Home Ford Ranger Forum Builders Guide How To Tech Other Articles Featured Rangers Readers Rangers Classifieds Shirts & Decals

Old 05-15-2008, 06:55 PM   #1
Jspafford
Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012

Vehicle Year: 2009
Vehicle Make: Chevy
Vehicle Model: 2500HD
I use this vehicle for: Shaming Sports Cars
Jspafford is a glorious beacon of lightJspafford is a glorious beacon of lightJspafford is a glorious beacon of lightJspafford is a glorious beacon of lightJspafford is a glorious beacon of lightJspafford is a glorious beacon of light
Default Warped Rotors..Any Fix?

It hasn't been all that long ago, maybe 5K miles since I had the rotors turned on the front of the B2. They stopped smooth for a while and now it is back to shaking back and forth upon stopping.

Is it common for the rotors to warp or am I just unlucky? I was thinking it was because I had them turned and maybe the are getting too thin.

I am thinking about replacing them both this weekend, but is there something better I can replace them with so I don't have to do this all the time?

Thanks!
1989 Bronco II, 2.9L, Manual Trans and T-case, Manual hubs | 2004 Tahoe Z71, 5.3L 4L60E, AutoTrac 4WD, Leather, Bose, DVD, Loaded | 2009 Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison Crew Cab Long Bed 5" MBRP Straight Pipe, EFI Live Tuned by Longhorn Fab Shop.
Jspafford is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement - Don't want to see the forum ads? Click HERE to find out how to be a Premium Member.

5% Rock Auto Discount Code: 83E98FB3D89C78 Expires: June 26, 2018
Old 05-15-2008, 07:02 PM   #2
v-8power

Vehicle Year: 1990
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger
v-8power is a splendid one to beholdv-8power is a splendid one to beholdv-8power is a splendid one to beholdv-8power is a splendid one to beholdv-8power is a splendid one to beholdv-8power is a splendid one to behold

Even new ones should be turned before you install them, to make sure they are true.
We make some rotors at work for big trucks and you would not believe the tolerence we are
allowed.

It would also be better if you buy bendix brake parts vs. autozone crap. just my .02 though.
Old 05-15-2008, 07:10 PM   #3
Mutant Pony

Vehicle Year: 1977
Vehicle Model: Pinto
I use this vehicle for: Mud racing/trails
Mutant Pony will become famous soon enough

I have seen new rotors warped right out of the box but, it is rare. I've seen rotors warp quickly after turning out a warp more often. Put new rotors on it. They are fairly inexpensive.
Also, Keep your foot off the brake pedal unless you need it. Use the engine to slow you down.

Last edited by Mutant Pony; 05-15-2008 at 07:13 PM.
Mutant Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 07:16 PM   #4
Jspafford

Jspafford is a glorious beacon of lightJspafford is a glorious beacon of lightJspafford is a glorious beacon of lightJspafford is a glorious beacon of lightJspafford is a glorious beacon of lightJspafford is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutant Pony View Post
I have seen new rotors warped right out of the box but, it is rare. I've seen rotors warp quickly after turning out a warp more often. Put new rotors on it. They are fairly inexpensive.
Also, Keep your foot off the brake pedal unless you need it. Use the engine to slow you down.
I downshift everytime I stop. I've tried not doing it, but it feels like I am missing something when I don't do it.
1989 Bronco II, 2.9L, Manual Trans and T-case, Manual hubs | 2004 Tahoe Z71, 5.3L 4L60E, AutoTrac 4WD, Leather, Bose, DVD, Loaded | 2009 Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison Crew Cab Long Bed 5" MBRP Straight Pipe, EFI Live Tuned by Longhorn Fab Shop.
Old 05-15-2008, 08:37 PM   #5
MAKG
RBV Technical Advisor

Vehicle Year: 1991
Vehicle Model: Explorer
MAKG will become famous soon enough

Two possibilities come to mind:

1. Mildly sticky calipers or master cylinder is dragging the brakes. If this is an issue, the rotor will look blue right outside the friction zone. It takes VERY little dragging to do this; it may not be noticeable in vehicle performance.

2. Near-minimum rotor thickness. This one is real fun, as putting a dial indicator on a cool rotor will yield acceptable runout, but a warp will develop when the rotor gets hot. The problem is just insufficient thermal mass; the fix is to replace the rotor.

1990 VW Jetta GL, 1.8L 8V gasoline engine, manual transmission, painted in oxidized red paint and ponderosa pine sap, unknown mileage.

1991 Exploder, 4.0L, M5OD-R1 manual transmission, electronic BW1354 transfer case, 3.54 gears, 31 inch tires, icky two-tone blue paint with little clear coat, 230K miles.

1972 Chevy C-10, 250 I-6, SM465 (2WD) four-on-the-floor, 3.73 gears in a GM 12-bolt, puke green with a white cab. The "4 wheeled trash can," with x70K miles. x is probably 2.
MAKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 08:55 PM   #6
Jspafford

Well when I had the rotors turned the last time I could not get the pedal pressure back. I am sure you remember that thread. I capped off the MC and found it to be the front brakes causing the squishy pedal.

Long story short, both calipers are brand new.

I will tear into it this weekend. Right now I am replacing the bumper and rock shield.

I hate the damned bolts ford uses to attach the bumpers....especially when the spot welds break and the bolt heads spin.
Old 05-15-2008, 08:55 PM   #7
canyoncritter

Vehicle Year: 1952,1991,1992
Vehicle Make: Willys,Ford,Jee
Vehicle Model: wagon,ranger 4x4,cheroke
canyoncritter is on a distinguished road

Cant say I have ever had a "problem" with the rotors on rangers warping unless they were getting thin or a calibur/slide was sticking and causing a the pads to drag a bit.

kragen/vato zone, many moe and jerk off mid grade rotors.

the super el cheap-o's I have had problems with warping.

dont happen to run cermaic pads?

and your new calipurs, are they the plastic or metal pistons?....have had the plastic ones wedge them selfs before in the bore and stick

Last edited by canyoncritter; 05-15-2008 at 08:58 PM.
canyoncritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 07:21 PM   #8
AllanD
RBV Technical Advisor

Vehicle Year: 1987... sorta
Vehicle Model: Ranger Supercab
I use this vehicle for: Roadtrip Warrior
AllanD has much to be proud ofAllanD has much to be proud ofAllanD has much to be proud ofAllanD has much to be proud ofAllanD has much to be proud ofAllanD has much to be proud ofAllanD has much to be proud ofAllanD has much to be proud ofAllanD has much to be proud of

Worn thrust surfaces on the steering knuckle can cause the inboard brake pad to be "cammed" into contact with the rotor and will cause the inner pad to stay partially engaged after the caliper releases....

You can check for this by pulling the caliper and pads and running your finger across the groove that the "tab" on the inner pad rides in.

compare the condition of the lower one (usually unworn) to the upper (usually trashed)

the best "fix" for the problem is to swap in a '95-97 Dana 35 front axle
which uses a the two piston calipers from the '95-up Explorer
which mount via a BOLT ON caliper bracket.

AD
AllanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 08:04 PM   #9
Jspafford

I've not looked into it yet. Now that i've sold the F-250 I don't have another vehicle to drive while I have it torn down.

The new calipers do not have plastic pistons.
Old 05-26-2008, 08:12 PM   #10
mjonesjr
I dance with the Devil...

mjonesjr is on a distinguished road

I have seen new rotors warp because they were hot and someone hit a puddle and splashed them.

I would slap on new rotors.
Or I will stand here and die!

All men are created equal, then a few become firemen.

Support Our Troops!

mjonesjr is offline   Reply With Quote