Home Discussion Forum Tech Articles Other Articles Featured Rides Readers Rides Classifieds Shirts & Decals Parts Store

Ford Ranger Discussion Forum

Off-Road Truck Of The Month

'AgPete139'
September 2014 OTOTM

Mini Truck Of The Month

'alexp11'
September 2014 MTOTM

Go Back   The Ranger Station Forums > Styling & Electrical > Misc Electrical & Gauges

Misc Electrical & Gauges Post your speedometer, gauges, interior and non audio/video questions here.

Old 05-21-2008, 02:54 AM   #1
Jim Oaks
Building another truck

Vehicle Year: 1983 & 1996
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger
I use this vehicle for: Dedicated trail rig!
My credo: Happy wife, happy life.
Jim Oaks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Oaks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Oaks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Oaks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Oaks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Oaks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Oaks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Oaks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Oaks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Oaks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Oaks has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Speedometer Problems [Check here first] --->

I see these problems pop up all over the place so I figured I would try to consolidate the information in one place.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong or contribute to what I write here.

Problem - "The speedometer in my 1999 Ranger fluctuates or doesn't work until I hit 30MPH. What's wrong?

Answer - The 1998-2000 Rangers are not equipped with a VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor). The PCM (Powertrain Control Module) receives vehicle speed information from the antilock brake system rear wheel speed sensor. The raw signal from the ABS/VSS sensor on the rear axle goes directly to the Explorer 4WABS module where the signal is corrected for tire diameter. Then the corrected signal is sent out on the gray/black to the PCM, speed control, cluster, etc. In this system, the PCM is an end user of the corrected VSS signal.

The problem is usually found in the ABS speed sensor on top of the differential in your rear axle.

Remove the rear wheel speed sensor from the axle housing.

Connect a Digital Volt/Ohm Meter (DVOM) across the two sensor terminals and record the reading.

The reading should be between 0.8 and 1.4 k Ohms.

If not, replace the sensor.

Problem - "The speedometer on my '96 Ranger quits working sometimes."

Answer - From 1995-1997, check the VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor) on the transmission/transfercase. Could be bad.

Turn off vehicle and disconnect the VSS cable. Using a Digital Volt-Ohmmeter (DVOM), measure the resistance (DVOM ohmmeter function) between the sensor terminals on the VSS (not the cable). If the resistance is 190-250 ohms, the sensor is okay.

Problem - "The speedometer in my 1993 Ranger fluctuates. What's wrong?"

Answer - Your 1983-1994 Ranger uses a speedometer cable (mechanical). The problem could be anything from binding, worn or broken gear teeth on the speedometer gear, a worn out cable assembly or dirt/contamination causing the needle to stick.

I don't see much on the 2001 and newer Rangers with speedometer problems, they have a different set up then the 1998-2000 models. Starting in 2001, the raw speed signal from the OSS (Output Shaft Speed) sensor on the transmission goes directly to the Ranger PCM (Powertrain Control Module) where it is corrected for tire diameter and axle ratio. The PCM then outputs the corrected VSS pulse the speed control and the cluster. In this system the PCM is the correction and distribution point for the VSS signal.

Vote For TRS In Top 4x4 Sites
Jim Oaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Forum Notices (Not shown to 'Premium Members')

Reminder:

We're looking for participants to help move our banner from Alaska to Florida: Click HERE.

Click HERE to see the banner map.

Want to become a Premium Member & not see these notices? Click HERE.

Want your truck considered for Truck Of The Month? Click HERE.

Don't forget to vote!

Old 08-26-2008, 12:12 PM   #2
Forrest

Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Make: FORD
Vehicle Model: RANGER XLT
I use this vehicle for: Everything
Forrest is on a distinguished road

Have they been known to leak.
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 12:15 PM   #3
Forrest

Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Make: FORD
Vehicle Model: RANGER XLT
I use this vehicle for: Everything
Forrest is on a distinguished road

Have they been known to leak. I have a 2000 XLT that seems to leaking gear oil.
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 07:42 AM   #4
prsguitars42

Vehicle Year: 1997
prsguitars42 is on a distinguished road

Jim, the vss on my '97 ranger is good(measured 230 ohms). What else could it be?
prsguitars42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 04:32 PM   #5
cheyennesn

Vehicle Year: 1995
Vehicle Model: Ranger Xlt single cab 4 cylinder(url above for my homepage is a link to my albums on myspace that sh
I use this vehicle for: everything, anything and all the in-between
cheyennesn is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to cheyennesn
Default odmeter on 1995 ford Ranger xlt

Shortly after i purchased my Ranger i noticed the odemeter would work when it wanted to. the speedometer works just fine, i asked ford about it and they said after so many miles ( mine has 252, 000 miles on it) that it didn't matter that i would have to relace all the gages.
it does work from time to time and i still have no clue what is wrong with it does anyone else have this problem?
cheyennesn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 09:08 AM   #6
Kedyn's Crow

Vehicle Year: 1990
Kedyn's Crow is on a distinguished road

I have a 1990 Ranger 4x4 and the speedometer just stopped working. When I check stored engine codes I get a code of 29 which means Insufficient input from the Vehcile Speed Sensor (VSS). Do the 1990's have a Vehicle Speed Sensor as well as the cable for the speedo?
Kedyn's Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 01:53 AM   #7
land2634

Vehicle Year: 1996
land2634 is on a distinguished road

Ok, so my dad bought a 96 Ford Ranger brand new (manual transmission), and I've been driving it for close to 5 years now. It has run great for a long time, but even when he drove it, the speedometer was never right. I've done my due diligence and know I need a new speedometer gear with more teeth (most likely one more). My speedometer is 6mph off. If it shows 70, I'm actually going 64. I want to go to my local Ford dealership to get the part, but want to know what I need when I get there. Does anyone know what the standard number of teeth on the speedometer gear is for this model?
land2634 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 09:34 AM   #8
canoeman

Vehicle Year: 2004
canoeman is on a distinguished road

It still doesnt explain why the odometer doesnt work but the speedo does. I swapped out the same model year, just plug and play.
canoeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 01:49 PM   #9
oldjohnny

Vehicle Year: 1995
Vehicle Model: Ranger 4 Banger
I use this vehicle for: Daily Commute
oldjohnny will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by canoeman View Post
It still doesnt explain why the odometer doesnt work but the speedo does. I swapped out the same model year, just plug and play.
Odometers on Rangers tend to go bad quickly. Mine started acting up at 165K. It would stop and the numbers used to skip a lot. Usually, a big hit on top of your dash would fix it and make the odometer work again. I'm at 168K right now, and my odometer has completely stopped working.

You could have probably gotten a bad odometer.
oldjohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 08:47 AM   #10
ati190

Vehicle Year: 1992
Vehicle Model: F-250 custom
I use this vehicle for: Everything.
ati190 is on a distinguished road

bad odometer? not likely. More likely the odometer worm gear attached to the little motor is broken. Cheap and easy to replace.
ati190 is offline   Reply With Quote