Home Discussion Forum Tech Articles Other Articles Featured Rides Readers Rides Classifieds Shirts & Decals Parts Store

Ford Ranger Discussion Forum

Off-Road Truck Of The Month

'AgPete139'
September 2014 OTOTM

Mini Truck Of The Month

'alexp11'
September 2014 MTOTM

Go Back   The Ranger Station Forums > Truck Discussions > General Discussions

General Discussions This forum is for general discussions. Place posts that don't fit in any other forums here.

Old 05-11-2012, 09:25 AM   #1
gharmon

gharmon is on a distinguished road
Default Hydralic Clutch bleeding

Forgive me for not searching more but i'm really in a bind for time.

I installed a junkyard tranny into this truck I just bought (94 supercab 3.0 5 speed) and once I got it in the clutch was working fine. I had been trying to fix the exhaust as the people I bought it from cut it off in the most f'ed up places. As I was trying to cut the exhuast pipe I zip tied the hydralic line to the exhaust above it keep me from hitting it with my cutoff tool.

Like a dumb ass I forgot and cranked the damn truck.
Well you know what happened, it burned the line into two pieces. I got a new line and have ran 2 cans of fluild throught this thing trying to bleed it. It flows a steady stream at the bleeder valve. It also shoots a steady stream when you release the bleeder vavle with the pedal pushed in (i.e. when bleeding).

It has absolutely no resistance at the pedal when pushed in.

Any ideas what is wrong?

Thanks,

Gerald
gharmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Forum Notices (Not shown to 'Premium Members')

Reminder:

We're looking for participants to help move our banner from Alaska to Florida: Click HERE.

Click HERE to see the banner map.

Want to become a Premium Member & not see these notices? Click HERE.

Want your truck considered for Truck Of The Month? Click HERE.

Don't forget to vote!

Old 05-11-2012, 11:51 AM   #2
adsm08
EOAH

Asteroids Champion

Vehicle Year: 1987
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger XLT
I use this vehicle for: Elevenses
adsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to adsm08

I know air can get trapped at the bottom of the master cylinder. Usually taking it out and turning it upside down works, but I'm trying to figure out a pressure bleeder for the clutch system.

Project: Amazing Grace

Project: Cash 'N Carry

Project: 12-Volt Sandwich, project finished

Project: Birthday Present

I have learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

HELP REPEAL OBAMACARE

HELP REPEAL WASHINGTON DC
adsm08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 01:31 PM   #3
gharmon

gharmon is on a distinguished road

Nope that wasn't it. Okay Most of my experience with clutches is with cable operated (5.0 owner for years). It mentions in the manual that no air enters the system with the quick disconnect fittings but with my burning into like that the quick disconnects fitting was still in and thus leaving that line open allowing air to enter.

Okay so that i understand this thing, when you install tranny onto the engine the slave cylinder would be under pressure big spring collapsed thus when you push the pedal the slave cylinder pushes against the pressure plate fingers to release clutch correct?

When the line burned into and the slave cylinder emptied of all fluid (cause it was under pressure from being against the pressure plate shouldn't the slave cylinder just pump back up tight as I bleed the system?

It seems as when you pump the pedal it should push fluid in and refill the slave cylind or it's lost fluid til it's back up to full capacity at which point it should then push the pressure plate to release the clutch?

It seems that as I pump it in it just pushes right back out upon release of pedal kinda like a bad one-way check valve?

Do I need to pull the tranny back a few inches to let the slave cylinder "refill with fluid as I pump it up with the pedal?

I have an extra slave cylnder that I hooked up just to watch how the fluid works. I disconnected from the one in the tranny and hooked it to my extra one while having someone pump the pedal. It just pumped the slave cylinder up tight and seemed to do what i thought it should do. Alsothe quick disconnect got extremely tight (like I think it should). When I hook it up to the one that's in the tranny the quick disconnect never really get tight? I can push the disconnect in and out about 1/4" while it should be tight.

Am I looking at this the wrong way?

I realize no one is probably going to read this as it's so long but hoping for some help.

Thanks,

Gerald
gharmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 01:35 PM   #4
CamoRanger94

Vehicle Year: 1992
Vehicle Model: ranger xlt
I use this vehicle for: wheeling and DD
CamoRanger94 is on a distinguished road

close off the vavle and just sit and pump the pedal mine when i did my tranny swap literally took 10 in of pumping eventually it builds pressure then open the valve close it then pump it again till it builds pressure and your good
CamoRanger94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 01:52 PM   #5
db796

Vehicle Year: 1991
Vehicle Make: ford
Vehicle Model: ranger 2wd
I use this vehicle for: responding to call's
db796 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamoRanger94 View Post
close off the vavle and just sit and pump the pedal mine when i did my tranny swap literally took 10 in of pumping eventually it builds pressure then open the valve close it then pump it again till it builds pressure and your good
thats how i did mine...
Old 05-11-2012, 01:56 PM   #6
Elutheros
Premium Member

Vehicle Year: 1992
Vehicle Model: Ranger
I use this vehicle for: DD/Hunting
Elutheros is on a distinguished road

Could be an air bubble in the new line. Watch the video at this link and it may help you figure out where the problem is and how to fix it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgNTDGwcjZc
Elutheros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 04:09 PM   #7
94 lngbd

Vehicle Year: 1994
Vehicle Make: ford
Vehicle Model: ranger xlt long bed
I use this vehicle for: hauling ,camping,towing ,fun
94 lngbd will become famous soon enough94 lngbd will become famous soon enough

Dido to the video that Elutheros mentions
94 lngbd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 04:40 PM   #8
kryptonitecb

Vehicle Year: 1994
I use this vehicle for: daily driver, trail ready
kryptonitecb is just really nicekryptonitecb is just really nicekryptonitecb is just really nicekryptonitecb is just really nicekryptonitecb is just really nice

I used a clear line(go to a pet store and get clear air hose used for fish tanks) hook that up to the nipple on the slave cylinder. Have someone help you pump the clutch and bleed the same way you would your brakes. The hose allows you to see the bubbles in the fluid and know when to keep going or stop. Once no more bubbles come out of the slave you're done. I also use this on brakes cause its the same principle. My buddies give me shit but I was able to bleed the clutch in 20 min doing this, took my friend who made fun of me 3 hours to do his a few years back.

Sent from the road while ignoring traffic
kryptonitecb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 01:20 AM   #9
scotts90ranger

Vehicle Year: 1990
I use this vehicle for: holding down the driveway
scotts90ranger is a jewel in the roughscotts90ranger is a jewel in the roughscotts90ranger is a jewel in the rough

if you follow the youtube thing and still have a little bit of a squishy pedal, push the pedal all the way to the floor then slip your foot off, do that a few times and it will work the last of the bubbles out of the master cylinder, if the air is in the slave cylinder gravity bleed it a bit. A cheaper source for the clear hose is the hardware store
Old 05-13-2012, 06:09 AM   #10
veefer800canuck

Vehicle Year: 2011
Vehicle Make: Ranger FX4
I use this vehicle for: everything
veefer800canuck has a spectacular aura aboutveefer800canuck has a spectacular aura aboutveefer800canuck has a spectacular aura about

I got mine done by bleeding the conventional way, then removing the piston from the master cylinder inside the truck ever so slightly to allow fluid out the end.

Take the rod off the pedal, remove the circlip that holds the piston in the bore, then carefully slide the piston out of the bore just a smidgen until fluid exits the bore, then quickly stuff it back in, replace the circlip and reconnect the rod to the pedal.

Because the master cylinder is sloped upwards inside the cab, air hides at the top side and it's almost impossible to get out.
veefer800canuck is offline   Reply With Quote