• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

TDI Ranger Build

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'd be happy to discuss but I'd like a mod to approve of that sort of discussion here or if another forum section is more appropriate.
I'm new at this mod stuff so research is advised. I don't see a problem with discussions of products where you are giving information [measurements, pictures, advice] on how to build something. AFAIK If you want to sell multiple units for profit that is different and should be taken up with Jim Oaks [owner of the site] probably by PM.
Edit; did some digging; Jim Oaks - "Commercial Selling - Only TRS vendors can advertise in the forums. If people want to advertise their products, they have to get in touch with me."

By the way, great work!

Richard

Last edited:

greengeeker

Firefighter
Reaction score
Engine Size
1.9L
Transmission
Manual
when do you thank you will have something like this ready? do you have any updates for us on the process of your truck?
I have a pile of parts ready to be installed, grab the yellow jerry can and start dumping in the first diesel and setup my fuel pressure regulator. :yahoo:

Regarding the wiring how-to and the Ranger-specific portion I'm going to need some help to make it applicable to more than just the 2000 2.5L Ranger. I think I'll try to get the function of the circuit on there (example: Glow plug light...VW ecu provides ground to bulb when glow plug light is supposed to be ON) to help others work around wiring issues if they come up. Anyway, to help with wiring up other years does anybody have a FoMoCo wiring diagram for a different year? Maybe pre-97?

greengeeker

Firefighter
Reaction score
Engine Size
1.9L
Transmission
Manual
I keep hope'n for video or more pics. I have my eye out for a new ranger for doing this swap. I know a site thats a ranger site that would allow you to sell the adapter. If interested, pm me. We just added a turbo diesel section.
I'm new at this mod stuff so research is advised. I don't see a problem with discussions of products where you are giving information [measurements, pictures, advice] on how to build something. AFAIK If you want to sell multiple units for profit that is different and should be taken up with Jim Oaks [owner of the site] probably by PM.
Edit; did some digging; Jim Oaks - "Commercial Selling - Only TRS vendors can advertise in the forums. If people want to advertise their products, they have to get in touch with me."

By the way, great work!

Richard
Thanks for the kind words guys.

Thanks for looking into it Richard. I'm not really looking at whoring out my wares on TRS but just doing research. What should be offered in kits, etc... I'll check with Jim.

greengeeker

Firefighter
Reaction score
Engine Size
1.9L
Transmission
Manual
Wiring, Part 1

Well I finally found some time to get some actual work done on the Ranger. For the past few months or so I've been studying my wiring diagrams and coming up with a solid game plan on how I'm going to wire up this guy. I think I mentioned earlier that I intended to show two different ways to wire up a TDI but I've decided to just skip ahead to the fully integrated setup.

First I need to clear out the original ecu box as it isn't wide enough for the vw ecu nor am I going to get a weather-tight seal around the ecu (the box passes through to the passenger compartment).

Wow was this a PITA. To avoid completely disassembling the dash I had to break this plastic compartment up and remove it piece by piece out the engine bay. I also had to shear off the two aluminum grounding plates that the ford ecu sat on. I'll fab up a block off plate for the back hole into the passenger compartment. I'll also fab up a new ecu box utilizing the vw ecu slide in mount.

Here's how everything is laying out:

Herr VW harness, I introduce you to Mr Ranger harness. I clipped this portion off of the original 2.5L engine harness so I can have only weather tight connectors in the engine bay - the colored connectors will be clipped and all the wires mated to the matching Ford wires with adhesive-lined butt connectors.

And here is a look at the MAP, CCV heater, N75 connector as well as the MAF connector. I'm going to wire it in even though I don't intend to use it at the moment.

I still need to remove these components (the ones on the board) from the remainder of the harness: throttle pedal pigtail, glow plug relay, 109 Relay, harness for fan control module, battery top fuse panel, and I think that is most of it.

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks. I can't believe you popped your posting cherry on my thread. I'm honored. :icon_thumby:
And it only took him two and a half years :D Project's coming along nice. I do suggest you solder and heatshrink over butt-splicing to keep the resistance down as well as for longevity of the harness...

SVT

joecool85

Reaction score
And it only took him two and a half years :D Project's coming along nice. I do suggest you solder and heatshrink over butt-splicing to keep the resistance down as well as for longevity of the harness...

SVT
I agree. Soldering is always the way to go on something that you want to last more than just a year or two.

greengeeker

Firefighter
Reaction score
Engine Size
1.9L
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the feedback guys. I intially was going to solder and heat shrink but decided to go with these as they are more fool proof for the novice wiring guy. I do believe they will be better than somebody's first time soldering and heat shrink. I'll post some pictures after I use a couple.

Thed

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Keep up the good work... and drink plenty of beer.

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
If you check out my sport Trac build thread, first post, I have a pretty good how to for proper soldering of wires. Might help you restore your faith and confidence in soldering techniques...

SVT

Got302ci

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Its funny that I found this thread, I happen to live in Princeton, MN and also have a custom ranger.

Short box, Reg cab, bright red with a built 4.6L V8

greengeeker

Firefighter
Reaction score
Engine Size
1.9L
Transmission
Manual
Its funny that I found this thread, I happen to live in Princeton, MN and also have a custom ranger.

Short box, Reg cab, bright red with a built 4.6L V8
Nice! We'll have to meet up sometime.

greengeeker

Firefighter
Reaction score
Engine Size
1.9L
Transmission
Manual
If you check out my sport Trac build thread, first post, I have a pretty good how to for proper soldering of wires. Might help you restore your faith and confidence in soldering techniques...
I saw your how-to, thanks for that.

Don't get me wrong - I can solder just fine. I'm no expert in it (I work with many, many expert level solderers so I am humbled by their skill) but I am capable enough to go that route if I need to. I'm approaching this from the standpoint of a complete mechanical guy who is perplexed by wiring up a starter circuit or an auto choke- they are less likely to have the skills or equipment to do a quality solder job. I would rather they pick up a set of crimpers, a butt connector and a heat gun [lighter]. Again, just trying to go for the more fool-proof way to get a weather-tight joint. When I write up the how-to I'll put both methods in it and leave it up to the individual which method they have more confidence in.

john weeda

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
1.9 td; 1.9 tdi
Transmission
Manual
I saw your how-to, thanks for that.

Don't get me wrong - I can solder just fine. I'm no expert in it (I work with many, many expert level solderers so I am humbled by their skill) but I am capable enough to go that route if I need to. I'm approaching this from the standpoint of a complete mechanical guy who is perplexed by wiring up a starter circuit or an auto choke- they are less likely to have the skills or equipment to do a quality solder job. I would rather they pick up a set of crimpers, a butt connector and a heat gun [lighter]. Again, just trying to go for the more fool-proof way to get a weather-tight joint. When I I'll put both methods in it and leave it up to the individual which method they have more confidence in.

Hello when do you thank you will have the how-to write up done I cant wait to see it? I have my alh short block and geting my m5od four cylnder tranny soon and have started to design my adapter plate.
you are the MAN GreenGeeker Thank you for this great right up!:icon_thumby:

Last edited by a moderator:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals