• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

clutch replacement issues

decolores9

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2000 Ranger 2.5L 2WD 5-speed

Just replaced the clutch and slave, what a job! lol

1. There is a whitish gray piece of braided cloth material that appears to be a heat shield. It was near the exhaust manifold/cat pipe area. It may have been on the wiring to the O2 sensor or the rubber hose that mates into a pipe near there. Anyway, it more or less fell off when I took out the transmission. I tried to slide it back on, but it won't stay. The edges looked frayed and I am wonder if there is a piece missing, or mice nibbled it, or something. My questions are:
a. where does this piece really go?
b. How is it supposed to be retained?
c. Is it a problem to just leave it off?

2. On the test drive, I noticed a smell, sort of like a burning brake fluid or burning plastic smell. It seemed to diminish as I drove it more. I did spill some brake fluid around the clutch reservoir, but also put BreakFree and Kroil on the manifold to cat pipe bolts when trying to get this loose. My best guess is that it's the Kroil or brake fluid burning off, but are there other things I should be looking for? Could it be related to the currently missing heat shield.

3. The pilot bearing should be pushed in to the stop in the crankshaft, correct? The new one is the same size as the original, but it seems to be further into the recess than I remember the original one being. Should I have only pushed it in enough to be flush the flange, and left a recess at the back? If so, will pushing it into the stop cause a problem?

Thanks for your help!

Last edited:

Campbell5149

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
1) thats just a heat wrap on the o2 harness, no big deal just make sure youve got an air gap between the harness and exhaust.

2) you will smell the fluid burning off as a result of the exhaust heating up the spilled fluid. no biggie.

3) the pilot bearing should be flush with the crank. not recessed. you probably pushed it in too far. shouldnt be a huge deal as long as the pilot shaft slides into it some, it'll still serve its purpose

Last edited:

decolores9

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
1) thats just a heat wrap on the o2 harness, no big deal just make sure youve got an air gap between the harness and exhaust.

2) you will smell the fluid burning off as a result of the exhaust heating up the spilled fluid. no biggie.

3) the pilot bearing should be flush with the crank. not recessed. you probably pushed it in too far. shouldnt be a huge deal as long as the pilot shaft slides into it some, it'll still serve its purpose
Thanks for the help. I'll check to verify the air space, wait for the fluid to burn off, and live with the pilot bearing issue. I think it went in less than 1/8" deeper, so the shaft should still be mostly engaged in the bearing. Thanks, I really, really did not want to redo this job!

Thanks.

Campbell5149

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
no problem bud :icon_thumby:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals