• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

dhkonrad's 93 ford ranger

UrbanRedneckKid

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
One of the perks of having your radius arms pivot so close to the double-cardan joint. They all move in the same plane and arc.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk now Free

dhkonrad

2013 Offroad TOTY
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
2013 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
One of the perks of having your radius arms pivot so close to the double-cardan joint. They all move in the same plane and arc.

Exactly. I also think my truck is low enough that my driveshaft shouldn't bind when the drivers side droops. It will be close to smashing my exhaust at bump though...

UrbanRedneckKid

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Mine broke the O2 sensor with the oem y-pipe, running 5.5 coils and buckets at stock height. I have since got Hedman headers and y-pipe, 6.5 coils, and lowered the buckets to +1". There is a rub mark on my O2 now, but haven't broken it yet. I also like to put my truck 10' in the air every now and then...

dhkonrad

2013 Offroad TOTY
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
2013 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Mine broke the O2 sensor with the oem y-pipe, running 5.5 coils and buckets at stock height. I have since got Hedman headers and y-pipe, 6.5 coils, and lowered the buckets to +1". There is a rub mark on my O2 now, but haven't broken it yet. I also like to put my truck 10' in the air every now and then...

:shok: Isn't the O2 sensor on the top of the Y-pipe? Well, that's what mine is right now, stock height buckets and 5.5 coils. Now you have me real worried.
But holy hell :icon_surprised: 10'?? I am way too scared to even hit bumps and ditches too hard because I have about 0 faith in my fabrication skills. I am terrified I am going to rip my trackbar bracket off my frame. Ive seen too many horror stories....

UrbanRedneckKid

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Empty ponds are a blast! Lol

My oem y-pipe was cut and rewelded 5-7 times for trans removal, the O2 sorta relocated it's self.

I abuse the $#!+ out of my poor truck, if it breaks I'll fix it later. After all that's why I have 2 DDs and a trailer. If it looks fun, I'll do it. I've had good luck with my suspension so far. Those German 5150 shocks are awesome!

dhkonrad

2013 Offroad TOTY
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
2013 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Empty ponds are a blast! Lol

My oem y-pipe was cut and rewelded 5-7 times for trans removal, the O2 sorta relocated it's self.

I abuse the $#!+ out of my poor truck, if it breaks I'll fix it later. After all that's why I have 2 DDs and a trailer. If it looks fun, I'll do it. I've had good luck with my suspension so far. Those German 5150 shocks are awesome!

I wish I had a DD...

Little update:
Replaced windshield wipers

and air cleaner

the dirt spot is from dropping it from around waist height. Definitely needed replacing... blah blah blah

Oh, and its party time!!!!

Finally its a 4wheel drive straight axle swap..

On a side note, take a look at this u-joint!!

Picture doesn't do it justice. It had to have been 6 inches or more across.

2004xlmiller

March 2013 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual

dhkonrad

2013 Offroad TOTY
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
2013 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Very nice!
Thanks! :icon_cheers:

Did a little bit more light wheeling in the desert around Boise, and the truck is still holding together pretty well. It was at night, and only got one real good video. It looked pretty cool with the underglow *ahem* I mean rocklights, but its on my friends phone so I got to bug him and try to get it. On my last fill up it also looks like I got about 12-13 mpg. Seems a bit low to me, but I have been doing a lot of short trips, and even the small amount of freeway driving I have done has been at relatively high rpms due to 5.13 gears with only 35s... Need to step it up to 37s before too long...

Last edited:

Dugan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989, 1949
Make / Model
Ford, IH
Engine Size
2.9L, 355 SBC
Transmission
Manual
Your prob going nuts without access to tools... I know I am. Everything is packed in storage waiting for my house to finalize. 4 months and not worked on anything.... you start to lose it after a bit.

dhkonrad

2013 Offroad TOTY
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
2013 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Your prob going nuts without access to tools... I know I am. Everything is packed in storage waiting for my house to finalize. 4 months and not worked on anything.... you start to lose it after a bit.
Im going insane. I have access to a few hand tools that I brought with me (top box of my roll away stuffed with as many tools as I could get in, as well as another box of 3 socket sets) but I left most of my specialty tools, power tools, welder, bender, etc at home. I think right now if I could just get a spot to work on stuff and do maintenance I would feel a lot better. I guess its only 2 more years of school...
Hoping this summer I can take my truck back home and make some progress. Maybe exo? Rear bumper for sure.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Don't think I read any where aabout you Regearing the ttb. You ran 35s on I'm assuming 3.73? How'd that go? Also what exhaust? Btw great job. Truck looks awesome.can't wait to see some wheeling pics

Last edited:

dhkonrad

2013 Offroad TOTY
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
2013 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Don't think I read any where about you Regearing the ttb. You ran 35s on I'm assuming 3.73? How'd that go? Also what exhaust? Btw great job. Truck looks awesome.can't wait to see some wheeling pics

Thanks man! I can't wait to get some more wheeling in!
You are correct, they were still 3.73.
Honestly, it wasn't that bad. I mean, I notice a difference now that I have 5.13's, but most of it I feel on higher rpm's at higher speeds. Taking off from a standstill I notice somewhat, but not as much as you would think.
The videos on the first few pages of me rock crawling at Fordyce trail were with 35s and the 3.73s and no shocks. I felt like the lack of shocks was way more annoying than the high gears, but you can tell I was hurting for a lower gear. I haven't done really any rock crawling yet with my new setup, so I can't really tell you how much of a difference I feel in that respect.
As far as exhaust, up until now I just had it disconnected from the cat. When I moved up to school a few months ago, I reconnected about 2' of exhaust, and it is pretty quiet. too quiet.

dhkonrad

2013 Offroad TOTY
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
2013 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Did a little bit of wheeling. Nothing major, just a bit of tooling around in some river bottoms
It was actually a receded lake, and you could drive along the road that used to be there before the lake went in

here was the remains of where the road crossed the river. It actually seems like it would have been a pretty scenic road before the lake went in. Also kind of eerie thinking about all that is under the water while you are boating around not 15' up....

fender flares made it almost impossible to get the sides of the truck muddy

until I kinda got stuck in 2wd ...

friend making a clean exit out the drivers side haha

Even after getting stuck a few times, it was still hard to get the truck muddy. I hate fender flares...

stock explorer doesn't flex much...

I found a bigger rock to try and flex my truck more. With the front in the air the front wont flex AT ALL

the rear will though

stock mudflap is touching the ground

Probably enough poser shots for now. Thanks for looking! :icon_thumby:

EDIT: Twice recently now I have been on the side of a steep hill and I was pretty worried about rolling, and it made me curious just how far my truck will go without rolling over. And the best way to test it, obviously without rolling my truck.

Last edited:

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You got quite a few places to go wheeling around there. Idk how familiar you are with the area. I seem to make it down to Boise once a year for a trip. Ussualley rigging is far as I go, as there are several miles of wheeling to be done from here to there.

I always wanted to catch a white knight show down there

Downey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
best way to test to see how far before rolling over is a fork lift. that way you can go slow up with the fork lift and not actually roll your truck. i bet you could get the rear tire off the ground a foot or so and still be safe

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals