• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

One more 2wd 98 coil spring 5.0 swap.

Jbrown1238

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
None
You weren't that far into the axle build, why not leave the bracket intact and bolt it up when the axle shafts were out?

SVT
It would still need to be cut in order to be installed on the inside of the flange, correct? Unless I am mistaken the bracket can't be installed on the outside of the flange like the Mustang. Please let me know if I misunderstood the process.

Jbrown1238

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
None
A day or two ago I finished color sanding the entire cab with 2000 grit wet. That was the final step of preparation before moving on to the polishing process.

After washing the first two panels I started step one of a three step process polishing the basecoat/clearcoat finish with Norton Liquid Ice. The following photos are the first two panels completed with the first of three pads.

Now we can take a closer look and see if all that sanding across the panels helped with the alignment. With a little luck it will look like the side was cut on a CNC machine. I have my fingers crossed that we get a nice reflection with all lines meeting in the middle.

Damn! I forgot to take all that oil back to Advance Auto Parts. My wife is going to kill me!

More photos to come in a few days when the cab is complete.

Last edited:

veefer800canuck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger FX4
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Wow.

I wish I had that level of patience.

2004xlmiller

March 2013 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
It would still need to be cut in order to be installed on the inside of the flange, correct? Unless I am mistaken the bracket can't be installed on the outside of the flange like the Mustang. Please let me know if I misunderstood the process.
you have it right, still needed to be cut due to switching the brackets from L to R from how they would be on a mustang. clean build, coming along nicely!

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
For mounting to the inside, yes, you're correct. I was thinking they go on the outside...

SVT

Jbrown1238

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
None
you have it right, still needed to be cut due to switching the brackets from L to R from how they would be on a mustang. clean build, coming along nicely!
I missed the part about switching the left and right side. Something didn't look correct so I checked my notes and found the error. They do fit better after making the change.

Jbrown1238

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
None
For mounting to the inside, yes, you're correct. I was thinking they go on the outside...

SVT
I wish they fit that way, I would have liked to use the dust shields.

Lil-Pony

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Take a Guess
Engine Size
2.8 soon to be 4bt
Transmission
Automatic
Damn thats a mirror finish.

Jbrown1238

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
None
Damn thats a mirror finish.
I am not going to say anything until it is done. I have a bad habit of jinxing myself and screwing something up along the way. There is still plenty of polishing left and I am breaking in a new buffer. That takes some getting use to and there is a good chance I will mess up at some point. I am trying to be careful but you know how that goes! The buffer that just took a dump has been the same one I have used since I first purchased it two days after the Challenger Shuttle exploded back in the early 1980's. I was use to using it and the new one feels "funny".

Last edited:

Lil-Pony

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Take a Guess
Engine Size
2.8 soon to be 4bt
Transmission
Automatic
I not going to say anything until it is done. I have a bad habit of jinxing myself and screwing something up along the way. There is still plenty of polishing left and I am breaking in a new buffer. That takes some getting use to and there is a good chance I will mess up at some point. I am trying to be careful but you know how that goes!
I wish you the best of luck.

Jbrown1238

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
None
The polishing is going well, I am finished with the first pad and have started on the second pad. The cowl panel is the only section not polished as it will need to be done with the hood removed. I will do that section while standing inside the engine bay so I will have plenty of access without the need to stretch across the fenders and run the risk of running through the paint with the wheel.

Over the past week or two I have also been working on the engine mock up. I am trying to complete 97% of the engine assembly on the stand before installing it in the engine bay. It is so much easier to move around the motor without the body of the vehicle in the way. I plan to strip it down to the lower intake and install it without the upper intake, front accessories and brackets, headers, and flywheel. Then reassemble it once it is in place for the last time. That way I know I have all the correct bolts, hoses, and misc. pieces beforehand and everything fits properly.

A short belt is being used so the AC can be deleted to begin with. Once the truck is up and running the AC will be installed and the correct length belt swapped in.

I also attached an oil filter in the OE position temporarily to close the system. A relocation kit has been ordered and will be installed prior to the engine being lowered into place.

I also set the new fender emblems in place just to get an idea of what they will look like. They still need to go out for engraving before being placed permanently.

Last edited:

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
I dont think crate engines look that good. Great work...

SVT

Jbrown1238

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
None
I dont think crate engines look that good. Great work...

SVT
Thank you. It is getting exciting now! I can't wait to lower this thing in place and start piecing it together inside the engine bay. I still have a few things to cross off the list before that is ready to happen. I have to remove the hood, polish the cowl panel, install the wiper assembly, install the engine harness, etc. Nothing big just misc. stuff. Of course I still need to finish the polishing process and install the door handles. That is going to be a big step as well. I am sick of opening the doors with a pair of pliers. : )

gsp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Very Nice, help me out here,,, are you running EGR, passeger side header tap??? if so why?

Jbrown1238

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
None
Very Nice, help me out here,,, are you running EGR, passeger side header tap??? if so why?
Yes, I am running EGR. The main reason is I am just trying to avoid any potential issues with start up and drivability. I am sure I will have some here and there and I will address each as they arise. However, a great deal of this vehicle has been disassembled and reassembled. I feel confident that all of the connections are correct and secure but still there is no guarantee after so much of it has been disturbed. When I started I wanted to leave as much as possible stock and in place and make any custom changes after it was up and running.

It wasn't so much a decision as to if I wanted the EGR or not, it was more a decision to leave it alone for now and decide after other concerns have been addressed and resolved.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals