• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Harmonic balancer seal 4.0 ohv

cdxhizors

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
Ok I lied. I messed with it today.. All 3 ford seals could be pushed straight in by hand with a little motor oil to lube it up. The most expensive national seal @14.99 fit like normal. Those ford seals cost 40 before tax. What gives?

jeremysdad

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Dealer's don't verify whether you have the correct timing cover for your year model. They give you the part for what originally came in the vehicle.

Thus the recommendations to take the seal/cover with you.

AndyB.

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
How deeply did you install the new seal? The Ford tool sets it about 7/16" below flush. I'm assuming the National seal had a metal exterior that gets deformed as the seal is installed and the Ford seal had a ridged, rubber outer ring. It might be the hole in the front cover is tapered and the seal tightens as it is installed to the proper depth.

I've only installed seals with the Ford tool, the forcing screw doesn't take much force at all to seat the seal.

cdxhizors

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
How deeply did you install the new seal? The Ford tool sets it about 7/16" below flush. I'm assuming the National seal had a metal exterior that gets deformed as the seal is installed and the Ford seal had a ridged, rubber outer ring. It might be the hole in the front cover is tapered and the seal tightens as it is installed to the proper depth.

I've only installed seals with the Ford tool, the forcing screw doesn't take much force at all to seat the seal.
The old seal left a ridge of dirt.. I left that ridge and pushed the seal up to it. I cleaned everything up to that ridge though.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals