• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

EMISS Light for 1986 Ranger 2.9 auto.

Flat_Bottom

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hello all, first time poster long time reader. I just picked up a little '86 Ranger 2.9 auto 4x4 for a hunting rig and have been doing a bit or work to it for the past few days such as relay replacement, checked electrical and fixing/replacing both fuel pumps. Now one thing that I have noticed is that I never get a check engine light when I first turn the key on. I get the seat belt light that comes on for a bit then goes off but no EMISS light. Now I have been trying to solve this on my own without joining a forum and asking questions but I just dont see any other choice. I have read that some 86-87 rangers did not have an EMISS light wired in, that they were either covered up from the factory or that a bulb was in the socket but no signal wire ever ran to it (this has been written from original owners and such as well). I have read that some trucks will not have a CEL if they were build with the export emissions stuff but ALL US built trucks will have it. I have ran my VIN number and found out that the truck was built in Canada. Does anyone have any further information on this subject? I have to smog the truck (California) in a week or so and don't want to fail by an unknowing technician. Thanks in advance.

enjr44

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 2X4; 08 FX4
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Well, from what I understand (IIRC), CA trucks had the CEL light and non-CA trucks did not (made for sale anywhere else). So, my bet is you are going to have a rodeo with the SMOG guy since 90% of them are not old enough to know the difference.

FYI, my 08 has a label on it saying it was not made for sale in CA. Don't know the differences; but, ........

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The white cert label on the rad support should give you some clues about whether or not your truck was built to comply with Cali emissions. It will either say "california emssions" or "federal emissions" somewhere in the block that tells you what year it is.

Also, you can just take the instrument cluster out and look. If it's a Canada built truck odds are very good that the light isn't in there, and the circuit board is just blocked off. If it is there the bulb is probably out.

While I don't have any first hand experience with California emissions testing I have read the sagas of many trying to deal with them, and it seems to me that the best way to deal with having the pass Cali emissions is to just move out of California. Seems to me that course fixes a lot of other problems too.

Flat_Bottom

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thank you both for the replies. The stickers under the hood look like worn out 29 year old stickers but there is a metal ID plate on the firewall just above the blower motor, I will check it out tomorrow. I will be dropping the tank tomorrow afternoon to replace the in tank pump so that will be a good time for me to dig a bit deeper and see if the truck is physically equipped with the light. As for California emissions...you hit the nail on the head. California is a great state being ruined by ignorance, but needless to say Im here and need my truck to pass its emissions. I have noticed that the seatbelt light comes on when the key is turned to on position and then goes off once truck is started...possible wire swap to a different bulb??? Haha, I appreciate the information so far and hope to get solid information to take to the smog guy.

enjr44

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 2X4; 08 FX4
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
For the mid 80s, that seat belt light works pretty much like they all did. A light to remind you; but, it doesn't nag you. I bet if you check their is no wiring going the belt latch.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The EMISS light isn't a CEL per say, it is a guesstimating device that tries to guess when you have driven approximately 60k miles by the amount of time your key switch has been on and then it turns a light on to remind you that you need to have your emissions equipment inspected. It says you need to check your engine but not because anything is necessarily wrong, just you need to check it because you hit a time limit in a little module that has no clue what is going on with your engine. It isn't a California only thing. In your manual it says how to reset it by pushing a button under the passenger side of the dash.

Last edited:

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
In your manual it says how to reset it by pushing a button under the passenger side of the dash.
Uh yeah, how many of us still have those.

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
The manual or the button?

LOL

Mike Tonon

The EMISS light isn't a CEL per say, it is a guesstimating device that tries to guess when you have driven approximately 60k miles by the amount of time your key switch has been on and then it turns a light on to remind you that you need to have your emissions equipment inspected. It says you need to check your engine but not because anything is necessarily wrong, just you need to check it because you hit a time limit in a little module that has no clue what is going on with your engine. It isn't a California only thing. In your manual it says how to reset it by pushing a button under the passenger side of the dash.
I think it came on once on my 87 and to me it was just, "How do I shut this thing off so my dash panel looks like it should, stock." lol

Mike Tonon

Squeeze the sides of the inside of the glove box and drop it down. Look straight up into the dash and if memory serves me right, there is a brown box with a round sticker that says, "RESET". Poke through the sticker with a nail or something similar and hold the button. Sorry I don't remember more of the procedure than that. You might have to have the key in the on position.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Uh yeah, how many of us still have those.
Someone hid my module on me. It comes on about every 5 years to drive me nuts for two weeks and then must give up or somehow reset itself. I can't find the stupid thing anywhere under the dash where it is supposed to be.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I meant the manual, but yes, those modules have been elusive as well.

When the light on my truck came on my dad just ignored it until the bulb burnt out.

Flat_Bottom

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Well actually, my truck came with its original manual. And yes, I meant to say CEL but read a post prior to registering on here that was talking about the EMISS light and I got my terms confused. As for my CEL, it does not have a bulb in the slot. I tore the dash apart to check and low and behold, no bulb has ever been pushed through the plastic. I am going to just run it to smog and hope that the technicians leave it alone and not try to make a big deal about it. Oh, and for the record, my seat belts are in fact wired up. I noticed it when I swapped in some power buckets from an explorer yesterday.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals