Home Discussion Forum Tech Articles Other Articles Featured Rides Readers Rides Classifieds Shirts & Decals Parts Store

Ford Ranger Discussion Forum

Off-Road Truck Of The Month

'PlumCrazy'
October 2014 OTOTM

Mini Truck Of The Month

'Ted R.'
October 2014 MTOTM

Go Back   The Ranger Station Forums > Styling & Electrical > Lighting/Illumination

Notices

Lighting/Illumination This forum is for headlamps, auxillary lighting, interior lighting, and LED conversions.

Old 06-24-2012, 02:19 AM   #1
greaseyfingers

Vehicle Year: 1987
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger
greaseyfingers is on a distinguished road
Default Why do both rear turn signals blink when the right side is turned on?

On my 90 ford ranger, both rear turn signals will blink when the right side is turned on, while the right front blinker blinks ok..

The front and back blinkers work fine when the left side blinker is turned on?

I don't know what's causing both rear turn signals to flash when I use the right blinker, as the left side works fine without any problems..

Another thing I noticed is that if I put on the right side blinker, without the key in the ignition, and press the brake pedal..

The right front, driver's side, turn signal light will light up and the turn signal flasher will start clicking, but the right front turn signal doesn't flash, while the brake pedal is being depressed and the rear brake lights will stay on..

While the turn signal flasher is clicking, as explained.. When I turn the heater blower motor's switch on, without the key on.. Each time the turn signal flasher clicks, the heater blower motor will start up on each click the flasher makes and then stop between each click..

Another thing I also noticed is if I put on the emergency flashers they will work fine, until I depress the brake pedal..

Then the emergecncy flasher lights will stay on and stop flashing, as long as the brake pedal is depressed..

I've never had a problem like this, before..

What is the solution to this problem, when the right side blinker is turned on and both rear blinkers will start blinking?

Do you think the turn signal switch is faulty and is somehow crossing power over to the rear left side blinker, when the right side blinker is turned on?

Has anyone else experienced this kind of problem, before, and know what needs to be done to fix it?

Last edited by greaseyfingers; 07-12-2012 at 10:27 PM.
greaseyfingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Forum Notices (Not shown to 'Premium Members')

Reminder:

We're looking for participants to help move our banner from Alaska to Florida: Click HERE.

Click HERE to see the banner map.

Want to become a Premium Member & not see these notices? Click HERE.

Want your truck considered for Truck Of The Month? Click HERE.

Don't forget to vote!

Old 06-24-2012, 02:47 AM   #2
Andy D

Vehicle Year: 94
Vehicle Make: The Rat
Vehicle Model: 4x4 4.0 5spd Vise grip shift 1354 E, manual hubs
I use this vehicle for: mini pick up stuff
My credo: to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
Andy D will become famous soon enoughAndy D will become famous soon enough

I'm guessing the right blinker is "looking" for a better ground
Andy D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 03:00 AM   #3
70roadrunner
Premium Member

Vehicle Year: 1984 1970 194
Vehicle Make: ford plymouth
Vehicle Model: bronco II road runner custom deluxe
I use this vehicle for: daily driver, hunting, fishing, off-road
70roadrunner has a spectacular aura about70roadrunner has a spectacular aura about

if both lights blink in unison and are both bright, i would suspect the turn signal switch. it may be shorting in the brake light circuit, as it runs through the turn signal switch, but only for the rear. i have had the same problem before, turned out to be metal shavings from the horn contact stuck in the grease in the turn signal switch! that was from a car built in the late 60's, not sure if there is dielectric grease in the newer switches. hope this helps

I"ll become a vegetarian when bacon grows on trees!
70roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 03:04 AM   #4
greaseyfingers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy D View Post
If you're guessing the right rear turn signal blinker is "looking" for a better ground, as you mentioned..

Could that cause the left rear turn signal blinker to blink, while the right rear turn signal is blinking?
Old 06-24-2012, 03:27 AM   #5
greaseyfingers

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70roadrunner View Post
if both lights blink in unison and are both bright, i would suspect the turn signal switch. it may be shorting in the brake light circuit, as it runs through the turn signal switch, but only for the rear. i have had the same problem before, turned out to be metal shavings from the horn contact stuck in the grease in the turn signal switch! that was from a car built in the late 60's, not sure if there is dielectric grease in the newer switches. hope this helps
How long did it take you to figure that one out, before you found the cause of your problem?

When it comes to mechanics, sometimes, you never know what you will run into, when you start trouble shooting the possible causes of a problem..

Until I find out for sure, I'm thinking my problem is probably in my turn signal switch, too, for causing the current some how to cross over to the left rear side, from the right rear side, which could be making both my ranger's rear turn signals to blink, at the same time..

What year turn signals switch's fit a 1990 ranger, and does anyone have a spare one for cheap..
Old 07-01-2012, 01:28 PM   #6
greaseyfingers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy D View Post
Where are the 90 Ranger tail light blinker grounds located, if you'e guessing the right blinker is "looking" for a better ground..
Old 07-01-2012, 01:40 PM   #7
greaseyfingers

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70roadrunner View Post
I took the turn signal switch apart and cleaned all the contacts inside..

It's still doing the same thing, when I turn on the right turn signal switch, both rear tail light turn signals blink, at the same time, nice and bright..

Do you think something is worn inside the turn signal switch, that is causing this problem and somehow causing the current to cross over to both rear tail light turn signal bulbs, which is making them both to blink, at the same time, when the right turn signal switch is used..
Old 07-01-2012, 02:09 PM   #8
shane96ranger

Vehicle Year: 1997 / 1989
Vehicle Model: F150 XLT / Mustang GT
I use this vehicle for: Everything / The war on imports
shane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by greaseyfingers View Post
Where are the 90 Ranger tail light blinker grounds located
This really doesn't matter. If you suspect bad ground is the issue, make a new ground for each side. My trailer that was an 87 bed had a bad ground, and I grounded them right behind the tail light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammert609@yahoo.com View Post
I am being told by family an friends my truck is a piece of shit
shane96ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 03:46 PM   #9
greaseyfingers

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane96ranger View Post
This really doesn't matter. If you suspect bad ground is the issue, make a new ground for each side. My trailer that was an 87 bed had a bad ground, and I grounded them right behind the tail light.
Was your bad ground causing both your rear turn signals to blink nice and bright, at the same time, when using the right turn signal switch?

I'm trying to find the solution to the source of the problem..

If I had a bad ground, both my Ranger's tail light blinkers, even though they're, for some reason blinking nice and bright, at the same time, when the right turn signal switch is on, wouldn't be the symptom of having a bad ground, would it?

If there was a bad ground for the tail light turn signals, somewhere..

Wouldn't a turn signal that had a bad ground, either cause it to not work at all, or else be dimly lit, or else cause it to maybe work intermittingly..
Old 07-01-2012, 04:39 PM   #10
shane96ranger

Vehicle Year: 1997 / 1989
Vehicle Model: F150 XLT / Mustang GT
I use this vehicle for: Everything / The war on imports
shane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond repute

Yes mine made both sides flash in my Explorer as well. It is extremely easy to see if a ground is a fix. You could have checked it in the same time it took to type why you think it's not a ground issue.

Three things off the top if my head to check. Ground, the bulb sockets, and then the switch.

Sent while I should be doing something else

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammert609@yahoo.com View Post
I am being told by family an friends my truck is a piece of shit
shane96ranger is offline   Reply With Quote