab is a ground, lol)

AC side is separate
Its relay is grounded, 85
12v from AC clutch , 86
30 ground
87 to Temp switch high
Nothing on 87A

The Volvo relay set up only powers low speed or high speed fan wires, that is all done inside the relays
i.e. the coolant heats up and low speed wire is grounded, if coolant gets hotter then high speed wire is also grounded, but low speed is still grounded, so if it cools off low speed power comes back when high speed power is off

AC relay will ground high speed or sensor will, doesn't matter, to activate the high speed fan
It will do that whether or not low was on or high was already on

I would wire to the low speed wire, because fan will come on with AC on even when engine is cold, also in winter when using Defrost
High speed will come on if coolant gets hot enough, so you don't really need AC to go directly to High speed, in my opinion
Sorry, my handwriting is bad, what looks like 12V ALL is 12V ACC - like you had said I added that relay so that the fan would only come on with the key on.

Thanks for the clarification on the temp switch - I didn't realize the switch would ground both at the same time when the temp gets hot enough to activate the high side. But looking at this other diagram from that article I understand now why that isn't a concern, since it's setup to where both relays are not activated at the same time even if both are grounded.
Screen Shot 2023-09-24 at 8.54.37 AM.png

97Ranger3.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4"
Tire Size
33x12.5
When it comes to wiring I'm very visual and need to draw it out lol. So would this be correct? The main relay is optional for power only when the key is on, or just go straight fused from the battery as you said. And the A/C relay 87 wire could splice into either low or high.

IMG_0907.jpg

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Perfect (y)

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I used a four relay block off of amazon. On my truck the efan switch is a ground and the dash switch to the A/C compressor is 12v, so I wired it so either way it would ground the two relays for my dual fans (each fan has its own relay too)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals