• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Replacing my 2.9l

Elijah1989

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4 inch body
Tire Size
265/75 R16
My credo
Eagles May soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines!
I bought my truck in November and stupid me did not think to check radiator fluid. The man that owned it before me had stait water in it. Low and behold it froze. I had my fingers crossed that it was just the 2 freeze plugs that messed up.

I replaced them, refilled the fluid and tried running her..... after about 30 seconds she started spewing fluid. So I know the block has to be cracked. There was even fluid coming out of the air intake.

So my question is where can I find a dependable 2.9l for a 89 Bronco II? No junk yards in a 50 mile radius even has a Bronco II in it. My mechanic says it will be around $3,900 because he will only install jasper engines. Looking online I am leery after look at a few companies BBB reviews and ratings.

So any help to point me in the right area to pick one up. It doesn't have to be a crate engine a used one will work fine.

Thanks,
Elijah

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
It will help if you fill in your location field.

Who's doing the install? If a mechanic you trust, then trust him to supply and guarantee the engine. You do pay a premium for his knowledge and warranty.
If you're doing the work then there are mail order salvage yards.

Elijah1989

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4 inch body
Tire Size
265/75 R16
My credo
I'm in north west Georgia. 45 min west of Atlanta. Sorry I forgot that in the post. I want to do it myself since the truck is a homeschool project for my son and I.

Do you have a reliable mail order salvage yard?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Sorry, I don't. Hopefully someone else has a suggestion.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Uh, you know the engine doesn't have to come from a Bronco II, right? A Ranger engine will go it just the same.

Elijah1989

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4 inch body
Tire Size
265/75 R16
My credo
Uh, you know the engine doesn't have to come from a Bronco II, right? A Ranger engine will go it just the same.

Yes sir. But i didn't know if wiring harness and all would still be a direct fit

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Yes sir. But i didn't know if wiring harness and all would still be a direct fit

From the rear of the door forward they are the same vehicle. No differences. Use your harness and it will plug in 100% fine.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
Crate engine from your local autozone, oreilly will be your best option. Who knows what you may end up with from a junk yard...probably another junk engine, I wouldn't take a chance. If this is supposed to be a "homeschool project" then you don't need a mechanic if you are doing it yourself. You'll need a long block and you put all the external parts on it and valve covers. You'll need gaskets of course for the valve covers, you'll need new gaskets for the water pump, etc as well.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/search.oap?keyword=engine+block-long&year=1988&make=Ford&model=Bronco+II&vi=5003908

http://www.autozone.com/powertrain/engine/ford/bronco-ii-4wd/1988/6-cylinders-t-2-9l-mfi-ohv

You get 3 year warranties with those long block engines, same as you would a Jasper engine but far less cost.

Elijah1989

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4 inch body
Tire Size
265/75 R16
My credo
Crate engine from your local autozone, oreilly will be your best option. Who knows what you may end up with from a junk yard...probably another junk engine, I wouldn't take a chance. If this is supposed to be a "homeschool project" then you don't need a mechanic if you are doing it yourself. You'll need a long block and you put all the external parts on it and valve covers. You'll need gaskets of course for the valve covers, you'll need new gaskets for the water pump, etc as well.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/search.oap?keyword=engine+block-long&year=1988&make=Ford&model=Bronco+II&vi=5003908

http://www.autozone.com/powertrain/engine/ford/bronco-ii-4wd/1988/6-cylinders-t-2-9l-mfi-ohv

You get 3 year warranties with those long block engines, same as you would a Jasper engine but far less cost.

Since I've never done it. What all comes on the long block? So we'll know what to prepare for. Will we need all gaskets? Or just valve gaskets. Will I need to buy valve covers too?

If my engine was contaminated with water/anti-freeze do I need to find new covers or can I clean the old ones?

Sorry for so many question. This will be my sons car once he can drive so I want to make sure it's right. I've got a couple of years. But once I get it mechanically sound then we will tackle the cosmetic stuff.

Elijah1989

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4 inch body
Tire Size
265/75 R16
My credo
Also. Any difference in the name brand on the motor?

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Ahh, replacing engines.....

A 2.9 from any year Bronco II or Ranger will work. You will have to use your harness though unless you get a donor from a similar year with the same kind of transmission (auto or manual). Problem is, you're buying an unknown quantity buying used. I've had both good and bad luck there. I had someone sell me a junk 4.0 (ran when pulled! Or not...). Bought a 4.0 that I heard run, only had 87k on it and I re-gasketed the top end. Started drinking coolant 3k later... also bought a 2.9 with unknown mileage from a wrecked BII that ran like a champ for years. Rebuilt stuff comes with a warranty, but there's some assembly required.

From what I've seen, long blocks vary in what you get with them depending on who puts them together. But whatever they don't come with can usually be used from your existing motor.

The actual work to replace a motor isn't too bad and aside from an engine lift, you don't really need specialty tools. I've done a few of them now, lol.

Now, to throw another idea at you, with a 1989, a 4.0L swap is relatively easy to do. You'll want a donor truck, or you'll need to pull an engine, harness and computer. You'll want something with the same kind of transmission. Swap is pretty straightforward.

Sent from my kite using a trebuchet

Elijah1989

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4 inch body
Tire Size
265/75 R16
My credo
Ahh, replacing engines.....

A 2.9 from any year Bronco II or Ranger will work. You will have to use your harness though unless you get a donor from a similar year with the same kind of transmission (auto or manual). Problem is, you're buying an unknown quantity buying used. I've had both good and bad luck there. I had someone sell me a junk 4.0 (ran when pulled! Or not...). Bought a 4.0 that I heard run, only had 87k on it and I re-gasketed the top end. Started drinking coolant 3k later... also bought a 2.9 with unknown mileage from a wrecked BII that ran like a champ for years. Rebuilt stuff comes with a warranty, but there's some assembly required.

From what I've seen, long blocks vary in what you get with them depending on who puts them together. But whatever they don't come with can usually be used from your existing motor.

The actual work to replace a motor isn't too bad and aside from an engine lift, you don't really need specialty tools. I've done a few of them now, lol.

Now, to throw another idea at you, with a 1989, a 4.0L swap is relatively easy to do. You'll want a donor truck, or you'll need to pull an engine, harness and computer. You'll want something with the same kind of transmission. Swap is pretty straightforward.

I've heard of the 4.0 swap. But finding a decent donor vehicle around is hard. Most people around where I live have tagged them out.

I'll have to save up for a crate motor and wish for the best. More I read of used engines the more I don't want to do it. Lol

Thank y'all for the help and advice

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
No problem. If it was me, I'd get a crate motor and put it in myself. It's work, but cheaper than a mechanic and you'll learn a lot. But then again, I've always liked tinkering with stuff.

Here's another thought to the 4.0 swap.... grab the wiring harness out of a Ranger with the 4.0 that has the same transmission (and as close to a 1990 that you can find) along with the computer. Now that you have the important stuff, you can use any 4.0 OHV out of a Ranger or Explorer. Don't know about your area, but around here seeing an Explorer that ate the auto trans is somewhat common.

My choptop I need the 4.0 to have the grunt to turn the 35's and be able to hit highway speeds. I tried running it with a 2.9 and it just didn't have enough go, so the swap was needed. My 1988 Bronco II is getting a bit of a resto-mod. Since I'm trying to keep it more stockish, a 2.9 should work just fine. Of course, I'm also going through the trouble to port (gasket match) my intakes and heads. Also doing headers and a Mass Air Flow conversion... because I can, lol.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
Since I've never done it. What all comes on the long block? So we'll know what to prepare for. Will we need all gaskets? Or just valve gaskets. Will I need to buy valve covers too?

If my engine was contaminated with water/anti-freeze do I need to find new covers or can I clean the old ones?

Sorry for so many question. This will be my sons car once he can drive so I want to make sure it's right. I've got a couple of years. But once I get it mechanically sound then we will tackle the cosmetic stuff.

You'll need the gasket set, you will have to get new valve covers or clean your old ones and reuse them. You'll have to take all the accessories off your old engine...starter, alternator, power steering pump, etc. While you are at it buy a new water pump as the replacement engine won't have it anyhow, and its far easier installing a new pump while you got the engine out and easy to get to the front. You'll need a thermostat as well. Hoses, belts, fluids, you'll need to reuse your intake and injection stuff...install new fuel injectors don't reuse the old ones.

As far as different engine brands, they are all the same block they're just cleaned up parts replaced, and tested. Don't get caught up in all the "brand names" they are all "Ford" engine blocks LOL. They are not actually new they're all remanufactured, or rebuilt they haven't made that engine in about 27 years. You can't get a "new engine" you can get a rebuilt or remanufactured one that's all you get from any of the places that sell engines.

I'm probably headed the same way with my 88 Bronco 2 here soon, probably next year, had the transmission rebuilt already, and the engine is in serious need as well may as well pull it and do a long block replacement and I'll slowly rebuild my old engine as time and money permits so its ready to drop in if I ever need to.

Take your time on the replacement, don't try and rush though it and it will all go well.

Elijah1989

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4 inch body
Tire Size
265/75 R16
My credo
It will definitely take time due to wife limiting funds to my project. Lol. I'll keep hitting y'all up for as it nears to help process go along smoothly

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals