• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

EGR and Coil pack issues

camelman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have a 1996 ranger 2.3 that is almost running right. I checked it with the Torque app and saw that the coil pack for 5,6,7,8 is misfiring enough to throw trouble codes. I swapped the coil packs, and the issue stayed with 5,6,7,8.

I also saw that the upstream and downstream side of the DPFE is registering a fault. Sometimes it is just the upstream, sometimes just the downstream, sometimes both, but never fault-free.

I've replaced the EGR valve, DPFE, EGR solenoid, DPFE vacuum hoses.
Also replaced the IAC, MAF, plugs and wires (all 8), TPS, crank and cam position sensors, cleaned the intake manifold, replaced timing belt, air filter, fuel filter, check fuel pressure (looked good), and I'm sure some other stuff.

Any ideas how to fix my misfire and DPFE issues? 175k miles.

Thanks,
Camelman

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
I would check that the coil pack has all the attaching bolts installed. I think all are used individually to ground the coils. The plugs indicated do not fire all the time, FWIW. They are brought into service on specific conditions being met. If all else seems to be working, you might want to check the (E)DIS. I am not real familiar with them.
tom

camelman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks, I checked the coil grounds and even sanded down some light corrosion I saw, but there was no noticeable improvement. Since this is a 1996, the ICM is integrated with the ECM, so I can't take it off and have it checked.

Has anyone checked the coil pack harness by removing it and testing the connections for power, signal, etc.?

camelman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
BTW, I smell gas whenever I let off the gas after driving at a steady speed for a while. I also notice a gas smell when I'm driving slowly up a hill. My MPGs are around 25-28 on the highway at 65MPH.

There is also a "dead spot" when I let off the gas slightly at 20% throttle or so in all gears. It only happens when the engine isn't pushing hard, and I've read that a bad EGR system can cause this.

camelman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I replaced the exhaust coil pack and the issues almost completely went away. I replaced the intake side coil pack, and it runs smooth as silk. I still see an EGR issue in the torque app (no CEL), but the EGR system is working, so I'm not so worried about it. I definitely have a failing brake booster though... yay.

Anyway, if you replace all the ish I replaced, then you better hold onto your truck for a couple years to pay it off!

Camelman

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals