• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Fuel system trouble '89

Texican65

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Hey guys. The last couple years or so, my '89 ranger has been doing something funny. It will do it off and on, maybe for a week and then quit it. Go 6 months and do it again for a few weeks and quit it...etc etc. after sitting for an 8 hour shift at work, or overnight, I get in and go to crank her up and as soon as she starts, it comes up to about 1000 RPMs for a second of two and just dies. Instantly I turn the key to start it and it fires right up and runs great. Always starts right up on the second try. Fuel pump starting to go bad? Something clogged?

Thanks,

Dow

steveoelo

Mighty Canuck
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Try putting a new fuel filter on it. They are pretty cheap and never hurts. Also, can you hear the fuel pump loud and clear before you start it? If you can barely hear it there's a good chance the fuel pump is no good. Easy way to tell is check the fuel pressure after the regulator. If it can't build around 35psi then it's the pump but, if it builds the pressure but slowly leaks out, it's your regulator.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals