• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

yet another person wasting time on a D30

yodaman1151

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
so i got my axle, trying to decide coils or leafs. i'm doing this project on the cheap cheap.... i want to know if i can use my current 4.5" lift coils or if i do have to get XJ coils? if i can use my current ones i want to do coils but if not i'll do leafs just for simplicity. I've done a ton of research and have not come up with the answer i want. i read that coils are easy but i don't quite understand the geometry but if thats the route i take i'll do some more investigating

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
Seeing that your truck is an extended cab, I dont think XJ coils will do, they might be to soft but I cant say for sure. I'm told using TTB coils of any kind will be to stiff of a ride but I dont know if the ones you have are a softer spring rate or not.

Your truck is set-up for coils already so thats the rought I would take, thats what I'm going to be doing but leaves might be the cheaper way, depends on if your D30 is set-up for them or not.

I'm told coils give a better ride and are more street friendly but also good for trail riding too.

yodaman1151

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
I've noticed you on a lot of the Dana 30 threads. My axle IS setup for coils but leafs will be cheaper since all I need is tubing for the front cross member, spring perches and spring hangers (I'm doing it like a Toyota SAS) seems to work well on the RBV's too. Having to buy coils as well will only add to the expense. But FWIW suspension connection has pairs of 5.5" XJ coils for $140

bcost882

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000, 2011
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L, 1.6L
Transmission
Manual
it shouldn't be for what is cheap cause that would be just keeping with your current set-up. it should be what is right for you. there are problems with leafs too when building a solid axle. like wheather to put the shackles on the front or back, how far back or forward the axle should go. you need to research and see what you want a select few like leafs but from what i've read about 70 percent of people that used leafs wish they could do it over and use coils just for the added ride comfort, wheeling comfort and articulation.

Last edited:

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Probabyy the simplest way for coils would be to buy/make long arms, mounts for them and use the jeep stearing, trac bar, etc....

You can use the entire jeep set-up ( 4 control arms, track bar, etc...) and just get new coils or MAYBE use what coils you have now. Thats what I'm going to be doing but I'm using 5.5 lift coils for and XJ.

I still need to find the cheapest way to lift my back up after my front gets lifted. I dont know how much lift using 5.5 XJ will give me. I'm researching EVERYTHING on this swap before doing it, so it goes as smooth as possible.

yodaman1151

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
Yeah my truck already has a 4" lift but I don't like that it has two stacked 2" blocks to lift the rear. I want to do 63" chebby's but they are only 6" longer than stock. The RBV coils taper at the bottom so they won't fit the lower mounts on the D30. You will be fine with XJ coils. What size tire you plan on running?

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Flip the RBV coils. But RBV TTB coils on a SAS are a no no and so are the stacked blocks!!!!!!

You can use chevy 63 inch leaves in the rear, just have themn re-arched to get more lift from them and a set of good lift shackles.

As for tires, im thinking about 31's. This truck will be a DD. I'm only SAS because its cheaper then putting money into my D28 that it has. the axles are looking iffy and all the axle u-joints are totaled out, they are the original ones for 1983. Plus a SAS is awesome.

I got my D30 and XJ coils for free haven't had to pay for much.

yodaman1151

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
I got my D30 and XJ coils for free haven't had to pay for much.
that makes it easy enough. I'm trying to do it cheap too I already have to re-gear it. There is a jeep guy near me who works out of his garag so I think I'm gonna pay him a visit this week. I'm turning in scrap metal tomorrow and that goes to my axle hopefully

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have to re-gear my D30 too, it had 4.56 (last owner use to go wheeling with it) in it but i wanted the same as my rear, which is 3.73. My bro-in-law is changing the pinion bearing for me and is going to help me set it back up. I trade a D35 detroit locker with 4.56 gears ( i also got a free D35 too) for the 3.73's with a guy on here who had a jeep. Then trade the D30 4.56 gears for steering linkage (same guy), since my D30 didnt come with it.

If you do this swap, start a build thread, I havent see many D30 swaps on a Gen 1 ranger on here that use coils (or any that use the jeep control arms, im told mine are after market ones and longer but i dont know). Most guys use long arm set-ups but those are pricey.

yodaman1151

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
well are your arms square with bushings at the ends or are they tubing with ball joint style ends? if they are tubing then they are the long arm kit and yes they are expensive... like $500 expensive. mine didn't come with steering either and i work at a parts store so i was pricing out BRAND NEW steering for $140 before my discount... so i think ill go to the junk yard and get the major pieces and just buy a couple tie rods for now. i'm gonna try for 4.10 gears at the junk yard since i was told a 4cyl jeep should have 4.10s but 3.73's would be fine since mines a daily driver/weekend toy... i'm doing a ford 8.8 swap asap after the d30. i want the limited slip again, rebuild it tighter than factory and they are just a step down from a locker. I used to have a BII that i put a 8.8 in after i grenaded the 7.5 and it went everywhere i pointed it with only 31's and the l/s

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I dont have long arms that for sure, but I'm told that mine are after market ones by guys on here. I'm ging to use the 4 controls arems for my SAS.

Herers a picture of my lower one, the upper are tube also.

[/IMG]

yodaman1151

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
Yeah not long arms but you can get jeep kits with "short" arms and that's probably what you have. Not sure if they are longer than factory. I'm very interested in how yours turns out I think it will be pretty sweet

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If I get this job I hope to get it under my truck this year, just waiting for them to call. First thing is to get my xbox 360 fixed and get the truck plates and insured for the road. All I have to drive right now is my motorcycle.

Page 12 of my build thread shows where Im at right now (not as far as I would like to be), bro-in-law has taken almost to long to change a pinion bearing so I can get the D30 put back together.

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
i think i will be doing the D30 too and i probably will use coils even though i really wanna do leafs i think i would be more happier with doing coils in the end

yodaman1151

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
i think i will be doing the D30 too and i probably will use coils even though i really wanna do leafs i think i would be more happier with doing coils in the end
from the sounds of it yes you will. i figure if its good enough for bigger trucks to run leafs factory, all the toyota guys run leaf on SAS then its good enough for me. and i understand the geometry better

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals