• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

TDI Ranger Build

greengeeker

Firefighter
Reaction score
Engine Size
1.9L
Transmission
Manual
Any updates? Don't leave us hanging, we want to know how much power it has.
haha, sorry bout that. Been out of the country for work.

I haven't made it to the dyno just yet but will in the next few weeks.

Intial impressions with the nozzles and tune:
1) Very nice improvement in power throughout the power band. I'd say I picked up at least 10hp throughout the entire range and 20-30ft lbs.
2) Smoke is tolerable (if not a little enjoyable says the little devil on my shoulder). If I goose it I can get a decent puff of smoke...you know, reminding others that this isn't your average Ranger. :icon_thumby:
3) I can slip the clutch if I stomp on it below 2000rpm. Need some recommendations here as it won't do me any good to take the next step in power adders if I can't put the power to the ground.
4) After going with the 3.08 axle swap I was a little worried I went with too tall of gears, especially when towing. Well with the increased power this is not a problem. I recently towed another Golf (3200lb) on a dolly and the towing went just fine. I did have to ride the clutch a little when stopped on some of the steeper hills but nothing abusive.

On another note I'm toying with the idea of doing a 4/5 drop to help with aero. The only reason I haven't done it yet is I have a set of helper bags that I haven't yet installed and I have a sneaking suspicion that they won't work if I do the drop. Not only that but I'll have to go buy and even bigger offset hitch to mount upside down.

chucky2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC V-6
Transmission
Automatic
Did you keep the same gas mileage or did it go down?

chucky2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC V-6
Transmission
Automatic
<weeps when comparing that to the 18-19 I get in my 4.10 auto 4x4 w/ 31's...>

Exenos

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
What sort of mileage do you get in your jetta greengeeker?

greengeeker

Firefighter
Reaction score
Engine Size
1.9L
Transmission
Manual
<weeps when comparing that to the 18-19 I get in my 4.10 auto 4x4 w/ 31's...>
Not that bad considering. I could barely crack 17mpg with my 4x4 94 b4000.

What sort of mileage do you get in your jetta greengeeker?
Over 190k miles my lifetime average is just over 50mpg. Summer months are steady at 52mpg and winter months in MN dips down to 48. Best tank I've ever logged was 58 and best trip was a recent drive back from eastern wi which netted me 67mpg (20mph tail wind).

greengeeker

Firefighter
Reaction score
Engine Size
1.9L
Transmission
Manual
1 year update

I finished the truck as a Father's Day present to myself in 2013 so I've just surpassed the 1 year mark.

I've been very happy with the results of the swap. Every time I get in the truck I enjoy the work and time I put into the effort. I've been keeping track of every drop of diesel put in the truck and at just under 10k miles I'm averaging exactly 38mpg and keep in mind I've used this truck as a truck.

Only a couple issues so far with the swap:
1) Only electrical "gremlin" was laughable when I forgot to tighten down the little nut on the fuel shutoff solenoid.
2) The truck is running a little hotter coolant temps than I anticipated. I'm not sure if it has to do with the design of my cooling system, pump cavitation, or clogged core from the wrecker yard car. All I know is there is no way I can hook up my a/c system with the coolant running as hot as it is - would only exacerbate the issue.

Minor non-swap related issues:
1) my non-oem coolant flange on the end of the head is warped slightly and leaks small amounts of coolant
2) back edge of my valve cover weeps a little oil
3) As soon as I installed my r520 nozzles I have been having an issue with leaking return hoses when I do hard WOT pulls
4) my driver's side inner tie rod is SHOT. Need to replace that guy asap.

Or course I need to get going on stage 4 (gtb2056, 11mm IP, retune) so I can have some more fun. :icon_bounceblue:

Exenos

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
How much of a mileage loss do you feel you would have had if you had kept the 3.73's or went with 3.27's instead of the 3.08?s

greengeeker

Firefighter
Reaction score
Engine Size
1.9L
Transmission
Manual
How much of a mileage loss do you feel you would have had if you had kept the 3.73's or went with 3.27's instead of the 3.08?s
In my current configuration I don't think I gained any mileage with the taller gears. I'm pretty sure my aerodynamic drag is outweighing anything the gearing might do. Honestly I've been thinking about picking up an explorer 3.27 rear with disc brakes as I'm not all that satisfied with the braking performance of the truck.

Exenos

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
In my current configuration I don't think I gained any mileage with the taller gears. I'm pretty sure my aerodynamic drag is outweighing anything the gearing might do. Honestly I've been thinking about picking up an explorer 3.27 rear with disc brakes as I'm not all that satisfied with the braking performance of the truck.
Good to know, guess that means that I can keep my 3.42's without worrying over the lost mileage.

Exenos

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Is there any real benefit to integrating the VW harness into the ranger harness instead of just striping it down to a simple stand alone harness? I'm about to start cutting into my 99 AHU harness and am undecided as to how I want to go about it.

greengeeker

Firefighter
Reaction score
Engine Size
1.9L
Transmission
Manual
Is there any real benefit to integrating the VW harness into the ranger harness instead of just striping it down to a simple stand alone harness? I'm about to start cutting into my 99 AHU harness and am undecided as to how I want to go about it.
Sorry - missed your post.

Even if you take it down to a stand alone harness you will still need to provide the appropriate grounds or 12v, etc. For me the easiest most weatherproof way to do this was to integrate into the signals already provided by the ford harness. It takes a little extra research/planning but in the end it makes your job easier.

greengeeker

Firefighter
Reaction score
Engine Size
1.9L
Transmission
Manual
Woohoo! 40mpg!

Last four tanks: (miles/gal: MPG)
715.4 /18.187 = 39.3
710.8 /18.035 = 39.4
977.2 /24.375 = 40.1
753.1 /18.244 = 41.3

New goal is to get an 800 mile tank on this bad boy. :icon_bounceblue:

chucky2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC V-6
Transmission
Automatic
One can only wonder what Ranger sales would have been with their 2.5L diesel offered throughout the rest of the world. Or their 2.2, or whatever. How many people would have loved a 40mpg real world truck back in the gas crunch days?

greengeeker

Firefighter
Reaction score
Engine Size
1.9L
Transmission
Manual
Not to mention these motors will go at least 500k miles. I've had several apart with over 400k still showing a perfect cross hatch and zero ridge. Motor in my truck just crossed 300k :icon_thumby:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals