• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

YOU figure it out

MaineRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
v6 4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
So about a year ago I was driving my truck at night to pick up the wife, about 100yds from the house i her a louad thud from under the hood followed by the loss of power steering and lights fadeing quickley. the next day i founf that the tensioner pulley had cracked in half and let the belt shoot off. i replaced the tensioner that week end and put on a new belt. no problems for about a month( winter month) then the belt starts to chirp when i start it up, at first, the sueal after about a month of chirping. its beginging to be spring now. the squeal truns into a full blow scream in about another month and it does not happen just at start up its alomost the entire ride. late spring now, i had ordered a goodyear gator belt and out that on, did good all through the rest of spinrg and summer. i also put in a new altnator this summer. fall starts to set in and i start to get the chirps again, shortly followed by the screaming, only now when its screaming the battery starts to drop as well. my first thought was the alt for the battery problem but i tested it and it works as its supposed to, the belt is slipping across it and now spinning it, Right? back to the screaming though, i replaced the trnsioner pulley after finding that it was loose and the bearings were bad in it. also scuffed up the other pulleys and greased the tensioner to ensure it was free moving and not getting hung up on its own spring, which its not. i also found that the idler pulley was not up to par but was still functional and didnt make any noise when free spun. THE SCREAMING IS STILL THERE and i have run out of ideas. what do you guys think, any ideas would help

strvger

Reaction score
the land of 2 seasons-Winter and getting ready for
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
they do make what the call 'belt dressing' that may help. really sounds like one of the idler shafts may be just slightly bent or at a slight angle causing the pulley's to have problems and then the belt. it may only be noticeable in the cold temps as that's when metals shrink and rubber compounds get a little stiff and hard.
just a thought.

country0001

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Your idler pulley is getting ready to go, Change it or you will throw that belt again.Mine did the same thing. When it went it dinged up the alternator pulley andbroke a blade off my fan. Its only 20 bucks

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I NEVER change out one of them without changing the other one at the same time. All they are is small rollerskate bearings. When one of them is sour the other is stinky too.
Big JIm

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals