• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

One head's valve train is different?

jhammel85

I had oil starting to drip onto my exhaust manifold on the passenger side of the truck so I decided to do the valve cover gaskets. Went well and the valve train looks great. No obvious cracks either so alls well... Except i have one odd thing. I noticed that the passenger side definitely seemed dirtier. Mainly, it looks like carbon. I was wondering if maybe i have a blockage in the cat, causing exhaust gas to back up into the engine. Doesn't make tons of sense to me but thats all i can figure out.....

See my photos below! First ill post the side in question and my next post will have the cleaner side.

jhammel85

And the other side...

Either way, not bad for 200k!

As a bit of a back story though, because it'll definitely explain SOME carbon buildup im sure, the truck has always had a problem since i got it five years ago. When started warm, after sitting an hr or so, itll hesitate and hunt for idle if i let it idle when forst started or if i go up the street a few feet and stop. Itll surge and run rich enough to see puffs of black smoke. Then it clears up and its good to go. Never to do it again unless im sitting and idling for a long time in traffic. People behind me with their windows must love that good ol fuel smell...every sensor and the fpr have been replaced but i believe it to be a circut problem since i do get a code. I think its 86? Fuel pump circuit. The eec cannot tell the fuel pumps are running is the basic explanation of the code i found. I've got hunting to do.

Thanks for helping out!

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The dirty side/clean side could just be PCV valve and Vent hose related.
One valve cover will have the PCV valve pulling in blow-by and oil vapor, the other will have fresh air coming in from air cleaner.

You could have a leaking injector, if engine sits over night leaked fuel evaporates, if it sits a shorter time start up is flooded by extra fuel in the intake.

You could get a fuel pressure gauge and test if system holds pressure when shut off.

Or there is a "clear flooded engine" routine in all fuel injection computers.
To start the routine:
Turn key on(RUN)
Press gas pedal to the floor and hold it there
Turn key to START

Engine should just crank and not start, if you release the gas pedal engine will start.

How it works:
With key on engine off, computer is on
When you press the gas pedal to the floor the TPS(throttle position sensor) sends the computer above 4.5volts, WOT(wide open throttle)
Since engine is off(no CKP sensor signal) the computer starts "clear flooded engine" routine.
This routine prevents fuel injectors from being pulsed(opened), so no fuel should flow to intake.
But spark will still be working.

So if spark is working but no fuel there should be a no start, if there is a leaking injector or FPR(fuel pressure regulator) then engine would start or at least fire a few times.

I would do this test after engine is warmed up, so do the test at the same time you notice the problem of the rich mix.

Wouldn't be code 86, that's a transmission code, shift solenoid.

The computer does have a wire spliced into the fuel pump power wire, this allows computer to "see" if fuel pump is getting power when computer turns on the Fuel Pump relay, if it isn't "seeing" the power, that could come up as code 87

That could be a failing Fuel Pump relay, which is common on older rangers, they are about $8 to replace, so almost a why not maintenance item :)

Last edited:

jhammel85

Thanks for the detailed response! I'm going to try the fuel pressure test first. My gauge leaks a little so its time for a new one. Then I'll try the flooded engine test to see what's going on. Its odd that it'll do it while the truck idles for a while but I still would think a sticky injector too...I've always wondered....

And yes, it could be a relay but I've replaced them twice in the trucks lifetime before I realized water was messing it them. I was actually hoping the relay getting water in it caused a bridge between the contacts with corrosion but no, not it.

The carbon build up is on the PVC side so this actually makes a lot of sense. Good to know!

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Also as an engine gets up in miles the valve guide seals start to leak oil down the intake valve stem so it is sucked into the cylinder and burned.
Engine vacuum at idle is at it's highest, this is when the most oil is sucked in, so after idling a bit when you step on the gas you can get a puff of smoke, and a bit of misfiring because oil can foul the air/fuel mix.

jhammel85

Figured I'd update. Still no luck with the odd start up issue. I tried the procedure you mentioned and each time, the engine fired up. Do you think because I'm running an 88 EEC it doesn't have that functionality?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals