• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

need opinions/help

ranger_redneck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L HOPING FOR A SWAP SOON
Transmission
Manual
so today i noticed my ranger isnt running the best (87 2.9l 4x4 5 speed)

As i stepped out of my vehicle on lunch, i noticed a knocking sound.

under the hood its hard to hear, underneath the truck it is easy to hear, but it only does it when the clutch is engaged (clutch pedal not pushed in)

Any ideas? Comments?

Or.. should i just say screw it, give up on this cursed 2.9L, swap it out for a 4.0l or a 302.. this project will have to be completed this summer, and i have limited space to do it.. most of it will be done outside..

So my question is with this is which would be better, 4.0 or 302.
I dont need insane amounts of power. i just need something reliable without giving up my ranger..

will my 5 speed tranny and tcase work with the 4.0 or 302? or would it better to swap them out..

i have read through the tech articles..

i am looking for comments by people that have already swapped one or the other and the process it took and what worked best with what.

This truck is just my dd in the winter, 30 mile commute so would like decent mpgs..

but plan on going out and playing in the mud a little bit during the summer months, ( i live on a farm and have plenty of places to go mudding without having to register anything :)

So any comments or ideas will be very helpful!

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Issue is most likely pilot bearing or throwout bearing.
Failing Throwout bearing usually makes a noise only when clutch pedal in down, but it could be rubbing on the pressure plate.

2.9l OHV has 140HP, 170 torque
4.0l OHV has 160HP, 220 torque
302(5.0l) has 215HP, 288 torque

2.9l and 4.0l share the same block so existing trans and running gear will be fine, which is why it is a popular swap.
You do have to get 4.0l wiring and computer, all the wiring including MAF and EDIS module.
While the torque is much better it is only 20 more horse power, alot of work for a little gain.

With V8 you get just over 50% gain in Horse Power, but will have to swap engine and trans, wring and computer work would be the same as a 4.0l swap.
But you do have the option of carb and distributor with the 302, so no computer at all, and minimal wiring, but fuel injection really makes for better engine operation.

5.0l produces more power than a 4.0l because it can suck in 1.0l more air per cycle, more air means more power, simple as that.
It is also why MPG on 5.0l is less than 4.0l(all things being equal), because it HAS TO suck in more air, so HAS TO use more fuel, even idling.
So if MPG is a big issue I would stick with the 2.9l, you can add headers to get power range lower.
There are roller rocker kits that can give you an increase in power, yes less MPG, thats the way it works, lol.

An electric rad fan frees up some horse power, and on paper would improve MPG.
E-fan is also better for slow off road travel, better cooling at low speed.
And you can shut the e-fan off for water/mud crossing, no soaked/muddy engine compartment from belt driven fan

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals