• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Hesitation when lights are on

Danny_m

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
Hi I’m new here and I’ve got a question for anyone that can help me out I’ve got a 1985 ranger with the 2.9L engine in it and when I’m driving and I turn the lights on the vehicle starts to hesitate a lot note it does had LED lights. I’m a bit new to working on cars especially older stuff like this. Because the engine was swapped from a 86 ranger the wiring under the hood is a bit messy but I’d like to know if anyone can point me into a direction to start looking, Thank you I appreciate any help

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Just drive during daylight hours... easy peasy.

Seriously... lighting systems and ignition/fuel systems are totally unrelated electrically.

A common point could be battery voltage. Have you had a voltmeter on the battery to see what happens when you turn the lights on?

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Sounds like bad connections or the alternator is going bad. Need to know battery voltage at rest, engine off, after several hours. Then, battery voltage with engine running, at least 5 minutes after starting. When inspecting connections, both positive connections AND negative (ground) connections are important. Check for tightness and cleanliness. No rust. No corroded wires. No paint between lugs and frame or body.

(Conjuring up my best @Ron D impersonation until he gets home)

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Welcome to TRS.

Nothing wrong with not having a lot of experience working on cars; it's where every one of us started.

A couple of basic things to do first, with a beginner in mind.

1) Check that both battery post terminals are tight, and have no corrosion. It'd be good to take each off and clean the contact areas, and it would be even better to spend a couple of bucks and get a battery post and terminal cleaning brush. Be careful around the battery; disconnect and remove the negative side, then do the positive side completely (remove, clean, reinstall) before you return to negative, cleaning and reinstalling it. Doing things in that order reduces the chances of your tools shorting the battery while you're working on it.

2) Check that your truck has all of these grounding wires: a) thick cable from the battery negative, going through a clamp on the frame and then to the engine; b) a smaller thick wire from the battery negative to the fender apron; c) another thick wire, or braided wire, from the back of the engine to the firewall. Pay attention that none of these are connections are loose, and that there is no green powdery corrosion anywhere on the cables or terminals.

3) Carefully look over the "messy" wiring and make sure that no wires have bare spots or are loose. Just use common sense.

Beyond those basics you're looking at testing the battery's voltage, and alternator output. Best to start with little steps and move up to bigger steps as you go.

Good luck!

Last edited:

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals