• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Yellow stuff on mig beads...

Ranger1776

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I did some final welding on my bike frame, and i am just curious, what are the small yellow puddles that form on top of mig beads sometimes? i couldn't find anything on other forums about it or just doing a blanket google search... heres a pic of a root with two covers with the yellow puddle phenomenon, these were welded position 2... maybe that has something to do with it, although i get this on position 1 welded as well... Thanks!

Attachments

Road Angels

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
assuming your using gas and not flux wire it would be more than likely that its contamination or impurites, in the wire its self or the surface that you are welding on, mig welding requires a vey clean suface unlike arc witch is so hot that it burns away everything, ut looks like you made two passes, are you using a 115v or a 220v welder, penatration looks to be a little lacking you might try some of the new wire that Lincoln has

FritzTKatt

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
That's just a bit of impurities. Don't worry about it, just clean them off with a wire brush. Welds look good and penetration is fine. I'd tie in the end, just hit it with an actual grinding wheel then wire brush it in that area.

superds

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2" body. 1.5" coil spring spacers/rear block
Silica islands. The weld wire has small amounts of silica in it and while welding the silica draws the contaminants with it as it rises to the surface of the puddle. When it cools, it is essentially glass. Easy to knock off with hammer, wire brush, etc.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Isn't that why they make those pointy little hammers you see on welding stations?

superds

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
The pointy hammers are mostly for removing slag from the weld like forms over the weld when stick welding but could also be used for this purpose.

Road Angels

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
Hummm My wire must not have sand in it cause I never have that problem but then again I clean every thing till it shines

NEVERLIFT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Silica islands. The weld wire has small amounts of silica in it and while welding the silica draws the contaminants with it as it rises to the surface of the puddle. When it cools, it is essentially glass. Easy to knock off with hammer, wire brush, etc.
^^^this, nothing to be worried about

superds

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Hummm My wire must not have sand in it cause I never have that problem but then again I clean every thing till it shines

My welds at home don't have these silica islands either but I have seen it fairly regularly in production welding settings. I think a lot of it depends on the wire you use. We use Prostar at work where I've seen them (btw, I'm not a welder at my job).

Sent from my SGH-i937 using Tapatalk

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals