• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4.0L swap question

HGI

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2nd gen
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Since everyone loves photos here are my trucks.

On the left is my 1992 with a 4.0L from a 94 explore.
Spent a lot of time changing the axels and modding this truck, and she has served me well for the 15years I've owned her.

On the right is my newly acquired 1987 that currently has a 2.9L
Truck has meaty full size axels with 5:12 gearing and long arm suspension so it was a huge score and upgrade.

My question is will I be able to drop the 4.0L into the 87 and plug in the wiring harness or will I have to bring the dash harness and computer as well?

I've already pulled the 4.0L so I was able to clean it up and replace some gaskets while it's out. The 1992 originally had a 4cylder and tracking down a working computer and dash harness when I did the original swap was a huge head pain. Both trucks work so I'm not considered about tracking wires and computers again, just thought I'd ask if anyone here would be able to provide a strait answer and possibly give me any heads up if I should expect any other issues.

Thanks a bunch.
:icon_hornsup:

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
It's only plug and play if the dash goes with it...

HGI

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2nd gen
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks, that's what I was thinking, the downside is I really like the dash that's in the 87, that's also in much better shape than mine so it's looking like I'm gonna have to rewire it with the 92/94 dash harness.

:(

Thanks for the heads up.

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
The wiring isn't hard. In my case everything but one wire matched up color wise..

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Yeah, the wiring isn't hard at all. I think I did things the hardest way possible and repinned a gen 2 harness to plug into my 87 dash. There are lots of ways to do it though.

HGI

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2nd gen
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the input,

I'm just waiting for a few parts to show up then some free time to work on it, hoping if I don't find more things that need replacing I should have it all done by next weekend.

I was thinking of dropping the 2.9 in the black truck then selling it since it has the big front and rear axles but since the new truck has zero box room because the fuel tank and spare tire are in there I'm thinking of cutting the black truck in half and making the box into a trailer. I probably won't get much $$ for the black truck anyways. This way I can keep the tranny and tcase for spares and have a strong trailer for hauling when needed.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals