• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

greasefittn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
don't know where to start here goes I have a 2000 4wd ranger with a swapped in 3-53 Detroit nv4500 5spd and 373 gears 265 15 tires it has been ok running 23-25mpg plenty of power, however the rear doesn't like the little three cylinder Detroit .I have burned up two of the 8.8 3.73 ones in 16k miles the last one got fresh bearings,and syn oil but it came apart today at 70mph ?!! The next one is getting 90-140 oil with a bigger cover I guess the diesel is hurting it around town when you cant tell

chewy012

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
Don't know a lot about axles, but the front is unquestionably stout. Is it the stock Ranger 8.8? May be too small?

What in the axle is failing? I'm curious and would like to learn, so if you figure out the what and the why I'd be interested to hear it.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

greasefittn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
ranger 8.8 rear

ok I picked up a exployer 8.8 at the local pick and pull yesterday found a "D4" limited slip for $140 complete I'm in the process of moving the purches to the other side and getting new u bolts easy job so far installing new bearings and call it good I will let you know how it works ps it's one inch wider than the ranger rear but the spring purches are in the same place ,just on the wrong side

greasefittn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
the last one lost the front pinion bearing and spun the race and made a mess of the case . when I put in the last set of pinion bearings I used a new crush sleve also

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals