Home Discussion Forum Tech Articles Other Articles Featured Rides Readers Rides Classifieds Shirts & Decals Parts Store

Ford Ranger Discussion Forum

Off-Road Truck Of The Month

'AgPete139'
September 2014 OTOTM

Mini Truck Of The Month

'alexp11'
September 2014 MTOTM

Old 03-29-2012, 10:13 AM   #1
firedawg

Vehicle Year: 1994
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Explorer
firedawg is on a distinguished road
Default 4.0 exhaust backfire, won't start in SC

Breaking down and asking for help finally... got a 94 explorer manual 270k that i've been messing with for 6 months. Not my primary vehicle but I miss the gas mileage. Problem started way back with a slight stumble which I figured fuel filter. Got progressivley worse the following days where it would idle find but when you hit the accelerator it would stumble and pop. Got to the point where it wouldnt go anymore. Actually got it started maybe 4 months ago and it idled nice and smooth but when you gave it gas it went stupid again. It showed some EGR codes that I never pursued. Now when cranking it backfires thru the exhaust and pisses all the dogs off in town.

Ignition module (checked twice), coils checked, new crankshaft position sensor, fuel filter changed, fuel pressure around 36 if I remember right. Changed out the computer today for one bought from a fellow member on this site, no change. I'm a decent shadetree mechanic but I need some direction with this one.

Seems like timing but when I had it running last it idled perfect. I'm thinking timing advance maybe? I understand there is a sensor in place of the distributor, heard its a bear to get to. Figured the computer reads both sensors on the cam and crank. Timing issue due to mileage? Not sure of maintenance history on timing chain? or belt? since ive only had it a couple of years.

Any suggestions or checklist to start from the top off? Thanks for reading.

Tony in SC
firedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Forum Notices (Not shown to 'Premium Members')

Reminder:

We're looking for participants to help move our banner from Alaska to Florida: Click HERE.

Click HERE to see the banner map.

Want to become a Premium Member & not see these notices? Click HERE.

Want your truck considered for Truck Of The Month? Click HERE.

Don't forget to vote!

Old 03-30-2012, 07:03 AM   #2
adsm08
EOAH

Asteroids Champion

Vehicle Year: 1987
Vehicle Model: Ranger XLT
I use this vehicle for: Elevenses
adsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to adsm08

Now is the no start issue limited to South Carolina, or does it continue into other states?

There is a sensor in the back where the distributor would be, and it is used for timing advance, you are correct.

I would also agree that it sounds like you have a timing issue. It runs fine at idle so your base timing is OK. It's backfiring out the exhaust when you rev it, so your timing is not advancing. I'd hit it with a cam sensor and see what happens.

Project: Amazing Grace

Project: Cash 'N Carry

Project: 12-Volt Sandwich, project finished

Project: Birthday Present

I have learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

HELP REPEAL OBAMACARE

HELP REPEAL WASHINGTON DC
adsm08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 07:11 AM   #3
firedawg

Thanks for reply. The state comment had an alterior motive. Again thanks for the direction.
Old 03-31-2012, 10:09 PM   #4
marauderx

Vehicle Year: 1991
Vehicle Make: FORD
Vehicle Model: Ranger with modified wide bed
marauderx is on a distinguished road

Lots of sarcasm around here man, just roll with it, bust some balls back at em, and laugh with us. I am from the muddy coast/Cajun country where we eat anything that moves, adsm08 probably eats philly cheese steaks 3 times a day, and we have had a few no start Q's come out of SC... Let me restate the Mantra- "Check the Grounds" Repeat 25X-
marauderx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 07:12 AM   #5
firedawg

Which grounds? the one beside the computer looks fine. Battery ground?