Home Discussion Forum Tech Articles Other Articles Featured Rides Readers Rides Classifieds Shirts & Decals Parts Store

Ford Ranger Discussion Forum

Off-Road Truck Of The Month

'AgPete139'
September 2014 OTOTM

Mini Truck Of The Month

'alexp11'
September 2014 MTOTM

Go Back   The Ranger Station Forums > Styling & Electrical > Misc Electrical & Gauges

Misc Electrical & Gauges Post your speedometer, gauges, interior and non audio/video questions here.

Old 04-03-2011, 07:41 PM   #1
Noyz81

Vehicle Year: 1999
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger
I use this vehicle for: nothing yet, blown engine
Noyz81 is on a distinguished road
Default bypassing PATS in my '99 Ranger?

I was wondering if anyone has ever bypassed the PATS system in a Ranger before? I'm having a difficult time spending a couple hundred dollars on one key for a Ranger that I recently purchased. If it's possible, I'd rather remove the lock and cylinder from the steering column and relocate it under the dash, with the one key I do have in it, and install several toggle switches on the dash for the accesories, starter, etc. and purchase $2 keys for entry to the vehicle. I'd appreciate any feedback anyone has or any other ideas.
Noyz81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Forum Notices (Not shown to 'Premium Members')

Reminder:

We're looking for participants to help move our banner from Alaska to Florida: Click HERE.

Click HERE to see the banner map.

Want to become a Premium Member & not see these notices? Click HERE.

Want your truck considered for Truck Of The Month? Click HERE.

Don't forget to vote!

Old 04-03-2011, 11:38 PM   #2
trail B2

Vehicle Year: 1986
Vehicle Make: ford
Vehicle Model: bronco 2
I use this vehicle for: 4x4 and DD
trail B2 will become famous soon enough

I've read some Taurus guys tape the good key on the inside of the steering column then use copies to actually turn the ignition.I couldn't make it work on my Taurus but it's worth a try.
Old 04-03-2011, 11:59 PM   #3
bilzy7

Vehicle Year: 1998
Vehicle Model: Explorer
I use this vehicle for: daily driving, fun in the snow
bilzy7 is a glorious beacon of lightbilzy7 is a glorious beacon of lightbilzy7 is a glorious beacon of lightbilzy7 is a glorious beacon of lightbilzy7 is a glorious beacon of light

doesnt work for me as i have a plain key for my locks, and a pats key for my ignition. no matter where i put key it will not let me turn ignition with plain key. 100+? home depot would make me a key for 80 bucks where are you going dealership? jeeese... thats ridiculous my nissan altimas keyfob was 250 but i mean... its a key fob..
but ya keys can be expensive... my brother in laws 800 dollar scooter they wanted 250 to make a new key since he lost ALL of his... but thats his fault.

http://www.therangerstation.com/foru...d.php?t=103611 <--- My Slow Build
bilzy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 11:14 PM   #4
bttlscrs00x

Vehicle Year: 1993
I use this vehicle for: garage decoration
bttlscrs00x is a splendid one to beholdbttlscrs00x is a splendid one to beholdbttlscrs00x is a splendid one to beholdbttlscrs00x is a splendid one to beholdbttlscrs00x is a splendid one to beholdbttlscrs00x is a splendid one to beholdbttlscrs00x is a splendid one to behold

I'm from Barrington... Where is it you're going that it's costing you a couple hundred??? I got a replacement key for my 00 Explorer about 5 years ago and it was $40

It is our duty still to endeavor to avoid war; but if it shall actually take place,
no matter by whom brought on, we must defend ourselves. --Thomas Jefferson
bttlscrs00x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 01:30 AM   #5
Noyz81

Vehicle Year: 1999
I use this vehicle for: nothing yet, blown engine
Noyz81 is on a distinguished road
Default PATS key bypass

The local Ace Hardware was $80 for a replacement key and they thought that $80 was about half the price of a Ford dealership key. I went on ebay and bought a PATS key for $10.50, with shipping, but Ace couldn't get it to accept the code from my original key. They thought that it would only work if I programmed it in the vehicle using two already programmed keys before that one. I would be scepticle but I know the employee that was assisting me is a family friend. Today I took the column apart, which was actually pretty easy, and got the PATS part off the ignition and relocated it under the dash. So after I get the engine reinstalled and put this little project to the test I will definitly be posting my findings, especially if it works.
Noyz81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 01:49 AM   #6
--weezl--
June 2011 OTOTM Winner

Vehicle Year: 2007
Vehicle Model: Ranger FX4 Level II
I use this vehicle for: stealing candy from babies, and sometimes driving to work
--weezl-- has a reputation beyond repute--weezl-- has a reputation beyond repute--weezl-- has a reputation beyond repute--weezl-- has a reputation beyond repute--weezl-- has a reputation beyond repute--weezl-- has a reputation beyond repute--weezl-- has a reputation beyond repute--weezl-- has a reputation beyond repute--weezl-- has a reputation beyond repute--weezl-- has a reputation beyond repute--weezl-- has a reputation beyond repute

it is possible to relocate it all, and just use a key hidden to bypass it... the internet keys WILL work, however, like your family friend said, ford requires 2 good keys for programming, which is a reason i would recommend anyone who has a pats vehicle, with this style of programming, to keep 3 keys, incase one gets lost...

you CAN go to the dealership with 1 key, and a second and have them program it, though i don't know what they would charge for that...

the pats system on my truck (07 ranger) can learn up to 11 keys, i believe it is, and once that's full, you have to get the computer wiped and re-learn the keys you have... it also doesn't matter what 2 keys, out of the several you have, that you use to program the new key...

the pats system that is on my truck, learns to recognize the specific key, and does not program the key to be what the truck is looking for... though i have heard there is a way to "clone" a key, essentially, if you were to think about it this way, your key is an RF transmitter, and transmits on a specific frequency, all keys are on different frequencies, and the truck needs to know what specific frequencies to look for keys on... and by cloning a key, you would be making a second key transmit on the exact same frequency as one that already exists

of course they key it's self isn't an rf transmitter, as that would take a power source, that's just an analogy to help you understand how it works
Quote:
Originally Posted by multiranger View Post
I asked my girlfriend to measure it for me.. It's only an inch
check out my build thread
--weezl-- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 10:24 AM   #7
bttlscrs00x

Vehicle Year: 1993
I use this vehicle for: garage decoration
bttlscrs00x is a splendid one to beholdbttlscrs00x is a splendid one to beholdbttlscrs00x is a splendid one to beholdbttlscrs00x is a splendid one to beholdbttlscrs00x is a splendid one to beholdbttlscrs00x is a splendid one to beholdbttlscrs00x is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noyz81 View Post
The local Ace Hardware was $80 for a replacement key and they thought that $80 was about half the price of a Ford dealership key. I went on ebay and bought a PATS key for $10.50, with shipping, but Ace couldn't get it to accept the code from my original key. They thought that it would only work if I programmed it in the vehicle using two already programmed keys before that one. I would be scepticle but I know the employee that was assisting me is a family friend. Today I took the column apart, which was actually pretty easy, and got the PATS part off the ignition and relocated it under the dash. So after I get the engine reinstalled and put this little project to the test I will definitly be posting my findings, especially if it works.
Quote:
Originally Posted by --weezl-- View Post
you CAN go to the dealership with 1 key, and a second and have them program it, though i don't know what they would charge for that...
This is what they did I think.. I don't exactly remember as it was my old truck and the key was only so I could get the chip for my remote start.

Noyz-- If it doesn't work, call Wickstrom Ford in Barrington. I've been going to them for YEARS and they've always helped me out.

It is our duty still to endeavor to avoid war; but if it shall actually take place,
no matter by whom brought on, we must defend ourselves. --Thomas Jefferson
bttlscrs00x is offline   Reply With Quote