• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Won't go into first or second

HareRazor

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I just purchased a 94 Ford Ranger 2wd 5 speed, and it won't go into first or second with neither the engine on or off. It will go into 3rd,4th, 5th and R fine. I pulled the shifter out and the bushings are non existent, so thinking that was part of the problem I tried to shift it with just a screw driver and I can't it to move like that either. I am going to pull the transmission and the top cover off and take a look, I am expecting to find something in the top cover that froze up, but anybody got any input? I have an extra parts transmission that I pull the internals from. I think it would probably be pretty apparent when I get it apart though.

HareRazor

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I got it apart and found that the oil stirer on the input shaft was missing and the needle that goes between the input shaft and main shaft was hanging up. I got the parts in the mail today and had almost enough time to get it put back together before work time. I believe it was due to low fluid, but I think i caught it in time that there wasn't too much damage done. There was only about a quart of fluid left in it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals