• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

improving mpg or performance

dave2575

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
mostly 88
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
"BIGGER HAMMER!"
Harland Sharp ("Thee Man" in the world of roller rockers) uses aerospace quality 2024 aluminum witch is much more stronger than other aluminium being used for like products. So there lighter with less friction and stronger than stamped oem rockers. If nascar and NHRA motor builders trust them then that says alot about there strength and reliability.

capriroadracer.. I was talking to "twenyover" about these a couple years ago, glad to see you got em done. You should try and get them in to the 2.9 section of "Teck articles"

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave2575 on 04-06-2013.

Quote: Twentyover, Thank you for an actual answer. Your last answer pretty much says it all, if you cant race them F them!
p.s. have you made any more progress with the aluminum roller rockers your making?

Quote: That was me and my partner. He initiated the contact for the roller rockers, W/ Harlan Sharp. We met up (he's in Maryland, I'm out of Detroit) at Harlan's shop in Ohio last August. Talked with the honcho there- the guy running the store. He made a bunch of promises, we haven't seen squat."

Last edited:

twentyover

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
This place cracks me up sometimes.

Mark (CapriRoadRacer) clearly states that the rocker's he's showing don't make sense for most people, that we are limited to 2.6, 2.8, or 2.9 engines. Still someone pipes up with the 4.0 motor being the better choice. Certainly pleased that reading comprehension is still taught in schools. Too bad not everyone attended that day.

Mark finally got his rockers, while I may be heading a different direction on my rockers.

I bought (or at least paid for) my pistons for the long rod variant of the 2.9 we are developing (Mark- if you're reading, yes I'll get the job number next time I'm at the machinist- I was traveling last week)- again, the pistons cost a pile of money, so did the long rods, so do most things in racing. Wanna play you gotta pay.

In reality, most racing parts suck on street motors- I want my engine to run best between 4000-7500 for hours, i don't give a rats fanny if it can idle across the parking lot.

Still questions come about How do I hotrod a 2.9? Why not show what's possible?

While most of use can't use the logic "because race car" I am curious what that does for you?
Are you gaining lift? They look heavy compared to a simple stamped steel rocker, any penalty to your rpm ceiling?
I am even more curious on what EMS you use to feed a capri with a truck engine swap.
Aluminum is 1/3 the weight of steel/iron. You may give up weight, but you gain spades in stiffness (MOI is a cube function of thickness.) How much does a tubafore bend in the short (2") direction vs the long (4") direction with the same load? about 1/8 as much. Even though Modulus of elasticity of aluminum is 1/3 steel, the net gain in rocker stiffness is pretty substantial. You spring to the rpm you want to see, they don't limit rpm.

EMS? EMS???. We don' need no stinkin' EMS. Mark is running a Ron Woods intake for 3 IDA or IDF Webers. I'll be running a heavily modified Offenhauser 2.6 intake w/ a Holley. No truck (or even Merkur Scorpio) intake, no EMS, no problem

For what they are doing it is a big benefit. Another thing you may be missing is that they are replacing the springs in the rocker assembly with spacers which also reduces friction and is better at positioning the rockers on the shaft. The reduced friction will allow the engine to rev both higher and quicker. For a road racer that is limited in what engines he can run, this could be a race winner.
I'll be candid here. I'm not sure the springs cost you that much- It's not like your opening them, the only real negative impact I can theoretically see is a little friction and heat. I've thought about this some, and never come to a clear resolution in my own mind how significant an impact it truly is. Don't have the money to rent a spintron, so it's still in the cogitating stages. That said, I will absolutely run solid spacers. Racing the MGB at Buttonwillow, missed a shift and over-revved. Rocker moved off the valve tip, bent a valve, put me on the trailer. Cheap insurance for high rpm shaft mounted rockers. And pushing a car onto a trailer is a b***h

Last edited:

Robbyj67

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Some Progress on 2.9L Performance Parts

Granted, this work and news is about 20 years late, but a few pals and I who road race Ford Capris have been conspiring with a few vendors to make some go-faster parts. Oddly, our sanctioning body allows us to use the 2.9L V6 in addition to the 2.6L and 2.8L, though the 2.9L never showed up in a U.S. market Capri.

We now have new rocker shaft assemblies, complete from the head up, including a cradle that holds the smaller diameter rocker shaft and keeps the roller rocker arms in place, and steel pedestals. The only thing you have to provide are the allen head cap screws that secure the assembly to the head, and modify the middle cap screw to mimic the stock bolts for allowing oil to pass from head to shaft. With luck, there are a few pics here of this assembly.

We also had some very nice one-piece stainless steel valves made up, after working with a head porter to grind on a sacrificial head to determine the optimum valve head sizes. We settled on 1.825" intakes, and stayed with the stock exhaust valve diameter. Using these valves only makes sense if a fair amount of head porting is done. I can post stock and post-port flow numbers at 0.010" increments, up to 0.600" if there is interest here.

These mods are not cheap, and for most folks it makes no sense to go this route (so please spare us the "You're a moron for spending that kind of $$$!" advice since for us in our particular class, it does make sense).

If there's interest, I / we can post more info on our adventure.
Hi capriroadracer, I know that this is an old post but were these rockers a one off item or is this something you can still order?

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
Hi capriroadracer, I know that this is an old post but were these rockers a one off item or is this something you can still order?
Tom morana, morana racing.

He has em.

Robbyj67

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tom morana, morana racing.

He has em.
Thanks PetroleumJunkie412, Ya I've seen the Morana Racing ones and might go that route. But the ones capriroadracer has are shaft mount which are better.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
FE block ones may work. Not sure. My 2.9 has FE lifters.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals