• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

front hub problems

Raw16057

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 06 ranger 4x4 4.0 4 door 5 speed auto. I was hearing bearing noise so isolated it to the front drivers side. I went to pep boys and bought a new hub. it seemed easy to install so I got the old one out and installed the new one. I torqued it down and figured I was good. I drove it 5 miles and the bearing was screaming and the abs light came on. I immediately removed it and took it back. they looked at it and it had 1/4 inch of play in it. I got a better bearing or so I thought I installed it today drove about 20 miles before this one went bad. I watched all the videos on you tube and I did everything they do and still it does not work. is there a secret to do this or what.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Maybe there is a problem with the axle, CV joint.
Did it feel OK when replacing hub?
Can you jack up both front wheels and spin front drive shaft to see if axle on that side has a problem?

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
how much torque did you put on the CV shaft nut?
I stand on the wrench, its easily 300+ lbs. (on a 2000)
don't torque it with the full weight of the vehicle, I lower the jack just enough so the tire doesn't start spinning.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals