• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1995 2.3 Fuel Pump Primes Forever

WalkerTexas

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
When I first start up my truck, I like to let the fuel pump prime for a bit before I crank over the ignition. A few weeks ago, it started to prime for an extremely long time. This morning it primed for about 5 minutes straight... The vehicle will not start during this time either. Once I finally got it started, partly because of what I believe to be this problem, partly because my starter is going out, I got it onto the main road and went through first gear, second gear, and then it died on me. As I was coasting to a stop, I decided to pop the clutch to see if that would bump start it, but nothing. When I was sitting on the side of the road, I had the key in the on position and I could hear the fuel pump cycling again... It kept humming for about 2 more minutes and then I finally got it going again. This is extremely frustrating, particularly when it runs fine afterwards. Do I need a new fuel pump? Or is it something more electrical? This truck is a real hoopty and had someone's "custom" wiring running through it for some aftermarket sound system and it seems that if it's not one thing, it's another. Also, when I cycle my ignition to get the car to start since the starter is bad, by door locks cycle even though they don't actually function when the vehicle is running. Weird! Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
In the engine fuse box you will find the Fuel Pump Relay, FP Relay, the computer controls this relay.
Fuel pump should only run for 2 seconds when key is turned on, then computer won't turn it on again until engine RPMs are above 400.
It is a safety feature, if fuel line should break, or in an accident, engine would die and fuel pump would stop pumping out fuel.

I would pull out the Fuel Pump Relay, then turn on the key, you shouldn't hear the fuel pump come on of course.
If you do then the noise you were hearing may not have been the fuel pump.

Shake the relay, you shouldn't hear anything, I think you will hear a noise, my guess is that the spring inside that holds the relay open(OFF) is broken, so gravity is keeping it closed(ON) and any vibrations is causing it to open a bit cutting off fuel pump randomly.

Replace FP relay, under $10, it is a standard automotive relay

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals