• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

sputtering engine??

stumpcatcher

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Hi
86 Ranger 2.9Lt. I brought it home on a trailer from junkyard where it sat for 6 years, I was told it had unspecified engine trouble.
Since Im unfamiliar with fuel injected engines thot I would tell you what engine runs like. I just did oil change it ran the same b4 & after.

Hot or cold it starts fine.
When its stone cold, start it up and it runs like a new one, as it starts to warm RPM slows so I havta go turn up idle screw to keep it at 1000RPM, warms up a bit more RPM slows again and I havta urn up idle screw some more, and so on and so forth. When it gets to operating temp it sputters like its missing always in the same manner, give it some throttle and idle at higher RPM and it sputters exactly the same way no matter what RPM you run it at. When you step on it sounds like it runs fine till you stabilize it at a higher RPM.

I dont have a gas tank rite now so I stuck fuel line and return line in a 2 gallon jerry can and I overdosed gas with injector cleaner I ran it for about 30 minutes in total. I put a low pressure pump on the fuel line. I hear the high pressure pump run so I guess its ok. Fuel supply looks fine, when I push down on that valve stem looking thing where your spozeta check fuel pressure gas shoots out so I assume fuel pressure is good.

Assuming that all other things are ok, Is there something about fuel injection thats causing the problem??

Last edited:

stumpcatcher

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
:icon_idea:
Hey I just thot of something.........

Since it sputters like its missing always in the same manner, give it some throttle and idle at higher RPM and it sputters exactly the same way no matter what RPM you run it at. When you step on it sounds like it runs fine till you stabilize it at a higher RPM.

Maybe its timing chain slack?? :icon_confused:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Fuel injected engines use a coolant temp sensor called the ECT as the "choke", since there are no jets.
The ECT sensor tells the computer controller(PCM) that the engine is cold so the PCM runs injectors rich and advances the timing, just like a "choke" did on a carb.
This is called Open Loop operation.
The idle should be high, about 1,200, the idle is set by the IAC(idle air control) valve, this is found on the upper intake, it is a mechanical valve that is, in essence, a controlled vacuum leak, the more air it allows in the higher the idle.
The PCM controls this valve, but these do get dirty and can get sticky, cleaning them is fairly straight forward.

As engine warms up the idle is reduced and fuel mix is leaned out, the PCM then switches to Closed Loop, in Closed Loop the PCM uses the O2 sensors to determine if engine is running lean or rich and adjusts injectors accordingly.

The MAP sensor is located on the firewall, it will have a vacuum line attached, that's how you find it, the MAP sensor tells the PCM the air pressure inside the intake, this is how the PCM knows how much fuel can be mixed with the air, with flooding or stalling, the O2 sensors are for the fine tuning of this.
Make sure the vacuum line is air tight, a small leak will cause odd engine operation.

New Fords use a MAF sensor instead of a MAP sensor.

The ECT sensor is a TWO WIRE sensor and is only used by the PCM, there is also a ONE WIRE sender that looks similar, that one is for the dash board temp gauge.

When you stabilize the idle and get odd fluctuations it sounds like a vacuum leak, the PCM is try to stabilize it but can't.

Also check the fuel pressure regulator(FPR) on the fuel rail, it has a vacuum line attached, remove this line and make sure it is air tight and also doesn't smell like gas.
The FPR has a rubber diaphragm inside, and after sitting dry for a long time it might be cracked and leaking fuel, this would be sucked into the intake cause odd engine operation.

stumpcatcher

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Haynes manual sez 1st thing to do I check the fuel filter.
That will take me the rest of the day.
Its the canister type, havta take canister off with band wrench, I dont have a band wrench that small, Ill havta jury rig something to take canister off.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Oxygen sensor will do that.

Also, you don't touch the idle screw on an EFI engine.

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
Hi
86 Ranger 2.9Lt. I brought it home on a trailer from junkyard where it sat for 6 years, I was told it had unspecified engine trouble.
Since Im unfamiliar with fuel injected engines thot I would tell you what engine runs like. I just did oil change it ran the same b4 & after.

Hot or cold it starts fine.
When its stone cold, start it up and it runs like a new one, as it starts to warm RPM slows so I havta go turn up idle screw to keep it at 1000RPM, warms up a bit more RPM slows again and I havta urn up idle screw some more, and so on and so forth. When it gets to operating temp it sputters like its missing always in the same manner, give it some throttle and idle at higher RPM and it sputters exactly the same way no matter what RPM you run it at. When you step on it sounds like it runs fine till you stabilize it at a higher RPM.

I dont have a gas tank rite now so I stuck fuel line and return line in a 2 gallon jerry can and I overdosed gas with injector cleaner I ran it for about 30 minutes in total. I put a low pressure pump on the fuel line. I hear the high pressure pump run so I guess its ok. Fuel supply looks fine, when I push down on that valve stem looking thing where your spozeta check fuel pressure gas shoots out so I assume fuel pressure is good.

Assuming that all other things are ok, Is there something about fuel injection thats causing the problem??
That is your trouble. You have tricked some old heap that somebody else gave up on SIX
years ago. Nothing is OK. On top of that youv'e completely hacked the fuel delivery. Be happy it runs . Use it to get your fire wood and fugeddaboudit :D

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Haynes manual sez 1st thing to do I check the fuel filter.
That will take me the rest of the day.
Its the canister type, havta take canister off with band wrench, I dont have a band wrench that small, Ill havta jury rig something to take canister off.
That is not the fuel filter. It may have an element in it, but it's not the filter you are supposed to check. You are interested in the one all the way up at the front of the truck. Crawl under it right behind the front wheel and look straight up. It's an in-line unit.

stumpcatcher

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
That is your trouble. You have tricked some old heap that somebody else gave up on SIX
years ago. Nothing is OK. On top of that youv'e completely hacked the fuel delivery. Be happy it runs . Use it to get your fire wood and fugeddaboudit :D
Fuel delivery mimics original exactly.
This old heap is the newest truck I got.
I will to fix it, I got 2 wrecks with good parts that I need to fix it.
If I dont get it fixed by fall I can use my 85 Ranger 2WD to get wood, I made tire chains for it, and its ready to go. A Viking does not give up that easy.
As I will so shall it be.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals