• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Exhaust manifold leak/ Indecisive about which exhaust to install.

ezln1992

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Turns out my 91 2.9 has an air leak coming out the drivers side exhaust manifold. I plan on replacing the gasket soon and it seemed easy enough being that there is so much clearance around the manifold. Anything I should be aware of before I switch out the gasket? Im trying to avoid any surprises with something that seems straight forward lol

Also im thinking of installing some flowmasters or maganaflows finally after years with my ranger. Everything is completely stock so I wanna get some feedback on what you guys thinks might be the best sounding exhaust to go with. Also whether I should remove the cat and/or resonator. Really interested in what you guys have to say on this.

dave2575

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
mostly 88
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
"BIGGER HAMMER!"
Your more than likly going to run into a couple problems when replacing the exhaust manifold gasket/s. The first problem is breaking the exhaust manifold bolt/s, and the second problem is taking out the broken bolt/s! They never seem to break with enough bolt shank to get ahold of, it seems like they usually break flush with the head.
Suggestion's... You could take the truck to an exhaust shop and ask them to take out the bolts for you, The'll break'em and the'll take'em out. but thats deffinitly not the cheapest solution. The cheapest and best way is to do it yourself, but take your time and dont rush yourself. Drench the bolts in a anti-rust/metal lubricant for a few hours, and then heat'em up with a torch, ive even ran the truck for a while getting the motor hot and then tried loosining them. Who knows you could be the luckiest guy ever and not get any broken bolts in witch case its a pretty strait foreward job.
I prefere flowmasters for there sound and performance, but I have had a few differenrt exhaust setups on my truck, Oh and DON'T drop your cats, You'll loose power and it sounds horrible. trust me I know this...

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Are you sure it is leaking at the head/s or is it at the flange for the pipes? My muffeler guy uses a lond vacuum tube taped to a soft wire leaving the end of the tube open you can bend the wire to reach hard to get at places to isolate the leak/s. put one end up to your ear and search around with the other the closer to the leak the louder the ticking will be.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals