• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

electrical interference

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
07/86
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Shop says I'm having problems with the electrical. Because there is an intermittent torque converter lock up in first gear.

I've been going through the entire pcm harness. Finding spots where the factory just soldered and didn't rap for protection. Most of them were corroded. So I've been replacing the bad by splicing and connecting with a heat shrink butt connector. Can't believe how many there were.

Found my speed sensor was bad. Produced .01 ac volts at 40 mph. Plus the insulation was missing causing the two wires to touch. So I got a new sensor, connector, and replace the circuit. Didn't fix the problem unfortunately.

However I noticed this ground next to the pcm with an non insulated silver wire next to it. I believe I goes near the distributor. I have no idea of the purpose of this wire. Anybody that knows please share.

I've replaced the pcm with a known good one just for good measure. No fix.

Now I have a sound system. And an electric fan with a relay. Both near the pcm harness but closest to the battery. I'm not sure if that could cause the interference. I'm thinking that odd ground by the pcm could be a culprit.

Thx for any help with this.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals