• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Replacing all three parking brake cables

Johann2326

Reaction score
Wondering how much trouble it is to replace all three parking brake cables in my 95 ford ranger, it's an extended cab so 125" wheelbase.
Only have a basic socket set along with pliers screwdrivers etc.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Brake cables are annoying to replace, but not overly difficult. You do have to tear the drum brakes apart in the back, so you'll need a jack, jack stand, lug nut wrench and brake spring tools. In theory you could use the stock jack and lug wrench if they're still in the truck, but I highly recommend a jack stand for safety, I had a truck come off a jack before. Got lucky and didn't hurt anything but my pride. Worst part was that I had a jack stand and was being lazy.

Sent from my kite using a trebuchet

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
The brake spring tool is a great help and doesn't cost much.

Always chock your wheels when jacking the vehicle so it won't roll of the jack. Don't assume it won't go just because the ground looks level. Jacking the vehicle changes the center of gravity and it can (and will) roll. Jack stands should be used whenever possible. It's a safety thing. What costs more? $20 or $30 for a pair of jack stands? Or an ambulance ride to the emergency room, lost time from work, etc.

I would recommend taking picture of how everything is connected and mounted, especially where the 3 cables join together. It makes it a lot easier to re-assemble.

Johann2326

Reaction score
Not to sound cocky but rather my lack of better words, but I think you guys are underestimating my mechanic ability, I work at a shop and I'm a trained mechanic.
Was just wondering if this was especially a pain in the ass to do specifically on the ranger or just a regular pain in the ass like on other cars. So far working on it has proved easy enough, as this is my first vehicle that I own that's American.
And one of the first American cars im working on.
I live in Iceland so there's very little American vehicles here

unworldlyalex

Reaction score
Not to sound cocky but rather my lack of better words, but I think you guys are underestimating my mechanic ability, I work at a shop and I'm a trained mechanic.
Was just wondering if this was especially a pain in the ass to do specifically on the ranger or just a regular pain in the ass like on other cars. So far working on it has proved easy enough, as this is my first vehicle that I own that's American.
And one of the first American cars im working on.
I live in Iceland so there's very little American vehicles here

From the OP, you're asking a question that's fairly simple, and you stating that you only had a limited amount of tools makes it seem like you are new to wrenching. If you're a trained mechanic, you should know that you pretty much need to tear down the drums to the backing plate to remove the cable. In short, it's no more difficult than any other drum brake work.

Johann2326

Reaction score
Alright thank you for the answers, I apologize for the misunderstanding, I sometimes have trouble putting my thoughts into words especially in English.

ericbphoto

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
I didn't mean to put you down. As stated above, your original post didn't give us that information. For an experienced mechanic It's an irritating but simple job.

Eric B

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
From the OP, you're asking a question that's fairly simple, and you stating that you only had a limited amount of tools makes it seem like you are new to wrenching. If you're a trained mechanic, you should know that you pretty much need to tear down the drums to the backing plate to remove the cable. In short, it's no more difficult than any other drum brake work.
You don't need to tear the brake shoes down. You do need to remove the drums.
(Edit: there are 3 cables for 97 and under and 4 cable on 1998 and up.)

There are 4 cables in total for 1998 and up.

1) release the tension on the ebrake (there is a trick to this, figure this out before you start)

2) cut the cables off. Cut right where they come out of the backing plate.

3) remove the drums. Then remove the remaining cable. You can fish the new cable in easily. Reinstall drums.

4) connect everything all back. It's a little tough connecting the final cables together.

5) release the tension at the ebrake mechanism.

I've done this to 4 or 5 Rangers. Sometimes I replace all 4 cables and sometimes I replace the 2 rears and intermediate. The 2 rears are usually the issue in states with salt and snow.

If your Brakes are locking up when it's raining out it's usually the rear ebrake cables.
Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ericbphoto

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
Thanks for the technique. I'll try that next time if I'm not trying to save the old cables.

Eric B

Norbert

EMT / Paramedic
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Old thread but right now i'm changing the 2 main rear cables of my parking break and is a pain . I buy the cables at "A1 parts.com" they warrantee exact fitment.Before install the cables i measure the old with the new ones and appear the same size ., i installed both cables in the drums ,easy to me but when i try to attach the cable barrel is falling short of meeting the front cable barrel there are about 3 inches of distance between cables.
...So this is the next thing to do.A friend in other forums do this.

Attachments

Last edited:

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Old thread but right now i'm changing the 2 main rear cables of my parking break and is a pain . I buy the cables at "A1 parts.com" they warrantee exact fitment.Before install the cables i measure the old with the new ones and appear the same size ., i installed both cables in the drums ,easy to me but when i try to attach the cable barrel is falling short of meeting the front cable barrel there are about 3 inches of distance between cables.
...So this is the next thing to do.A friend in other forums do this.

Did you run your parking brake adjusters all the way in before trying to connect the cables? Also, it's going to sound like I'm calling you dumb but that is not my intention, did you make sure the parking brake pedal was released and not depressed at all?

Parking brake cables are indeed a huge pain. Even just routing through and around everything just a little bit wrong makes a huge difference.

Norbert

EMT / Paramedic
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Ok, "Parking Brake adjuster", the dent wheel in the drums? yes is adjusted as the lowest possible. ..the picture i posted was by another member in other forum that use this method i'm thinking using this tool i found (Look at the picture)i think that i will use it is there's no another way.

Attachments

Last edited:

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Ok, "Parking Brake adjuster", the dent wheel in the drums? yes is adjusted as the lowest possible. ..the picture i posted was by another member in other forum that use this method i'm thinking using this tool i found (Look at the picture)i think that i will use it is there's no another way.
I'm a bit torn between that and one with a closed center. I'm not sure which would be better. The open one is less likely to trap moisture and freeze (and possibly split) but the threads are exposed to the elements and splash from the tire in front of it. Given that it really shouldn't need to be messed with once it's adjusted, it's probably six of one, half dozen of the other. All the adjustment, once it is set, should be with the automatic adjusters in the parking brake mechanism.

Norbert

EMT / Paramedic
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Both techniques are inexpensive you can use the one that best suits you.
This is my final work but still needs more adjustment.

Attachments

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals