• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

88' Supercab - Does back glass leak or cargo light?

scoob8000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
What are the chances of my back glass leaking, or is it really the cargo light?

I've popped the trim off, and see water droplets forming right where the 3 or 4 studs & nuts are at the top of the glass.

Took the cargo (3rd brake light) off, but can't see of feel anything wet in there although there is a little condensation in the lens.

Rubber gasket is old, but it seems to be sealing up pretty well..

It's freezing and snowing right now, so I can't troubleshoot too well. Just wondering before I have an auto glass place test it for me.

jodom15sc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
sounds similar to my 99 ranger, i looked in review mirror one day and saw water dripping in. I took off my 3rd (cargo) brake light and it was dry but i put duct tape all inside of there the best i could with out bothering wiring or anything and that fixed it for me. Happened about a year ago and still doing fine. But idk, maybe something different, just my 2 cents

samsonitesamsonite

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Jeep
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My 88 had a rear slider that leaked like a mofo, I got a new slider put in and it fixed it.

scoob8000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My 88 had a rear slider that leaked like a mofo, I got a new slider put in and it fixed it.

I shoulda specified. I have the solid rear glass.

Gonna take it to work tommorow and use the garage so the silicone has some time to dry. Gonna seal up the cargo light, and if it still leaks take it to the glass shop.

Could water be getting in at the drip edges over the doors? I resealed those a few years ago, but the sealant is pretty cracked up. I assume they're welded on though..

WhiteLX

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
any luck? My 89 has been leaking in the same area for a while. I too have a solid rear window. I used some RTV where it meets the cab, but it still leaks. I'm pretty sure it's coming from the cargo light and not the rear window.

Maybe some weather stripping from Home Depot? I need to redo the headliner, but I have been waiting until I get this leak fixed.

Southern_Trendkill

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1961, 2010
Make / Model
Mercury, Mitsub
Engine Size
144 "Thriftpower", 2.4 MIVEC
Transmission
Manual
My slider leaks a bit too.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals