• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Changing oil

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Had one of them hatches on my wife's Subaru. Took me 15-20minutes to figure out how to open it, no screws just pins that pop out.

Plus the drain plug is on an angle, not straight down, so the oil shoots out sideways. And it 0W-20, so by the time you realise the oil shoots out sideways instead of straight down most of it is already on the floor.

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
I did the oil on the 2020 Edge a few weeks ago. Fun times. There is no access panel, or rubber flap, nothing that easy. You need to remove 13 or 14 7mm screws and take the entire lower engine cover off which goes from the front bumper to behind the front wheels so not possible to reach all the screws without putting it on ramps/jack stands or hiring a 5 year old child to crawl under there...
My Dad’s Fusion is like that. Lately he just takes it to the dealer. He’s retired and it gives him something to do to get away from my mother for a couple hours. Also they have free donuts.

HenryMac

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2019, '31, '27
Make / Model
Ranger, A & T
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo, 350, 5.0 HO
Transmission
Automatic
Total Drop
Stock, about a foot, about a foot
Tire Size
LT 265/65 R17, P285/70R15 & P195/65R15, 820-15 & 500-15
Gotta take off skid plate in Ranger. 6.2 quarts I think. Took about 6.5. I agree why cant it be a even 6 or 7. So now I got half a quart of oil sitting around to keep up with.
Where's the oil level on the dipstick after adding 6.5 quarts?

I've changed the oil in our 2019 Ranger (4) times now. 6.0 quarts brings they oil level right up to the center of the hash marks on the dipstick.

And that's 1st draining the oil, then installing the drain plug, then removing the filter, then removing the drain plug again. Removing the filter drains more oil into the crankcase.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
^ Because the engines like the T6 truck are not an American design, they were originally Asian/Australian designed & the engines originally assembled in Spain, over there litres is the unit for measurement & the capacity is 6 litres.
The US ranger engine is unique to the north American trucks and was never offered in the T6 international ranger. The 2.3 Ecoboost is based on the 2.3 duratec from the old rangers which used exactly 4 quarts. It never had any reason to be measured in liters.

Last edited:

Robertmangrum.rm

Wannabe Overlander
Supporting Member
RBV's on Boost
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5 level kit with rear add a leaf appox. 1.5
Tire Size
305/70r17
My credo
Buy it, build it, and drive it like you stole it
Where's the oil level on the dipstick after adding 6.5 quarts?

I've changed the oil in our 2019 Ranger (4) times now. 6.0 quarts brings they oil level right up to the center of the hash marks on the dipstick.

And that's 1st draining the oil, then installing the drain plug, then removing the filter, then removing the drain plug again. Removing the filter drains more oil into the crankcase.
It was just under the max level on dip stick. Unlike some I had very little fuel dilution in oil. I measured what came out. And it was just over 6.5 quarts. Started at 6 and I was just under min mark. So added about a quarter at a time started motor waited checked and repeated again. Could have took a little less but I did .25 at a time. This was my 2nd oil change in first 5000. Did first around 1500.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
It seems like the people who have massive fuel dilution take short trips in their truck almost exclusively.

I havnt noticed an alarming amount of dilution in my truck.. BUT.. my commute is 26ish miles and takes 30-35 minutes. Seems like most of those people only drive 4 miles to work and back.

Robertmangrum.rm

Wannabe Overlander
Supporting Member
RBV's on Boost
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5 level kit with rear add a leaf appox. 1.5
Tire Size
305/70r17
My credo
Buy it, build it, and drive it like you stole it
It seems like the people who have massive fuel dilution take short trips in their truck almost exclusively.

I havnt noticed an alarming amount of dilution in my truck.. BUT.. my commute is 26ish miles and takes 30-35 minutes. Seems like most of those people only drive 4 miles to work and back.
I only drive about 4 miles to work but do a lot of driving elsewhere long distance. 3 hour trips hauling a trailer full of camping gear or the SxS. Also we use it as the family transportation as well being my son is about 5 10 already and dont fit in the back of the Focus very well. Being said our parents live about 35 40 miles one way.

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
The US ranger engine is unique to the north American trucks and was never offered in the T6 international ranger. The 2.3 Ecoboost is based on the 2.3 duratec from the old rangers which used exactly 4 quarts. It never had any reason to be measured in liters.
Rangers everywhere else are diesels I think. My suspicion is that they never planned to sell it here. Small diesels have a hard time with US emissions (see VW lawsuit) so they stuck in the only suitable engine they had, which the truck wasn’t designed with in mind, so that’s why the oil filter is a pain in the ass. Just my theory.

HenryMac

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2019, '31, '27
Make / Model
Ranger, A & T
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo, 350, 5.0 HO
Transmission
Automatic
Total Drop
Stock, about a foot, about a foot
Tire Size
LT 265/65 R17, P285/70R15 & P195/65R15, 820-15 & 500-15
Rangers everywhere else are diesels I think. My suspicion is that they never planned to sell it here. Small diesels have a hard time with US emissions (see VW lawsuit) so they stuck in the only suitable engine they had, which the truck wasn’t designed with in mind, so that’s why the oil filter is a pain in the ass. Just my theory.
Hmm? Opinions vary. Your comment leaves me wondering: Have you changed the oil / oil filter on your 2020 Ranger?

I've changed the oil on our 2019 Ranger 4 times now. The oil filter set-up is well thought out and when the filter is removed the drain trough Ford engineered into the truck routes the oil so it doesn't spill oil all over crossmembers that then drip oil for a week. A simple spray of brake cleaner cleans the trough. Easy Peazy.

In regard to the T6 vs the US version... major differences between the two, including a completely different frame, bumpers and body panels. The US Ranger was specifically designed for the US. It's nothing like a rebadged T6.

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
Hmm? Opinions vary. Your comment leaves me wondering: Have you changed the oil / oil filter on your 2020 Ranger?
No. Seems kind of dumb to have to remove a rubber flap with clips that break to get to the filter though. Like having to remove the belly pan on my dad's Fusion to change the oil.

In regard to the T6 vs the US version... major differences between the two, including a completely different frame, bumpers and body panels. The US Ranger was specifically designed for the US. It's nothing like a rebadged T6.
Okay, I figured most of it was the same since they look similar.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Since I have to work on ramps, the oil runs down the frame, aft. I'm not sure if the trough is working as it is supposed to in that configuration. It might work better if you have a lift or a maintenance pit. It's not that big of a deal to clean up and I figure the residue rusts proof that area, I don't think that it's that big of a deal beyond not always properly guessing where the oil is going to spill out.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
I have noticed oil changes have become more of a PITA on newer vehicles, and an older human body. filter wrenches suck, oily mess is impossible to avoid, drain bolt always busts my knuckle...

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
My "buddy" did me a "favor" when I let him borrow my Fusion, and got the oil changed at jiffy lube. It hasn't ran the same since. I wish he woulda just put some gas in the tank. Friends like these....

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
My "buddy" did me a "favor" when I let him borrow my Fusion, and got the oil changed at jiffy lube. It hasn't ran the same since. I wish he woulda just put some gas in the tank. Friends like these....
If he took my vehicle to Jiffy Lube he'd never borrow one again. Even after his black eye healed.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
Dealer charged me $54.95. Usually I do it myself but that beat jacking it up and moving tires around in 90+ degree heat.
I got one of these for the clips from Amazon, $5.99 plus tax.

That looks similar to the chrome interior clip tool I bought from Snap On 30 + years ago. For about $30 if I remember right. I slide it under the head of the screw to apply a little pressure and it screws right out.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals