• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

5R55E No Gears

creamerj

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
So I've been doing a frame off rebuild of a 98 4.0 4X4 and im almost finished. Got the truck put back together and fired the motor up for the first time lasy weekend. After chasing an electrical issue for a day, she's purring like kitten. Awesome, Im on top of the world. Do one last once over of the truck and put it in gear, moves a few inches then nothing. This happens in all forward gears. Reverse works though. Go over in my head everything I did (I rebuilt the transmission last summer) and wonder if I remembered to torque the bands down. Nope, sure didn't. I tighten them down to specs and try again. No gears at all including reverse. I'm completely dumbfounded. This is my second transmission I've rebuilt and am 99% sure everything is correct. It has a new valvebody that came with servos. Anybody have any ideas or direction to give? Really don't want to take it to a shop as I dont really have the money. I'm sure someone will mention a pressure check but I dont have a gauge for that today. I did pull the supply line for the radiator and bumped the key and she is definitely pumping fluid though.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Having Reverse(requiring highest pressure) and then adjusting bands and having no reverse is puzzling.

I assume you have installed an automatic before so know about seating the torque converter into the transmission's front(main) pump before installing transmission on to the engine.

No gears is either failed front pump or torque converter isn't working at all to transfer rpms
Maybe you can rent pressure gauge

Last edited:

creamerj

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
So I ran a pressure check today (after forcing myself to just not think about it for a couple of weeks): at idle all were within range except for D and N which were 10 and 15psi low consecutively. Wide open throttle was another story. R had good pressure, all forward gears were basically nonexistent. In other words in any forward gear, psi would barely increase when throttle was applied. I'm thinking torque converter but I'm not a transmission tech. Thoughts?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals