• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

wiring fog lights to headlights

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I mounted aftermarket spot lights in my grill, and at the moment I spliced into the high beam wire. I noticed the actual spotlights are dim when wired into the lights vs the battery. Any fix for that or will I just have to run a switch.
You are running too many amps through the wire.
Two lights on wire gauge for 1 light = bad

You will melt the wire or the light switch, best case the fuse will blow before the melting

That is what relays are for.
A relay doesn't draw amps(well very little), so can be connected to the "high beam" wire so when high beam is activated the relay closes.

Your battery wire connects to one of the the Open/Close relay contacts, and the added lights connect to the other open/close contacts.

Relays are rated by how many amps the can pass, so get one that can handle the power.
You should also add an inline fuse on the battery cable to the relay, in case of a short, don't want to melt that battery :)

Last edited:

mitch4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the info! just to clear it up I don't have both lights into the one wire they are running off of both high beam wires if that makes any difference.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals