• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

pcm problem 1996 ford ranger 2.3l

rangermike5353

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
i finally found out that it wasnt the IAC that was causing my stalling issues. I was told that the pcm was going bad. if i got a used pcm would i need to recalibrate . there are several models for this vehicle . im debating to get used or a reman, not too many mechanics want to mess with it . any suggestions please help thx Mike

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Shouldn't be too many variations other than manual or auto...power steering...AC...try to find one with the same transmission and all the goodies in case you want to add them later...

I took my ps out and the only thing I've seen is a change in the codes that it was throwing...just an out of spec on the ps...which is understandable....since it isn't there anymore...lol

From what I've heard it doesn't matter *too much* unless it affects emissions...like removing sensors or whatever...but you aren't doing that so stick with the same or similar model year...96 was just up from the OBD-II system and didn't have PATS to worry about...

rangermike5353

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
I guess this pcm im getting from ebay is already programmed and flashed. your right there are about a dozen different models. I had to pull the old one to get the part number . after i reinstalled it it ran like crap. how long are you suppose to leave the battery cables disconnected?This is a manual transmission by the way thx Mike

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
The codes should clear within half an hour after disconnecting the battery...but if you have a scanner or can get one they clear instantly once you push the erase button...this helps when trying to diagnose something instead of having to wait until the capacitance dies off...

Hopefully yours will be a close enough match so as not to affect anything...I have the 96 manual also and I think there is an issue because I am getting P0351 error that is coil related...or something affecting that...and I've tried changing plugs...swapped wires...checking for vacuum leaks and all the "maybe" stuff...the last thing is the PCM.

I want to swap in an automatic (need to, actually) so will need a new pcm also...or one closer to the specs...still looking into that myself...

rangermike5353

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
autozone told me i can still get a new one around $180 with $80or $90 core. this is calibrated and flashed by Ford with the updated software . i had to give them the ML2-212 NUMBER to cross it with the oem part

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
RonD posted this link in another thread...you might want to check out the numbers on this chart...it only actually shows 2 versions of the 2.3 PCM but there were Mustangs and others that used the same engine so there is a wider variety due to that...

http://oldfuelinjection.packrad.net/page17.html

It was also mentioned that you can run a PCM from an automatic if needed...or desired...but it throws a CEL...which makes getting your emission testing done...they will not test them in Canada if the light is on (apparently) but I need to check that further also because of my situation...I need to get it cleared regardless because it appears to be burning more fuel than it should...

EDIT: I just went out and looked at the PCM in my truck...it is an ARE1 which was not on the list above...probably a Canadian thing...I thought it was to do with when the article was done but it appears to have been produced in or after 2005...meaning all 96 PCMs up to that point would be listed...so...again...a Canadian thing...

EDIT II: If you read through the article on the computer Ford uses, it says down near the bottom that regardless of what transmission is in the truck you can have the PCM reprogrammed to match what you have...which is great...except from what I've read elsewhere the cost is exorbitant...excessive and a whole bunch of EX words that describe it...

With a bit of hunting and the right hardware/software you might be able to reprogram one yourself...

EDIT III:

Which models and model years of vehicles can be reprogrammed?

Emission-related (OBDII) modules on some vehicles manufactured in 1995 and all vehicles manufactured from 1996 to the present

Non-emission-related modules on many vehicles (UBP and Medium Speed MSCan are not supported)

In addition, module initialization (PATS) functions such as Keycode Erase/Reprogram and PCM Parameter Reset can be done using this application.

Last edited:

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
Well, when they built the thing in the last century, it was new, and the pcm or ecm or computer had never been used before... and the engine ran fine as the new owner drove off the showroom floor...
So, I'd say, it should take no time at all for the computer to 'learn', and the only thing noticeably affected would be the idle speed, which should be very quick. It should not run bad from the get-go unless there's something wrong.
If the rest of the engine is fine, I'd suspect your ebay purchase as being defective on receipt. Unless the seller has a golden reputation, I would be hesitant to buy a used computer that was commonly available elsewhere. Hens teeth? Yeah, I might give that seller more of a chance.
All that said, did you use a scan tool to watch what the computer was 'commanding' the IAC to perform? You can see that if you get a scan tool. You can get an "ELM" wifi/bluetooth/USB scan thingy to plug into a laptop or PC along with FORSCAN software for less than $30. Search here or on ford - trucks dot com, I think wptski who posts here and there on the web @ford/ranger sites has a good writeup on it. THAT will tell you what's going on, and is useful with an OBD-II setup. A lot cheaper than buying parts on the web and shotgunning the problem. Most times, a computer will not 'start to fail' and keep working. In this use, a computer will work or it won't. The things that it 'runs', such as coils and injectors, depend on the computer to provide a ground to the item. The power is fed from the battery source, and the computer provides or removes the ground via a transistor, to make them work. It does not send current to the units, and the only failing would be shorting(conduct all the time) or opening(non-conduct). They don't seem to slowly die.
tom

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals