• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

I have a bad feeling I'm gonna have to scrap my truck.

Purple

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
So I ordered a prothane bushing kit for my 1994 ranger.

The kit came without any hardware.

I called prothane and they told me to buy it from LMC.

LMC would be almost $150 just for the hardware.

I found another site, but it would still be $70.

That's a highway robbery price, for no more than a few bolts, sleeve bushings, and nuts.

But I can't find anything even similar around here.

I have a budget for this truck, and $70 for hardware is ridiculous.

traacer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I just went to tractor supply and got some 1/2" grade 8 bolts, washers and locknuts....all said it was about $20

Purple

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Ya...but there has to be a sleeve inside the bushing, otherwise there is about 3/8" of open area on the inside.

jco77on

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Automatic
I got my hardware from James Duff. I can't remember exactly what it was, but I think I ended up paying around $70. I don't see the kit listed on their site now. Just one of those where I'll try not to think about it and enjoy having new body mount bushings after the job's done. I got a Prothane bushing kit as well.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I just went through this too. The hardware is pricey. I ended up just getting the lower nut/washer pieces from LMC. Most of my bolts were fine, I did have to replace the rear bolts due to some length issues after I was done "patching" my mount brackets. I just drilled out the nuts on the washers, did the 1/2" grade 8s, and double nutted the bolt at the bottom. It's hinky, but it's working.

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
When I replaced the shackles on my leaf springs I used... pipe. As in plumbing isle at Home Depot. The old sleeve came out with the bolt so there was no re-using it. I can't fathom what it looks like now, but it's been 8 years and it hasn't fallen off... yet.

dirtcowboy

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985,1986(2),19
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.9, 4.6, 4.0, 6.8, 5.0x4
Transmission
Automatic
http://www.dufftuff.com/Body_Mount_Hardware_Bronco_II_p/6394-hdwr.htm

I bought a length of 1" OD aluminum tubing with a 1/2" ID hole from onlinemetals.com. I cut the tubing to fit and bought new 1/2" grade 8 bolts, nyloc nuts and sae washers. I put a light coat of never sieze on the bolts. The poly body mounts are in 3 different lengths, depending on where on the body they are located. ( THIS WAS ON MY BRONCO II's ! )

Last edited:

Purple

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I found a site online, got 2 feet of 1" OD x 1/2" ID tubing for 23 shipped. Gonna cut that to fit.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
From reading this I'm assuming...of course...that the sleeve is not a support for anything other than to keep the poly body mounts away from the bolt???

My hardware was pretty much shot after only 10 years of relatively light service...meaning I only splashed through a few thousand miles of road salt slush since replacing them...

shortzt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I used 1/2 schedule 80 black pipe? I'll look when I get home cut it to length and then bought some washers from the hardware, a couple I had to weld a washer inside a washer to get what I needed but I think I had like $10 in id

dirtcowboy

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985,1986(2),19
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.9, 4.6, 4.0, 6.8, 5.0x4
Transmission
Automatic
From reading this I'm assuming...of course...that the sleeve is not a support for anything other than to keep the poly body mounts away from the bolt???

My hardware was pretty much shot after only 10 years of relatively light service...meaning I only splashed through a few thousand miles of road salt slush since replacing them...
My belief was that with the "bushing" the poly mount stayed centered thru the body mount. I didn't like the idea of a 1/2" bolt doing all of the work, so to speak. Daystar said that the "bushing" wasn't necessary, but for my own peace of mind it was cheap insurance.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
My belief was that with the "bushing" the poly mount stayed centered thru the body mount. I didn't like the idea of a 1/2" bolt doing all of the work, so to speak. Daystar said that the "bushing" wasn't necessary, but for my own peace of mind it was cheap insurance.
Yeah, that makes sense that it provides a bit of stability. The OEM mounts also had metal imbedded in the rubber or whatever material was used by them. When these rusted out they pretty much destabilized the body...even though it probably would have lasted another five years or so...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals