Home Discussion Forum Tech Articles Other Articles Featured Rides Readers Rides Classifieds Shirts & Decals Parts Store

Ford Ranger Discussion Forum

Off-Road Truck Of The Month

'Kona'
June 2014 OTOTM

Mini Truck Of The Month

'Dazzlin' Dave'
June 2014 MTOTM

Old 01-31-2012, 06:57 PM   #1
renneking

Vehicle Year: 1999
Vehicle Make: ford
Vehicle Model: ranger 3.0 liter V6
I use this vehicle for: driving to and from work 6 days a week about 25 miles round trip. maybe another 30 miles on weekend.
renneking is on a distinguished road
Default overheating!

1999 ranger is overheating. changed thermostat since was cheap,flushed system because coolant looked rusty and did a pressure test which showed no leaks. fan also looks good. getting heat about every other start but no coolant on floor board so not sure about heater core. not even sure if bad heater core can cause overheating? after flushing system doing pressure test and changing oil truck still overheats and now idles very rough as if about to stall. i am clueless, just trying to avoid big mechanic bill so any help would be greatly appreciated.
renneking is offline   Reply With Quote
Forum Notices (Not shown to 'Premium Members')

Reminder:

We're looking for participants to help move our banner from Alaska to Florida: Click HERE.

Click HERE to see the banner map.

Want to become a Premium Member & not see these notices? Click HERE.

Want your truck considered for Truck Of The Month? Click HERE.

Don't forget to vote!

Old 02-07-2012, 04:11 PM   #2
martin

Vehicle Year: 1984 1991
Vehicle Model: b2 explorer
martin is just really nicemartin is just really nicemartin is just really nicemartin is just really nice

first thing that comes to mind is head gasket (do compression test) or water pump.
martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 10:36 PM   #3
renneking

I use this vehicle for: driving to and from work 6 days a week about 25 miles round trip. maybe another 30 miles on weekend.

no one really seems into this one but i'll through it out there anyway. did pressure test, no external leaks. did the test for internal leaks i.e. blown headgasket, no leaks. did block test with the suction device put onto radiator that would turn dye yellow if leak, no leak. get heat in cab sporadically but when it works is very good heat. weep hole on water pump is not leaking but not sure if i can feel flow through upper radiator hose. should the flow be very strong and noticable. should i be able to squeeze upper hose easily with thermostat open. last week would start to overheat in about 2 miles. drove tonight for about 3 miles and could not get it hot. i guess what i'm asking is how do i know if it is for sure the water pump or possibly a plugged radiator or whatever else. just trying to save a buck so any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-08-2012, 10:26 AM   #4
backroad101

Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger XLT SuperCab
I use this vehicle for: 2nd vehicle / truck stuff.
backroad101 will become famous soon enough

Pull the in and out hoses off the heater core connections on the firewall, then flush and back-flush the heater core. While the hoses are disconnected, connect them them to each other to bypass the heater core and drive around to see if you overheat. If no, then it's the heater core. If yes, problem elsewhere.

Connect the hoses back to the heater core and drive again. If no overheat, your flush / back-flush worked. If no issue is heater core or elsewhere.

Other option is you have air in the cooling system
Old 02-08-2012, 11:03 AM   #5
shane96ranger
\----===FoMoCo===----/

Vehicle Year: 1997 / 1989
Vehicle Model: F150 XLT / Mustang GT
I use this vehicle for: Everything / The war on imports
shane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds to me like you have an air pocket. Did you put the "pellet" in the thermostat at 12 o'clock? This helps bleed the system of air pockets.

Is your gauge sweeping back and forth, or just staying high?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammert609@yahoo.com View Post
I am being told by family an friends my truck is a piece of shit
shane96ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 01:55 PM   #6
hondaxr650

Vehicle Year: 1997
Vehicle Model: Ranger
I use this vehicle for: Daily Driver
hondaxr650 will become famous soon enough

If your coolant was really rusty, you may have a clogged radiator. I've also seen cars with rusty cooing systems that had the fins completely rusted off of the water pump impeller. Just a thought.
hondaxr650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 04:36 PM   #7
renneking

thanks for the replies. coolent was very rusty and havent flushed heater core yet. not sure about thermostat "pellet" being at 12oclock. just got off work going to go try some of this out.
Old 02-08-2012, 05:09 PM   #8
kimcrwbr1

Vehicle Year: 1983
Vehicle Model: ranger
I use this vehicle for: DD tow boat
kimcrwbr1 is a name known to allkimcrwbr1 is a name known to allkimcrwbr1 is a name known to allkimcrwbr1 is a name known to allkimcrwbr1 is a name known to allkimcrwbr1 is a name known to all

If you dont know how old the water pump is get a new one. The only way to get all the rust out of the block is by pulling the water pump and t-stat. With high pressure water flush the block out good until you get no brown water also blast the heater core both ways about half pressure and do the same with the radiator until you get no brown water. Spend the money on a good water pump and t-stat. If you have the time fill the radiator and heater core 1/2 bleach 1/2 water and let sit overnite then rinse good with water. To fill the systen add a flushing tee in the heater hose that goes to the t-stat housing hold it level with the top of the radiator and pour in the coolant/water until it comes out the radiator that will fill the heater core and bypass and with the weep hole on the t-stat at the highest point you should only need to fill the overflow tank after the engine comes up to normal temp.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:45 PM   #9
shane96ranger
\----===FoMoCo===----/

shane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond repute

Dumb question, but you did put the thermostat in the right direction as well, right?

Quote:
Old 02-09-2012, 11:23 AM   #10
shane96ranger
\----===FoMoCo===----/

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimcrwbr1 View Post
with the weep hole on the t-stat at the highest point
Renneking, this is the same thing I was talking about. The part we are talking about is the little brass piece that jiggles around, almost to the edge most outer diameter of the t-stat. The OEM t-stats have a little BB/pellet in it.

Quote: