Home Discussion Forum Tech Articles Other Articles Featured Rides Readers Rides Classifieds Shirts & Decals Parts Store

Ford Ranger Discussion Forum

Off-Road Truck Of The Month

'RICO9'
July 2014 OTOTM

Mini Truck Of The Month

'Cole' Dave'
July 2014 MTOTM

Go Back   The Ranger Station Forums > Truck Discussions > General Discussions

General Discussions This forum is for general discussions. Place posts that don't fit in any other forums here.

Old 09-16-2007, 07:33 PM   #1
jkc302

Vehicle Year: 1996
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger Supercab
jkc302 is on a distinguished road
Default Wont start!......Sometimes!

Hi everyone,

I have searched around the forums a little but didn't really get the info I was looking for so here it goes.

I have a 1996 Ranger 3.0 V6, automatic. Sometimes it won't start right away. It seems like "something" doesn't happen so the fuel pump will pressurize. Sometimes it is just fine, others I have to wait up to an hour for it to work.

When it does finally work you can hear something that sounds like a relay then the pump then it will start. I have checked and moved the three relays around in the box under the hood. The battery is good. Nothing seems obvious. I have looked at all the wiring to the fuel pump at the tank but not in the tank.

When it starts it runs and drives fine, no problems.

I'm lost on this one and getting very frustrated. I'm sure this has been discussed before but any and all help would be greatly appeciated!!

Thank You!
jkc302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Forum Notices (Not shown to 'Premium Members')

Reminder:

We're looking for participants to help move our banner from Alaska to Florida: Click HERE.

Click HERE to see the banner map.

Want to become a Premium Member & not see these notices? Click HERE.

Want your truck considered for Truck Of The Month? Click HERE.

Don't forget to vote!

Old 09-16-2007, 07:59 PM   #2
RobbieD

Vehicle Year: 1984,1990,1994
Vehicle Model: Ranger, Bronco II
RobbieD is on a distinguished road

You've covered some good basic things to check already, but here's one suggestion you might want to try. Next time it won't go, see if rapping the relays with your knuckle brings you back to normal starting. The same ones in the underhood box that you wiggled. I've got a '94 2.3L that had a very similar intermintent no start problem which turned out to be a tired fuel pump relay. A good little thump would unstick it. And although I've heard of a couple of other cases of these relays getting lazy and occasionally not working, yours could very well be something else. But your description sure makes me think it might be the relay. Good luck with it, and welcome to the site.
RobbieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 08:27 PM   #3
jkc302

Thanks! I'll give it a shot.
Old 09-16-2007, 08:43 PM   #4
ranger1999 Bob

Vehicle Year: 2007
Vehicle Model: Ranger XLT super cab 4 door
I use this vehicle for: work and pleasure
ranger1999 Bob is on a distinguished road

if it doesnt work i had an F250 one time that if you grabbed the wiring harness and shook it right off the positive battery cable near the fusible links it would start somewhere was a loose connection dont know if that will help or not
ranger1999 Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 10:07 PM   #5
Bill

Vehicle Year: 2007
Vehicle Model: Ranger
Bill is on a distinguished road

Both the fuel pump relay and the ECM relay have been known to cause these symptoms.

Usually, but not always, the problem occurs when the engine is warm. You stop, go in a store, come out, no start.

Most people are lucky enough that it will start within a few tries. I've read of a few cases where the engine compartment has to cool down before it will start.

They both use the same relay. The relay is inexpensive enough to "throw parts" at the problem.
Old 09-17-2007, 08:14 AM   #6
jkc302

Once again it gave me a hard time this morning. I tried knocking on the relays and even switched them around (the ones in the box under the hood), no dice.

I will take another look at the connections under the hood but i have done this so many times I really don't think I have missed anything.

Any other ideas???????
Old 09-17-2007, 09:45 AM   #7
RobbieD

Vehicle Year: 1984,1990,1994
Vehicle Model: Ranger, Bronco II
RobbieD is on a distinguished road

I'm sorry to hear that: I was hoping that we'd get lucky. The only thing that comes to mind is to check all of the several wiring harness grounding points, and to see if there's anything in the computer codes.
RobbieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 10:13 AM   #8
Earl43P
Premium Member

Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Model: Ranger
I use this vehicle for: a driveway ornament, light hauling
Earl43P is just really niceEarl43P is just really niceEarl43P is just really niceEarl43P is just really niceEarl43P is just really nice

Got a voltmeter?

Check at the inertia switch (easiest spot) PK/BK wire for power when this occurs. Key on = power, key off = power goes away.

If that is good, you don't have a relay problem, you have an intermittent fuel pump or a bad fuel pump ground (PS fenderwell).

If that check was BAD, you probably have a bad ignition switch. Try turning the key on/off repeatedly.

Intermittent problems are hard to pin down. Check power as described and report back results.

You might also rap hard on the fuel tank when it happens. If that helps = replace fuel pump or at least look at its connection.
Earl43P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 10:15 AM   #9
MAKG
RBV Technical Advisor

Vehicle Year: 1991
Vehicle Model: Explorer
MAKG will become famous soon enough

Perform a voltage drop test to isolate the problem. If it points to the PCM, perform the same check on the PCM power and ground.

The voltage drop in any simple circuit should all be at the load. If it isn't, find out where it is. Yes you can check in the tank without disassembling it this way.

1990 VW Jetta GL, 1.8L 8V gasoline engine, manual transmission, painted in oxidized red paint and ponderosa pine sap, unknown mileage.

1991 Exploder, 4.0L, M5OD-R1 manual transmission, electronic BW1354 transfer case, 3.54 gears, 31 inch tires, icky two-tone blue paint with little clear coat, 230K miles.

1972 Chevy C-10, 250 I-6, SM465 (2WD) four-on-the-floor, 3.73 gears in a GM 12-bolt, puke green with a white cab. The "4 wheeled trash can," with x70K miles. x is probably 2.
MAKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 10:15 AM   #10
snake

Vehicle Year: 2002
Vehicle Model: The mighty Ranger
I use this vehicle for: cruising for chicks
snake is on a distinguished road

Try checking the wiring underneath the relay. We had a guy on here some years ago that found one of the spade connectors where the relay plugs into loose from the wire. Wiggling it should make or break contact. I would also check the grounds and wiring at the tank if you are sure this is a fuel problem (which it sounds like to me as well). Wiggling things while it is running might find it too, wiggle until it dies...

You can verify a fuel problem by adding a little gas or starting fluid directly into the engine next time it doesn't start- if it cranks and runs the prime out, you know for sure it isn't getting fuel. If it doesn't start with the prime check the spark next.
2002 XLT in wedgewood blue, 4.0 auto, 4 doors (no waiting) MP3, 3:55 limited slip rear, payload package, factory installed trailer hitch, side step bars. Built 7/31/2002, shipped 8/19/2002, purchased 9/25/2002 sold 8/2011.

2011 F-150 crewcab ecoboost twin turbo. Purchased 7/13/2011
snake is offline   Reply With Quote