• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Where's this wire supposed to go?

Javarod

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ok, wiring in my truck is seriously wonky, dunno what moron worked on it, but its real interesting. Most interesting is this one, a white wire with a black stripe, stripped at one end and resting in the main harness across the top of the engine, and the other end seems to go into the test plug.

Is that supposed to join the white with black stripe running between the alternator and the choke (there's three matching wires tied together already)?

Donkey... i mean danke,

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Looks like an 86 but aside from that...can't tell what engine it is without pics...or if the wiring/engine has been swapped out...test plug? As in the EEC-IV on the passenger fender???

Javarod

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Looks like an 86 but aside from that...can't tell what engine it is without pics...or if the wiring/engine has been swapped out...test plug? As in the EEC-IV on the passenger fender???
Whoops, forgot to mention that as its in my profile and photo album.

86 2.0, 5 speed, and yep, the EEC-IV plug. The picture isn't great (and you can see another problem), but its the top most wire with the plug in that position.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Ah, yes, the old profile checking trick...forgot to do that.

I just yanked out all the wiring from my 2.0 so I can't just go out and have a looky for you...but anything to do with that mess of wires on the passenger side (aka Idle Control Module or some silly thing) I pretty much gave up on...unless something wasn't working right on the heater box.

If you don't have a choke or fast idle kick down and everything else is otherwise working right I'd have to say roll it up and hide it somewhere...

As for the mess on the driver side...sheesh...makes you want to find the previous owner and smack them a few times without saying so much as why you did that...lol

Looks like they were trying to figure something out and hired a chimp that was good with a pair of scissors and blade knife...

Javarod

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ah, yes, the old profile checking trick...forgot to do that.

I just yanked out all the wiring from my 2.0 so I can't just go out and have a looky for you...but anything to do with that mess of wires on the passenger side (aka Idle Control Module or some silly thing) I pretty much gave up on...unless something wasn't working right on the heater box.

If you don't have a choke or fast idle kick down and everything else is otherwise working right I'd have to say roll it up and hide it somewhere...

As for the mess on the driver side...sheesh...makes you want to find the previous owner and smack them a few times without saying so much as why you did that...lol

Looks like they were trying to figure something out and hired a chimp that was good with a pair of scissors and blade knife...
Nods, "Choke appears to be hooked up, just had a stray wire, and since i had to fix the wiring over there any way (alternator wiring was a tape wrapped lump, turns out there was a wire with a ring connector at one end, and the bare end wrapped around an uninsulated butt connector), figured i put it in place while i'm at it."

"Oh, the wiring is fun, would you like the stereo wiring that hangs down from the dash, or the fog light wiring that's routed out through the door opening? Don't mention the fog light power wire which is around three or four pieces of wire joined together. Oh can't forget what started this, the harness from the ICM to the distributor that wasn't wrapped or covered, and was resting on the steering shaft. Gotta make that one since you can't by it, nor can you buy the distributor plug, but i did get a pigtail from Standard that looks identical except the lock tabs, which dikes and a file can fix. Oh, and that pic was the right side, that chewed up wire is the one your supposed to plug in to use the self test feature."

freedom5

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Whoops, forgot to mention that as its in my profile and photo album.

86 2.0, 5 speed, and yep, the EEC-IV plug. The picture isn't great (and you can see another problem), but its the top most wire with the plug in that position.
That plug is to connect an OBD-1 code reader. The loose wire with the plug is also for testing. I wouldn't worry about it. Most folks don't have an OBD-1 code reader as they are now obsolete. I checked the wiring diagrams and found Ford uses Blk and Wht as going to ground.

Javarod

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That plug is to connect an OBD-1 code reader. The loose wire with the plug is also for testing. I wouldn't worry about it. Most folks don't have an OBD-1 code reader as they are now obsolete. I checked the wiring diagrams and found Ford uses Blk and Wht as going to ground.
Thanks. Basically i finally remembered to test that it didn't go to anything active, and tied it in with the other matching wires including the one off the alternator. Under the hood wiring is sorted now, and the truck runs a bit better. Amazing what having a harness with insulated wires between the ICM and distributor will do.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals