• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

88 ford ranger 2.9l

wd0cfc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have what seems like a miss. But i put in new spark plugs ,cap,rotor, plug wires and did compression check on engine.Which was good.And fuel pressure is good, But it still runs like it has a miss.So could it be a injector or a air inlet control. Any ideas?

MarkusMcBride

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I was in nearly the identical situation and it turned out to be an injector. A quick and dirty way to check is to disengage your distributor at the coil (eliminate spark this is very important), and then remove your fuel rail and work it so that the injectors stay in the rail. to do that, I got all of the wiring harnesses out of the way and took out the 4 bolts holding the fuel rail and jimmied it till it came loose (this may prove to be difficult, they can be pretty stuck in there). Once you have it out with all injectors intact and the dist. disconnected, have a buddy turn over the engine a few seconds at a time and watch the quality of the atomization (misting) for each injector (should put a dark towel down to spray into). They should all spray the same strong mist. Some might not like this way of testing but it's free/no tools or parts required. Other than that towel. Just remember to disconnect the coil so you down burn your truck down.

ALSO: a quicker way to narrow it down would be to simply pull the wire off each plug at idle to see if you have a dead cylinder (when you pull the wire off, the engine should struggle. If pulling the wire off doesn't change a whole lot in the running condition at idle, you have a dead cylinder and I'd bet a paycheck on it being the injector for that cylinder. I say this assuming you did a sound compression test and fuel pressure test and changed all those "tune up" parts. NOTE: wear a glove or make sure to keep your fingers away from the end of the rubber boot on the wire. You may have to find out the hard way what happens!

cheers

CrowRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Check for vacuum leaks?
sometimes a small vac leak can make it miss or act like it anyways.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals