• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Project Guinea Pig

prerunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
All work and no play for you too, huh?

The gf threw a fit at me Sunday and of course the speed I'm getting the truck together was one of her digs. Sooo... she made the truck a priority for me.

I'll pm you what I'm hoping to score off Craigslist. Its kind of cool. :beer:

Rowdy Fitzgerald

Hog hunter
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6”
Tire Size
Damn, get a handle on those projects bud! Focus on one problem at a time. Don't do a little here and a little there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

prerunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
I wish it was that simple, bud.
The perimeter drains are her project (her $$) with my labor. We keep flooding the basement and no wonder the drains around this place are plugged solid. I don't want another winter wondering if every rain gets water in the house. I have rust on new parts for my toys so I want this fixed too.
The Ranger is my primary project with the B II on indefinite hiatus. Its on this weekend for parts though.
One of the things I'm getting out of the drains is I'm allowed to build a carport for a vehicle (my $$ & labor, her house.)
Its coming together. S l o w l y. lol

:popcorn:

Seems to me you have a similar issue... :icon_confused:

Rowdy Fitzgerald

Hog hunter
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6”
Tire Size
Lol close

Rowdy Fitzgerald

Hog hunter
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6”
Tire Size
Been tuning in my diesel. I still have a couple oil leaks, need to find the slip in the steering and buy tires for her.
I have a decent set of street tired but I need to get a set of over sized mud tires for my trip to Kansas next month. With the 4.10's she tops out at 70mph. If I go to 33's or 34's I should be able to go 80mph on the freeway.

prerunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Been tuning in my diesel. I still have a couple oil leaks, need to find the slip in the steering and buy tires for her.
I have a decent set of street tired but I need to get a set of over sized mud tires for my trip to Kansas next month. With the 4.10's she tops out at 70mph. If I go to 33's or 34's I should be able to go 80mph on the freeway.
I had 315's (35's) on my 6.0 Super Duty and it was excellent on the highway but it had 3.73's under it. A different animal for sure but tires made a huge difference from stock. You'll want a real tall, probably skinny-ish tire to kill off those 4.10's. Skinnier tires will give less parasitic drag on the interstate. Muds, not so much. Of course if you're going mudding in Kansas get the tire for that instead.
Steering is a mess on Dodge trucks. You might get lucky with a recall or TSB on the problem though. http://dodgeram.org/tech/troubleshoot/steering.htm

Whatever it is, don't take it lightly. Fix it with better parts than Dodge used. :D

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
the 6 speed dodges got a real good od.

one thing about my old idi in my ranger is i have to have 35's.....i had to tow a trailer so i dug out my old 33's and finished em off the last few trips down south... coming back from key west sucked because i am winding it up pretty hard at 70 mph...and i needed quite a bit more speed to stay in front of that storm....i usually run the military tires for just cruising like that. for my non turbo they are too much and it can loe speed on grades, but i can haul ass 75-80 well enough on most of the trip...just a loss in economy....but for you i think they would be perfect. i plan on the new bfg next....

since your going to kansas hit up trail worthy fab and you can ave some serious coin

Rowdy Fitzgerald

Hog hunter
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6”
Tire Size
Yeah I'm still trying to decide what tire to get. I'm torn between buying decent used or new. But I'm stock height and I think a 35 will rub....
I'm thinking a mud terrain 33 X 12.5 would do fine but idk for sure.

prerunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
It'll probably come down to a budget choice then and at that, used if anything worthwhile comes up. Craigslist and local 4x4 club websites are all I have around here. Its gotta be better in California even if you have a long drive for a deal.
You'll do okay. :popcorn:

Rowdy Fitzgerald

Hog hunter
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6”
Tire Size
Lol yeah I'm sure I'll find the best price/choice for me.

Mightyfordranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3in
My credo
Clean your room before you criticise the world.
Do we get to see what has become of the pig??? And I'm feeling your constant random probs that just show up at the worst times sucks:\ :sad:

prerunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Well, my Craigslist score was a bust. Was going to be a used Detroit locker for a Dana 44 and while its still listed the seller hasn't returned my email from Friday.
Oh well.
I've started sorting out the front suspension for this thing. I'm going leaf SAS and based on price point I'm going to go with RC 8002 4" lift springs. They're hella stiff so I plan to remove a leaf before even mocking them in.
I'm aware that front shackles aren't the best riding setup but rear shackles take a lot more space. Upper shock mounts will be the good ol' F250's, lowers will have to be fabricated.
A local (ish) shop I've never dealt with before has most of the SAS swap parts in kit form on their website. (http://bigcountrycustoms.com) Too bad they aren't open Saturdays, I'll have to mail order from a place an hour away. For the effort involved, having to mail order anyway I'll look farther for better deals too.

I've never said this was gonna be a quick build and cash has been tight but I need to make some progress. For my sake and to prove something to her.

:icon_thumby:

prerunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Do we get to see what has become of the pig??? And I'm feeling your constant random probs that just show up at the worst times sucks:\ :sad:
It looks about the same. lol.
I'll try to remember to post a pic tomorrow.
Don't worry I'm feeling yours and a bunch of other guys probs. I read about all of them. I can relate, believe me.

Edit. Haven't used the camera in a while and batterys dead. Charging now. :icon_idea:

Last edited:

prerunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Yep. Still looks the same. Still a POS. And still only half a 4 by.

I'm kind of working on it. Mess in the foreground is a priority currently.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals