• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Wiring issue causing odd problems.

nesralyrrej

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0 s/c
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Make it fast, Make it loud.
Hey all, I did search but maybe I couldn’t hit the right keywords but I couldn’t find this issue here..

My 4.0 swapped '90 just started having a weird issue.

Pulling up to my house the road was rough from the shitty snow, and I hit a bump, the dash lights shut off, the turn signal arrows lit up, and the truck stared trying to stall.. the issue I'm finding seems to maybe be a grounding issue somehow.

Currently the truck runs fine with the lights off, the running lights on they dim and the taillights shut off entirely. When I was laying under the truck looking for exposed wiring or similar I noticed the fuel pump would shut off with the running lights, then it would lose rpm until it almost dies, then it would kick back on and run fine for 10-15 seconds and repeat.

The front lights don't get effected but the brake lights cause the same problem, and if you just tap them the truck with start to shut off until the fuel pump comes back on and it will run fine again until the tail lights come back on.. any ideas?

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Check the cab to frame ground strap. On my 87 its roughly in the catalytic converter area. Not sure on a 90 but pry similar.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Definitely a grounding problem. I don't have a good EVTM for a 1990 that shows the grounding. I know on the larger trucks, they did not use the frame and body as a ground in the rear, they had black wires leaving all the components, spliced together, and the black wire ran up front and was bolted to the firewall behind the radio. Don't know if they had a similar theme on the smaller trucks.

Barring finding the real problem you can add your own grounds. If you found the ground to the fuel pump, you could splice into it and run it up front to the battery negative or some other good grounding spot. That might give everything a new good ground.

nesralyrrej

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0 s/c
Transmission
Manual
My credo
The truck is sitting in 5” of ice water currently, I had originally believed grounding issue, so I had ran my big cables to the frame from tbe battery and it definitely seemed better. Hopefully I’ll have time in the next few days to investigate further

nesralyrrej

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0 s/c
Transmission
Manual
My credo
DA44DB63-55A2-4D42-B5A7-D66533EB53BB.jpeg
Broken ground wire on the drivers inner fender, was hidden under the supercharger intake! Thanks for the help

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals