• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

01 2.3 Paylaod Capacity

jaynine89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L I-4
Transmission
Manual
Hey, all.

Just wondering if someone out there knows what the payload capacity in the bed is for my 2.3L 2wd regular cab shortbox Ranger is. 5-speed manual. I've tried looking at various websites and can't pin down a number.

The reason I ask and the reason it's "urgent" is because my dad wants to haul some edge stone from Menards before a sale ends and I'm not sure how much I can haul at a time. I'd also like to know what the max I can bumper tow would be, if anybody knows. I know the GVWR on the rear end says 2550, but I'm not sure how much the back of the truck weighs.

Thanks in advance.

Jayson

1993rangerxl

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4 banger 2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Put "helper" springs on my'93 and have had as much as 3600lbs. I wouldn't recommend that much. I think stock is about 1200-1400lbs. Air up those rear tires!!! Will want to wander badly because steering geometry will be off with that much weight. Check your tires for max inflation and air them up. Otherwise will squirm with the weight also build heat quickly.

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
About 1000lb in the bed. You will feel the weight that's for sure.

I've had about 1500lb in cargo and passengers and drove 40miles no problem over some hills.

Trailer towing I've had about 1500lb and didn't notice any funny handling.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2001 2WD regular cab payload weight is 1,260lbs
Towing for same with 2.3l and manual trans is 1,640lbs(combined trailer and load weight)

Curb weight is 3,000lbs(vehicle weight with no one in it)
Maximum weight including driver/passengers and payload is 4,700lbs
So 3,000lbs(ranger) + 400lbs(driver and passenger) + 1,200lbs(payload) = 4,600lbs

Maximum overall weight including driver/passengers, payload and trailer is 4,800lbs
So 3,000lbs(ranger) + 200lbs(driver) + 1,500lbs(trailer) = 4,700lbs, that only leaves 100lbs for payload or passenger

If the distance to travel is not too far I often rent a Uhaul truck to haul heavy loads, $20-$30 for the day, the mileage is what makes it expensive.
And the box vans have the low floor and ramp to dolly stuff on and off.
Check with your insurance company, most cover you when renting a vehicle, so you can avoid the "other" cost.

Last edited:

Kowboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
I've hauled 15 - 80 lb. bags of concrete a few times and my 2WD truck has the option that gives me the ride height of a 4WD truck. That's 1200 lbs. I couldn't imagine putting too much more in the bed of it. The road conditions you'll travel and highway speeds will also be something to consider. What are your tires rated for and what are their condition.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals