Home Discussion Forum Tech Articles Other Articles Featured Rides Readers Rides Classifieds Shirts & Decals Parts Store

Ford Ranger Discussion Forum

Off-Road Truck Of The Month

'Kona'
June 2014 OTOTM

Mini Truck Of The Month

'Dazzlin' Dave'
June 2014 MTOTM

Old 07-05-2011, 06:46 PM   #1

Vehicle Year: 1993
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger
I use this vehicle for: Future daily driver
5.0 will become famous soon enough
Default 460 swap

Hopefully I can start my 460/C6 swap into my '93 this week.

I have two 460 motors, one than runs from a '70 Lincoln and the other that doesn't run from a '69 Lincoln. I bought the '69 motor mostly because of the complete FEAD on it. It has a short style water pump (there is no crank pulley, the belts ride in the balancer) and the crankshaft mounted power steering pump that I'm thinking about trying to use. The '70 has alternator and power steering brackets on it, but they are from another engine family and the belts don't line up perfectly like I want, but I may be able to get them to work. Another option is to sell the FEAD and timing cover from the '69 (big $$$ from what I've read) and use that money to buy the right brackets for the 460 and use the standard power steering pump.

I brought my C6 to the transmission shop and he emptied the case for me. It's a lot easier lifting an empty case into place for the mock up than a full one, especially since I may need to do it several times.

The plan is to get the motor mounts done using the empty transmission case, then bring the case back to the transmission shop for him to rebuild it. Then paint the motor and swap a cam in it and throw a Stealth intake on top.

Anyway, here's a few pics of the trans and the '69 motor to look at for no productive reasons whatsoever...

5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Forum Notices (Not shown to 'Premium Members')

Reminder:

We're looking for participants to help move our banner from Alaska to Florida: Click HERE.

Click HERE to see the banner map.

Want to become a Premium Member & not see these notices? Click HERE.

Want your truck considered for Truck Of The Month? Click HERE.

Don't forget to vote!

Old 07-05-2011, 08:05 PM   #2
bobbywalter
RBV Technical Advisor

Vehicle Year: 1988
Vehicle Make: FORD
Vehicle Model: RANGERISH SORT OF THING
I use this vehicle for: EVERTHING
bobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to behold

93 2wd wont be too bad to do.

early style dakota racks i have seen fabbed in with the cleveland and 460 type fords.

i suggest a new damper/pulley for the crank though.
88 ranger ext cab low rider 4x4 propelled by 395 cubes of of non turbo SLOBBERIN DIESEL...BLAHHH...motating a 4l80 thats AUTHORITATIVELY turnin a ford 208 spinning 410 open dana 60s and whatever tire suits the mood that day. how ya like me now?
bobbywalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 08:11 PM   #3
RoidedRanger

Vehicle Year: 93
I use this vehicle for: street with some mild offroad use
RoidedRanger will become famous soon enough

good luck man its a TIGHT sqeeze. luckily i hav a bed mounted radiator because even with it out i still hav to turn the motor sideways to get it past the core support and it BARELY goes in. i also had to offset the motor to clear the steering column. glad i went with the 3" body lift that made things a little easier. also headers are a biotch. since im not running mine on the street and just going wiht open headers i ran mine over the frame rails and made fenderwell exit style headers.
Old 07-05-2011, 08:46 PM   #4
bobbywalter
RBV Technical Advisor

Vehicle Year: 1988
Vehicle Make: FORD
Vehicle Model: RANGERISH SORT OF THING
I use this vehicle for: EVERTHING
bobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to behold

i would have to assume modding the core support and inners to be removable as a matter of course

smoothing/back setting the firewall is common as well, this allows easy relocation of the steering shaft and exit to run with whatever steering setup one wants.

custom work no matter what one does.
88 ranger ext cab low rider 4x4 propelled by 395 cubes of of non turbo SLOBBERIN DIESEL...BLAHHH...motating a 4l80 thats AUTHORITATIVELY turnin a ford 208 spinning 410 open dana 60s and whatever tire suits the mood that day. how ya like me now?
bobbywalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 09:07 PM   #5
skx762

Vehicle Year: 1984
I use this vehicle for: DD
skx762 is on a distinguished road

Tilt the front and make it lock in with two pins on the hinges. Run all the wires down the frame and make it QD at the grill. :/

I'm scheming on mine right now since the prior owner started is sort of.

I think I will try two braces from the firewall to the radiator/core support and cut and brace the outer sides of the core support so it holds the inner and outer fenders together and brace across the front grill/hood to hold it all together.

Shake, Rattle, and Roll.

Last edited by skx762; 07-05-2011 at 09:10 PM.
skx762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 09:15 PM   #6
fordmike1

Vehicle Year: 1994 & 1983
fordmike1 is on a distinguished road

[QUOTE=5.0;1061383[/QUOTE]

Is that the power steering pump behind the harmonic damper?
Old 07-06-2011, 07:08 AM   #7
t120r

Vehicle Year: 1992
t120r is on a distinguished road

www.bigblockranger.com I actually have his headers and heater box. Check out his writeup. The swap is a lot easier than most people make it out to be. Plan your fuel system & exhaust carefully. I advise a remote mounted electric water pump as well. Will make things fit much nicer.
t120r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 07:24 AM   #8
RoidedRanger

mine really wasnt that hard to do but i dont hav the aminities that most other people do. ive removed the heater box, radiator, condensor, battery, and almost everything else thats in the engine compartment. my core support is completely stock and unmolested.

instead of trying to fab up motor mountes to use ont he stock crossmember i got a pre-made crossmember for a 460 and cut out the stocker. but then again im not running the stock I-beam front suspension.

think im going to get a mid plate for mine because i dont htink these frames are built to withstand the torque of a BBF, esspecially a modified one with nitrous.
Old 07-06-2011, 02:48 PM   #9

Vehicle Year: 1993
I use this vehicle for: Future daily driver
5.0 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbywalter View Post

i suggest a new damper/pulley for the crank though.
Do you suggest a new damper because of how old it is? How important is a new one? The reason i ask is that they are not easy to find, and would likely be expensive if I would find one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoidedRanger View Post
i still hav to turn the motor sideways to get it past the core support and it BARELY goes in. also headers are a biotch. since im not running mine on the street and just going wiht open headers i ran mine over the frame rails and made fenderwell exit style headers.
Yes it is tight. I was able to twist mine and get it to sit down in there without cutting anything, but I had a front sump oil pan on it at the time and couldn't do anything other than drop it in. Do you have any pics of the headers, either while being built or completed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordmike1 View Post

Is that the power steering pump behind the harmonic damper?
Yes, it slips over the crankshaft and bolts to a special timing cover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by t120r View Post
I advise a remote mounted electric water pump as well. Will make things fit much nicer.
I'd love to have one, but I'm unsure how long they last on a daily driver motor. I'll research it a little and see how long they last compared to a mechanical pump, and your welcome to share your opinion of the dependability of an electric pump on a daily driver as well.

5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 05:14 PM   #10
RoidedRanger

ive had the motor in the truck but upon beak-in it wiped the lobes on the cam and trashed the motor. iv got it out now and waiting on money.

i can take some pics of the headers off the truck if you want.