• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

wires

Buba Ganushe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
V6
Transmission
Automatic
I know this has been asked many times but any suggestions on the spark plug wires i should/shouldn't get. Its a 99 btw thanks

Bob Ayers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I just bought a set of wires made by NGK from NAPA. $36, and they look like very good quality. I haven't installed them
yet.

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Howdy Buba

I know this has been asked many times but any suggestions on the spark plug wires i should/shouldn't get. Its a 99 btw thanks
I always buy the lifetime warranty wires from whatever parts house I'm going to at the time.

In real life wires is just wires! Until you get your engine over six grand any wire will suffice. However at high (really high) RPM the spark needed will have to come from another source besides the stock system. THAT spark may need better more secure wires to travel thru.

So for now just save as much money as you can and go with the NAPA or O'Reily or whatever house brand with a lifetime warranty and you cannot go wrong.
Big JIm:hottubfun::wub:

Bob Ayers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I always buy the lifetime warranty wires from whatever parts house I'm going to at the time.

In real life wires is just wires! Until you get your engine over six grand any wire will suffice. However at high (really high) RPM the spark needed will have to come from another source besides the stock system. THAT spark may need better more secure wires to travel thru.

So for now just save as much money as you can and go with the NAPA or O'Reily or whatever house brand with a lifetime warranty and you cannot go wrong.
Big JIm:hottubfun::wub:

Well, keep in mind with Ford's EDIS, the plugs fire every revolution of the crank, not every 2 revolutions of the crank as with a conventional ignition system. So, at 3K RPMs they are firing the equivalent of 6K RPMs.

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Sure do!

Well, keep in mind with Ford's EDIS, the plugs fire every revolution of the crank, not every 2 revolutions of the crank as with a conventional ignition system. So, at 3K RPMs they are firing the equivalent of 6K RPMs.
BUT one of the firings is under pressure and the other is simply a nominal firing with little if any pressure.
Big Jim:hottubfun::wub:

Bob Ayers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
BUT one of the firings is under pressure and the other is simply a nominal firing with little if any pressure.
Big Jim:hottubfun::wub:
It doesn't matter, the duty cycle of the HV will be the same as 2X the RPMs.

Colin

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Do not get Champion plugs and wires, your truck will run like shit and start mis-firing after 10 months. Learned that the hard way. :pissedoff:

Tedybear

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994, 2001
Make / Model
1994 Ford Bronc
Engine Size
5.8v8
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Failing is easy. Everyone can do it.
Recommend mid-range or higher grade for plug wires. We did the house brand a few times and got screwed each time with poor quality control. Sometimes it's better to spend an extra 5 or 10--

(example of getting 'screwed': Set for our '75 F250 with the 360 FE engine. Each wire that would attach to the disty cap? Was not fully formed or bent correctly. The wires would pop off the cap at will.....2nd example: Set for our BII...Missing one of the electrical connectors in the wire?!?!)

S-

JP02XLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I recently bought a set of Belden Magna core from Napa that are very similar constructed to MSD high end wires, they listed for ~$35 & seem to be of quality. Seem to be doing a fine job on my truck, had a very slight miss whenever you rolled into the throttle at highway speeds, this took care of it. Did not change the plugs they looked good. And like was mentioned before have a lifetime warranty.

JP02XLT

wahl_7s

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
6.4,3.0,3.0,4.0SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
only run motorcraft plugs kragen sells them or O'Reilly now i guess, the factory wires are really good just go to the dealer pucker up and buy them and not worry if you bought the right after market ones:D

Froggmann

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0FFV
Transmission
Manual
Do NOT buy Taylors. Poor fit, nearly impossible to install and remove from the plug end and don't last. I've already had to replace 1 spark plug wire, the set has about 15k on it.

Next set will be Motorcraft. I used Motorcraft on my 5.0 Mustang and they fit perfect and no issues with em' even at 80k+ miles.

Buba Ganushe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
V6
Transmission
Automatic
bought some autolight one still havent had time to install hopefull find a couple minutes to do the today thanks everyone

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals