• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Wheel Cylinder pins / links - 93 - 9" drums

Casual_Reader

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
93 - basic 2.3l - rwd - xlt - 168k miles. I love this truck.

I lost the pins that go into the wheel cylinder :dunno: Looked everywhere.

I've also been looking online for hours and they seem impossible to find (unless I want to spend over $100 for ford original wheel cylinder that supposedly comes with the pins) Pin specs aren't listed on any new parts.

local yards only hold more recent vehicles... this is a 25 year old truck.

any Ideas? other than making my own to match the ones on the other side?

For those of you wondering "How_in_the_holy_heck do you lose parts you need?" (I know I would be):

Well, what happened was... I knew the wheel cylinder was leaking, but also knew the drum and shoes had plenty of life so I got a wheel cylinder and thought it'd be a somewhat easy hour to replace.

I took the drum off and pretty much everything was trashed... the cable had dissolved from the brake fluid? Springs were in pieces, etc. It was late so knew it'd carry over to the next day after getting a load of new parts... including a new brake line. (3/16ths tube nut frozen in the 7/16ths brass adapter to the wheel cylinder... no room to spin the loose wheel cylinder to get it out.) Even after breaking the line and getting the adapter out, it was a struggle to get the 3/16ths tube nut out of the adapter - unbelievable. That new AGS Poly Armour Brake Line is great stuff, btw.

I left the trashed parts on the driveway under the truck overnight... including the pins. When I went to retrieve them... they weren't there. Everything else was. Lug nuts and tools were put in a clean box and placed in the cab, but the pins weren't in that box either. I looked everywhere... even hosed off the drive into a pile and sorted through it by hand. Nowhere to be found... not in the cab, not in the bed, not on the drive. I threw nothing away.

A rabid Ford hating raccoon that doesn't care how shiny something is? :annoyed: Makes me wish I had a security cam on the drive...

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
look up your wheel cylinder and shoes on a parts site. then hit the buyers guide, or compatable option and see what newer years use the same parts. my 2005 has the 9" rear brakes, don't know if they are identical to 93's.

Casual_Reader

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
pjtoledo - thanks. Guess I'll be digging deeper. Checking every pin for sale and being told it's not a fit doesn't seem to be working for me.

Casual_Reader

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
All I can say at this point is that the ability to laugh at one's self makes life a bit easier to bear... when you're an occasional idiot like me.

I created phantom parts in my mind after watching 2 vids that did 10" drum brakes (with pins). I convinced myself that I took them out of the wheel cylinder on my 9" brakes.

I then spent a few hours looking for these phantom parts... everywhere... over and over. Doing the same thing over and over again while expecting different results...

Then I spent hours looking for these phantom parts online... and complaining that I couldn't find said phantom parts.

Not much of a market for phantom parts, apparently.

whatta maroon! /bugs

that all said... I feel I owe a sincere apology to raccoons for my accusation of theft (in this particular case, at least).

in other news, both sides done. No leaks.

Attachments

Last edited:

Mike92STX

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
245-75-16
Wheel cylinder pins

I think what you posted means you found the parts you need. I looked again and I have them but I think I have 10 inch drums. I took a picture but I can't figure out how to post the picture. I'll have to check but I think those pins are the same on both size drums. I figured out how to post a picture but it's to big so if you still need them let me know and I will edit the picture to fit.

Casual_Reader

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Mike - Thanks for the quick reply and checking.

yeah, what I eventually found out is that the 9" brakes don't need pins... only the 10". If only I'd taken a closer look at how the new shoes fit. A day wasted in a panic chasing a phantom, but got them both rebuilt this morning.

again - thanks for the time.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals